Possible New Fall Staffing Solution at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are kidding, right? RIGHT?!?!?!

If you were sincere when you posted this, you are part of the problem, and, frankly, a large part of the reason why racism still exists today.

By posting this, you are overtly supporting hiring decisions based solely off of skin color, or possibly, gender.

Wake up, pal. It's 2010.

If you heard her talk in the crew lounge she did too.

Is she black? I haven't seen one black female DAL pilot before so to me the hiring is justified if that is the case. CAL on the other hand has quite a few black female FOs

It's not the burden of an airline to disproportionately represent an underrepresented group of people behind the controls of it's aircraft. Hiring the most qualified and safe applicants is, however, the burden of an airline.

Point being, you haven't seen one black female pilot at DAL because there are hardly any black female pilots in existence. So when one pops up, Delta should toss aside a stack of highly qualified applicants just so they can "nab her"? Why? So they can say "hey look how diverse we are!" What does that accomplish? Who is that going to impress? Passengers? Because when passengers get onto an aircraft, in the back of their mind, they don't care what color their pilots are. Black, white, asian, pacific, whatever, they just care that they are competent.

Delta probably doesn't have any black female bicurious three-toed pilots, either. They better find one quick.

It's not the burden of an airline to disproportionately represent an underrepresented group of people behind the controls of it's aircraft. Hiring the most qualified and safe applicants is, however, the burden of an airline.

Point being, you haven't seen one black female pilot at DAL because there are hardly any black female pilots in existence. So when one pops up, Delta should toss aside a stack of highly qualified applicants just so they can "nab her"? Why? So they can say "hey look how diverse we are!" What does that accomplish? Who is that going to impress? Passengers? Because when passengers get onto an aircraft, in the back of their mind, they don't care what color their pilots are. Black, white, asian, pacific, whatever, they just care that they are competent.

Delta probably doesn't have any black female bicurious three-toed pilots, either. They better find one quick.

Exactly!

Is she black? I haven't seen one black female DAL pilot before so to me the hiring is justified if that is the case. CAL on the other hand has quite a few black female FOs

The more of them Delta has before you get an interview there, the less likely you'll be hired. Keep that in mind.

Bypassing??? I thought if they didn't come back they were done. I agree WTF is the union doing bending over backwards for the company. 3 runs in like 2 weeks??? worthless, sure I'll be working this Christmas haven't worked one in 8 years.

Take this from a skywester that learned to beat the PBS system and hasn't worked a christmas in 4 years. Just don't bid. I quit bidding at all a long time ago, pbs gets confused and doesnt know what to take away from me to replace with a "company need". I end up with better stuff than I could have asked for.

You nailed it!!! Too bad our government would rather have the right boxes checked off, than worry about silly things like qualifications and safety!!!!!

Take this from a skywester that learned to beat the PBS system and hasn't worked a christmas in 4 years. Just don't bid. I quit bidding at all a long time ago, pbs gets confused and doesnt know what to take away from me to replace with a "company need". I end up with better stuff than I could have asked for.

haha, thanks for the tip.

You nailed it!!! Too bad our government would rather have the right boxes checked off, than worry about silly things like qualifications and safety!!!!!

That isn't how it works. All things being equal, they may choose a "diversity candidate." That means they are just as qualified as you are. Delta has no shortage of applications, and they won't hire someone who isn't good enough to make it through training, even if they are a diversity candidate.

Every airline has hired pilots they wish they hadn't for any number of the wrong reasons, such as; they knew the right people, they were related to the right people, deep pocket financed flight time with no valuable experience, they interviewed and tested well due to massive interview prep giving a false impression of actual skills, they really really looked the part and sold themselves well, or maybe they came from the military so they must be great, right?

So what's the harm in having one more stupid reason to hire someone? God knows none of us would want to do away with many of the above listed reasons, depending on which one helps us out.

At least this reason is based on good intentions, wether rightly executed or not, meant to correct the undeniable economic disparities in our society. It takes more than speeches by the formerly jive talking Bill Cosby to fix things. And yes, I know "two wrongs don't make a right", but we got to start somewhere.

And I do apologize for contributing to the thread hijack.

Latest resources

Back