Problem - JetBlue VS. AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CatfishVT9 said:
I'm looking for a destination, so where I start, I plan to stay.

Careful....

Many a pilots have said this and they ended up on their 7th airline.....;)

Just kidding.... congrats and good luck.

Congrats on such great choices...that speaks volumes of not only your flight background, but more importantly, your personality.

I'm biased of course, but I'll add that JetBlue uses a pref bidding program that I'm sure you'll love (AT might have it too, I just don't know). It really enhances your QOL by having the ability to pick and choose trips, and especially, specific days off. We also have a very liberal trip trade/drop system that allows for even more tailoring.

Good luck on your decision...and remember not to look back!

furloughed dude said:
Geez man, you're like a woman. Make a choice and move on. Quit giving us a play by play and make a decision by yourself!

F Dude,

Get a Life!!!!!!!

'nuff said.

Fish,

CONGRATS and good luck with whichever way you go!

Catfish,

Congrats. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind and you are just looking for some reassurance. You were set on AirTran, but seems you were so impressed with the atmosphere at JetBlue that you are willing to completely shift gears. Good thing you went to the interview, huh?

I'd go with your gut instinct, and sounds to me like you are leaning toward the Blue side. Have fun in that brand new paperless A320 cockpit.

Good luck!

In the next year we will take nearly 31 aircraft, with 70+ to follow, we have 75 right now.

Pura Vida said:

What I was referring to is that JB requires a pilot to sign a 5 year employment contract. At the end of that 5 years the company is free to terminate you without cause.

Is that not how it's written? I'm not saying that JB would do that, but from what I've been told, it is in there.

Not true...in fact quite the opposite...here is what is said in the JetBlue 2003 annual stockholders report:

"We enter into an individual employment agreement with each of our FAA-licensed employees, which include pilots, dispatchers and technicians. Each employment agreement is for the term of five years and automatically renews for an additional five-year term unless either the employee or we elect to not renew it by giving notice at least 90 days before the end of the initial term. Pursuant to these agreements, these employees can only be terminated for cause. In the event of a downturn in our business, we are obligated to pay these employees a guaranteed level of income and to continue their benefits if they do not obtain other aviation employment. In addition, in the event we are sold to or consolidate with another company, we must request that the successor company place these employees on a preferential hiring list. If such employees are not hired by the successor company, in some cases they will be entitled to a severance payment of up to one year's salary."

V2

V2+10 said:
Not true...in fact quite the opposite...here is what is said in the JetBlue 2003 annual stockholders report:

"Each employment agreement is for the term of five years and automatically renews for an additional five-year term unless either the employee or we elect to not renew it by giving notice at least 90 days before the end of the initial term. Pursuant to these agreements, these employees can only be terminated for cause. ."

V2

This clears it up a bit, but it still says that one or both parties can elect to "not renew it"...

The second part about being terminated for cause leads me to believe that they are talking about a person could only be dismissed during the 5 yr. period for cause. At the end of the 5 yr. period management could at that time elect not to renew the contract because you are not being terminated; you are simply not having your contract renewed.

So it seems that the quoted paragraph deals with two different scenerios.

Not taking sides. Just looking at it and asking, "hmmm...how would an attorney interpret this?"

Schedule observation:

One thing I have noticed about Jetblue is that they have some pretty relentless schedules. They get onto the 4AM van on the east coast, get into California early in the morning, "sleep" in the hotel for several hours, then fly the redeye back to New York.

I'm not saying there aren't a ton of great things about Jetblue but I wouldn't think that schedule is for me. However, there may be some good things about that schedule that I don't know about like tons of days off with high block hours.

This information is from the crewbus only. I don't know anything else about Jetblues schedules. Also, since Airtran is starting more left coast flying this could happen there also.

Comments?

The pilots actually work with scheduling, to produce the best pairings based on the flying. We ask for productivity, so the pairings normally run about 6 hours of credit a day.

Most people get about 15-16 days off a month for 82 hours of credit, senior people can easily get that with 17-19 days off.

As far as whether AAI or JBLU, that is a hard choice, but certainly a great position to be in.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back