Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8tor19

Glad national is looking out for us.
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Fellow Pilot,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]On September 6, you received a letter from your former MEC Chairman on his final day in office as the EGL MEC Chairman. His letter expressed many concerns, but focused most on recent negotiations at PSA and on ALPA?s response to your company requests for concessions.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]I will not respond to his letter point-by-point; however, I feel that it is important for you to understand the Association?s perspective with regards to the future of the regional industry. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]It is my belief that our approach should be to always deliberately discuss and understand the world we live in, carefully weigh all the facts and alternatives, and respond thoughtfully and without emotion to ensure that we protect existing work and build career paths for the future of our members.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Today, the Fee-For-Departure (FFD) pilots and their companies are facing intense industry pressure similar to that faced by legacy pilots in the last decade following 9/11. The external factors present during that period resulted in downward modification to collective bargaining agreements. Mainline contracts are returning more closely to an appropriate standard for pay, benefits, work rules and job security provisions. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Prolonged economic downturn, consolidation, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]high[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,serif] fuel prices, and an increased focus on capacity discipline has led mainlines to constrain affiliate capacity, focus on larger more fuel efficient jets, and reduce the overall costs they pay to FFD carriers. This includes an increased focus on FFD pilot block hour costs. With stagnation in the industry increasing longevity costs at some carriers, there is a wide disparity in pilot block hour costs. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]The economic factors listed above, along with an increase to the regulated retirement age, have limited career growth opportunities as well as slowed hiring. This resulted in increased longevity among FFD pilots during the past 10 years. At some airlines ? Eagle and Endeavor (formerly Pinnacle), for example ? higher average longevity has been one of the biggest cost drivers in those contracts. Pilot longevity also played a huge role in making Comair financially uncompetitive. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]While actual Year 15 rates between two carriers may only be as little as 2% apart, one carrier will have much higher average longevity than the other and this longevity component can raise pilot block hour costs from approximately $275 to $350 per hour. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Consider these current realities: [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]? [FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Mainline carriers are now re-equipping their FFD affiliates where large capital expenditures are needed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]? [FONT=Times New Roman,serif]We are in a bargaining cycle where overcapacity exists and mainline airlines have choices over where to allocate this flying. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]? [FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Mainline carriers don't need our help to achieve lower block hour costs; they can achieve this simply by using existing lower cost partners to do the flying. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]I?m confident that consolidation at FFD carriers, an improving economic picture, and more fuel efficient and larger jets will improve our negotiating leverage in the next few years. We will again be in a stronger bargaining position in the near future, just like at mainline carriers and like the robust and favorable bargaining during FFD negotiations between 1999 and 2004.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]Normal turnover, increased hiring at mainline carriers as a result of increased number of retirements, and new hiring at the regional level, will eventually lower longevity costs. But what do we do in the meantime? We have tough choices to make about how to protect our members? work at existing carriers, and where necessary, to provide soft landings for pilots at FFD carriers that may not survive rather than force fellow pilots to start over at the bottom of someone else?s seniority list. We also need to continue to pressure the brands to take more responsibility for their affiliates as well.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]ALPA pilots have never been afraid of tough choices or hard work to protect our profession. We discuss the issues, weigh the pros and cons, and make decisions that are deliberate and thoughtful rather than emotional. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif]FFD carrier representatives gathered a few weeks ago and again last week to discuss these issues, and they'll meet again in November to make collective decisions. As always, they will have the support of my office and the Association?s resources to carry out their mission. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif] Captain L** M****
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

It's laughable. Thank you for posting the letter. Mainline pilots are securing 30% pay increases and regional pilots are being asked to take cuts. They can all kiss my ass. My vote is my power. Pay up or go fuk yourselves.

What is most striking is the total lack of any comprehensive strategy.

He basically blamed increased longevity as being the main problem, and said that this will correct itself over time, but in the meantime, blah blah blah, we always work together, blah blah blah, tough choices, blah blah blah....

Where is the leadership to lay out a strategy that will stop or limit the whipsaw? Where is the REAL analysis of what is occurring in the regional industry, and WHY?

That's a pretty impotent posture from ALPA national who is duty bound to represent the best interests of its members. Fortunately supply side economics will help provide some relief for those providing lift in service of their mainline partners. They are going to have a tough time filling classes.

I don't think you're going to see that many more jobs at the majors other than attritions & retirements. Many will be able to go but many will not. Regionals will be around until we start kicking sand back in management's face, then regionals will begin to disappear, one by one. Until then, PAY ME! And NO concessions!

Latest resources

Back