• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Preferential Bidding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
in a poll conducted at SkyWest among the pilot group, respondents indicated that their schedules were better with PBS than with hard lines by more than 2 to 1.

and if you decide you don't want it, won't ALPA 'protect' you from it? that is what some here seem to believe.

I have heard SkyWest people complain about PBS mostly. I think it mostly has to do with the "paramaters" that the company sets in. I.E. you bid vacation and it is set to assign a trip on both ends of it, rather than a hard line which can extend your vacation???

Why couldn't you put "no PBS" in your contract? I think that would be fairly efficient at keeping it away if you didn't want it, unless you do not have a union / contract in which case you get whatever the company wants.

www.alpa.org/colgan

So what's the story, did ALPA negotiate a side letter to implement PBS? What did you guys get in return?

We negotiated to let the company implement pref bid during our 1999 contract. We received a $250,000 negotiating credit for it.

If you want days off on either side of your vaction just bid them as off days> XXvvvvvXX

If you want days off on either side of your vaction just bid them as off days> XXvvvvvXX

The problem is when you run pref bid with critically short staffing. You get your vacation but the computer still builds you a min time off 90 hour line. In a well staffed operation pref bid works pretty good. We haven't been well staffed at PCL in over 5 years though.

I agree the computer will start filling in scheds from the bottom of the list. FO's get hit the hardest.

Skywest pilots prefer PBS 2 to 1? That didn't happen to be a SAPA poll did it? The only other explanation is that the poll was taken when PBS was first implemented. In an effort to trick the pilot group into thinking that they were getting a good deal, the company sugar coated the schedules for a couple of months. Skynation must be spending his time hanging out with the spin kings DL, DA and JB.

I don't remember when the poll was taken. I don't know DL, DA or JB from Adam.

The only pissing and moaning I've heard about PBS has been on the company boards. I've never flown with someone who didn't say that their life was better with PBS.

I've never flown with someone who didn't say that their life was better with PBS.

What percentage of pilots even have used both systems extensively? The guys who used line bid for a long time are probably very senior hence pref bid works for them regardless.

Latest resources

Back