• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preferential Bidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hate to burst your kool-aide bubble, but the forced pairings are a CN code for "coverage"...and there is nothing you can do about those when they are forced on your schedule! I've actually gone over my bids with several different PBS trainers and have gotten the same poor results. I've even talked to KH about trying to get better results, but the bottom line is if the pairings we get to choose from aren't any good, then the lines you achieve can't be much good either!
Do you think it's realistic to want to get more than a day or 2 off more than a new hire on reserve???

All I know from what was told to me is that CN is usually the result of a bid failure. The upcoming feasibility tour should help correct the plague of CNs.

I worked on making my bid feasible and only had one CN pairing this year which was a local because I Did not bid enough credit. Yes the pairings definately need work. The problem is if you have crappy pairings with hard lines you get even worse schedules and have no control over your own destiny. Yes you should be getting quite a few more days off than a new hire reserve.

All I know from what was told to me is that CN is usually the result of a bid failure. The upcoming feasibility tour should help correct the plague of CNs.

I worked on making my bid feasible and only had one CN pairing this year which was a local because I Did not bid enough credit. Yes the pairings definately need work. The problem is if you have crappy pairings with hard lines you get even worse schedules and have no control over your own destiny. Yes you should be getting quite a few more days off than a new hire reserve.

PBS was "sold" to us as something that would improve our quality of life, and we were told that it would allow crew sked to concentrate on improving the pairings for us... With the hard lines we previously bid I always had off at least 16 or 17 days a month, now it's more like 12 or 13, and the credit values are actually down too!!! HOW is that an improvement?

I was at the past two LEC meetings. Does "we can't disclose the details, but will let you know when more information becomes available" sound familiar? The free food is great, but no progress is ever made...

I admit it is frustrating. There are multiple issues here. To few volunteer, so little time left over for communication. As far as the slow progress, welcome to the RLA. And the RLA under the Bush administration, at that.

I have other career options. This particular job doesn't mean squat to me. I could care less if the place shut down.

I'm with you there. Again, welcome to the RLA under Bush. We don't get to chose when we can go on strike.

Why would you tell anyone you were taking the day off for Pref Bid? An organized Pref Bid Appreciation Day (Sick out) would work wonders.

and be completely illegal. See above.

When is the last time any union rep returned a phone call, an email, or stood up to abusive policies?

Um, well I don't know what LEC you are in, but certainly the FO reps in MSP and DTW at the very least are good about returning calls. And they are constantly standing up for pilots at representation meetings.

The plumbers union has more power than ALPA.

See RLA comments above. You want it to change? Back the PAC.

Turbo

I'm new at 9E so this is my first bid and I haven't used the old system. I don't see how a new system would make someone get a reserve line who previously held a regular line. The number of lines hasn't changed has it? The biggest problem I am having is the system is extremely slow. It took me hours to put in a simple bid. I've read the manual twice and it seems to me that to get what you want you have to input a large number of specific "desires" and "avoids". The best way to do this appears to be to make a "standing bid" with all your parameters and adjust each month for any temporary issues. Since I will no doubt get reserve no matter what I don't suppose it makes much difference what I ask for. My only hope is as a commuter I can get my reserve days and off days grouped together as much as possible to keep travel down. I used the commuter template in the manual as a starting point. It does seem to me that the senior guys used to bidding for specific lines will have a hard time manipulating the system to get what they want. I have to admit that I am having a hard time understanding the "analyzer" and how to make it work for me.

I think there are three things needed for PBS to work for you. 1. The more seniority you have the better. 2. A large domicile with lots of pairings to choose from. 3. A good working knowledge of the program. Since PBS around 75% of the trips I fly are trips I bid. I've had every major holiday off and every day I've tried to get off. I haven't had any forced flying (yet) as well. So far PBS has been good to me but if you don't have all three things I mentioned above it can be lousy.

I have other career options. This particular job doesn't mean squat to me. I could care less if the place shut down.

I am sick of this attitude. People who do this for the heck of it, own 10 houses and 3 franchizes on the side - Oh, I would fly this nifty plane for $5 an hour if that's what it took for the company to be competitive.

Well guess what. I'm up to my eyeballs in debt and need this godforsaken job to pay it off. Unfortunately I can't pay my debt off because this is barely a liveable wage!

I am an AIRLINE PILOT. I'm not some real estate mogul who flies an airliner on the weekends for fun.

I dont' think mr poopy finger is necessarily one of these types, but his post reminded me of it. BUT, to you mr. poopy finger, if you don't like what your MEC is doing, then GET INVOLVED!!!

Wow... Sounds like somebody isn't get the McFeely they Mcnormally get..

Bummer dude..

Latest resources

Back