• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Position and Hold Clearence's Not Auihorized come September

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instead of restricting the use of "position and hold" why not decrease the practice of having a single controller running local, ground, clearance, etc, all at once?

That wouldn't fix the situation at all...just add more voices and more frequencies and more people who must coordinate to prevent a runway incursion.

Runway incursions have been a hot potato for several years now (potatoe if you're Dan Quayle)...we're generally talking accidental incursions when someone taxies where they're not supposed to be. Confuse that by putting people intentionally on the runway to sit and wait, and the potential increases by a large margin.

Crossing train tracks is potentially dangerous...there's one place the trains congregate and travel, and that's on the tracks. If you're going to get hit by a train, it's going to be while crossing the tracks. Running through traffic on the highway is more dangerous than being off the highway, normally. Standing in front of a loaded weapon is generally a whole lot less dangerous than standing behind it, though weapons of serious stature kill in front and wound behind. Being on an active runway should be considered nothing different than being on the train tracks...spend as little time as you can there.

Unless I know I'll be rolling right away, I don't like spending any more time on the runway than I must. It's the one place that everybody intends to go on every flight it's potentially the greatest chance of having an incursion and accident, and one should minimize one's time there to the shortest interval possible. Avoiding positioning and holding accomplishes this just fine.

Slightly off subject but still within limits. Was flyin into ANE in Minneapolis on thrusday and the controller said if i wanted 36 or 27. Wind was right down the runway on 27 so I choose that and he clears me to land like 6 miles out. Well I'm on dwind, then base and as I am turning base to short final he clears an "experimental" (which in actuallity a type of trainer jet or something) for takeoff on runway 36. My mind does a really quick click and I chime in and say. "ummmm tower 12345 is on a short final to 27". Hes like, "ohhhhh, thx for that, experimental 123 position and hold". Think thats really about the first time in 8 years of flying that a controller has cleared an aircraft for takeoff while i'm on short final on a crossing runway. The timing prolly woulda been perfect too. By the time I hit the concrete he prolly woulda been in takeoff roll approaching me fast. Just goes to show I guess to always be alert. Tower controllers are human too and we have to back em up.

Latest resources

Back