Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo, 30 days out from possible strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There should be no change as far as the new hires are concerned, they should still be allowed to attend class. Listen to your Vars and ask if in doubt.

-300 i guess you'll need some more rest. Might be a good time for vacation :)

N1N2 said:
Does this include people who are in new hire training status, or will they still be allowed to attend class?

Would not include newbies as per the contract, and many Atlas ground instructors are not ALPA. It would however shut down the sim portion of training since the instructors are Atlas pilots (Unless they cross the line).

A student would not be a scab until they completed IOE. If they fly an airplane after they have been cleared to the line then all bets are off.

That is the way I understand it, however make sure you get an official ruling from the MEC prior to operating any airplane, Personally I would get something in writing from ALPA prior to attending a ground school. I am not about to scab for anybody, especially a company that fires probationary newhires just because they were mad at the Union and prior to any self help actions.

(NOTE: Do not take this as gospel, contact your MEC if you have any questions. They are the only source for official info on the subject.)

Further info....

Looks like the restraining order is in effect, to an extent. The struck work rules are still out, however the court did rule that no Atlas pilot can be disiplined for not crossing a picket line. And that they are not required to cross any Polar picket line.

So it comes down to a cat and mouse game I guess. The company will run around trying to find entrances that do not have a picket, and the picketeers will run around trying to seal the entrances.

Still looks like the training center will be shut out. Easy for the picket lines to cover it. From what I heard the Alaska and Asian airports will be easy for them to cover as well.

Getting to be like watching a football game around that place! "There he goes John, dodges a tackle, looks like he may score, but wait, at the last minute he was brought down at the door!

Sympathy?

Is this how Polar expects to cultivate sympathy from the Atlas crews? By interfering with their assigned duties?

By making scabs out of guys who report for their own training?

Atlas crews were never given the privilege of taking a strike vote and now it seems as if one (a strike) has been thrust upon them.

It seems as if misery loves company and the story of Polar and Atlas will end up more like Caine and Abel.

I LOVE you too MAR!!!!
icon7.gif

Dunno how this one is going to play out. The struck rules are out, so that means that Atlas can load the planes with Polar cargo and not be a scab.

So the only thing left to the Polar strikers seems to be the picket lines. Looks like the Judge threw each side a bone.

At least the Atlas crews and MEC are getting a dry run of what to expect next year in their contract negotiations. Kind of like getting to be second on the green to see how fast or slow it is by watching your partner putt!

Gonna have to whip up some more popcorn and watch how this one flows.

"-300 i guess you'll need some more rest."

Don't worry about me, Pat. I'll be fine. I'm back to a normal schedule now.

The next couple of days should be interesting.

Corporate Slug said:
At least the Atlas crews and MEC are getting a dry run of what to expect next year in their contract negotiations.

I thought the Atlas guys have a no strike clause. They will have to sign whatever the company offers them in Janurary won't they?

heilhaavir said:
There should be no change as far as the new hires are concerned, they should still be allowed to attend class. Listen to your Vars and ask if in doubt.

If the newhires attend class.......Who's going to be doing the teaching???;)

"Just heard that the Judge ruled in the Unions favor."

Actually, the judge ruled in favor of AAWW. He found that the company would suffer from irreparable harm in the absence of an injunction. He also stated that the no-strike LOA issue is a MINOR DISPUTE that should be resolved by a System Board.

"My guess is that ALPA national and the Atlas MEC will be coming out with something soon re-establishing the affirmation of SCAB status for any crew member crossing a legal picket line."

I doubt it. The judge ordered "ALPA, the Atlas MEC and their
members, agents, employees, and all persons and organizations acting by, in concert with, through or under them, or by and through their orders, are hereby enjoined from calling, permitting, instigating, authorizing, encouraging, participating in, approving or continuing self-
help of any kind, including, but not limited to, any strike, sympathy strike, slowdown, work stoppage, withholding of services in whole or in part, other concerted refusal to perform normal employment duties, or other cessation of work or disturbances economic or otherwise, in support of the Defendants' and/or the Master Executive Council for Polar Air Cargo's ("Polar MEC") strike activity at Polar Air Cargo, Inc. ("Polar'), provided however that the foregoing shall not require Atlas Crewmembers represented by ALPA to physically cross an actual picket line established by or on behalf of pilots represented by any union lawfully certified or recognized pursuant to the Railway Labor Act."

The above remains in effect until at least October 5, 2005.

All Atlas crewmembers are being instructed that they must continue their normal working schedule and practices and to take no steps to engage in any form of self-help, per the judges ruling.

It's amazing that anyone could try to spin this as an ALPA win. Atlas is back to operations normal today!

Latest resources

Back