Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Polar Air Cargo, 30 days out from possible strike.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bman

Hope that everything for you at home goes ok. Sorry about the house and the bike.

Everything that Polar is going through is for the good of the whole pilot group if there is a merger. We need to stop fighting with each other and forget the past. I guess the Atlas MEC put out a very good VARS message on the 28th. Fly safe

bman

There are idiots every where you go. Most of the adults at Polar know what a SCAB is. I apologize that you had a run in with someone that does not know the difference. Some of us at Polar are aware of the score.

Come on guys, we can disagre but everyone's entitled to an opinion, Bman included. For the ones who use the word "scab" a bit too losely, watch what you say...

B747-300, where does the 12% offer come from? That's a new one for me, but please, when you make a statement, reference it, don't just repeat what Joe Blow told you cause he heard it from someon else.
Also, why would you care if we lose our jobs or not? You should be happy dude, so relax, fly safe, and let us decide if we want to shut it down or not. If there is a REAL offer, we might consider it and decide if we accept it or not. As we speak there is NO offer on the table, not 10.5%, not 12%, NADA!
I'll repeat myself since you don't seem to get it. If PO is not profitable, why even make an offer to the group? How can a smart guy like you expect anybody to keep on subsidizing a losing operation? Hell, shut it down, lock us out, absolutely not impressed.

bman said:
Listen guys

I hate seeing what happened to you guys, but I'm sorry I just don't understand all of this. I think its stupid. Is this what being at a 121 carrier nowdays is all about? Atlas vs AACS, AACS vs GSS, Polar vs Atlas, Mgmt vs EVERYONE!

Welcome to non-sked/scum bag / freight dogging it. Looks like management is pulling plays out of the old book.

heilhaavir said:
B747-300, where does the 12% offer come from? That's a new one for me, but please, when you make a statement, reference it, don't just repeat what Joe Blow told you cause he heard it from someon else.
Also, why would you care if we lose our jobs or not? You should be happy dude, so relax, fly safe, and let us decide if we want to shut it down or not. If there is a REAL offer, we might consider it and decide if we accept it or not. As we speak there is NO offer on the table, not 10.5%, not 12%, NADA!
I'll repeat myself since you don't seem to get it. If PO is not profitable, why even make an offer to the group? How can a smart guy like you expect anybody to keep on subsidizing a losing operation? Hell, shut it down, lock us out, absolutely not impressed.

There is currently no offer on the table because your MEC rejected the 12% offer without consulting the membership. The offer was withdrawn when the cooling-off period began. The source for my information is your own MEC. Didn't you participate in the conference call??

Polar does scheduled flying, which means that Polar (not the customer, as is the case with ACMI) pays for the fuel it uses. Maybe the offer was made (essentially an 18 month contract extension plus the 12% raise) with the hope that Polar would be able to survive until fuel prices drop. How can a smart guy like you not understand what economic forces dictate airline profitability?

I really don't care if Polar survives or not. Actually, I think it would be better for the Atlas crews if Polar went away. No more whipsaw and no more knife in the back from your MEC during end game contract negotiations.

Finally, you are not in control of your future at this point. Your fate will be determined by Atlas management or the idiots on your MEC. You're just along for the ride now. And your final paycheck is only a couple of weeks away, me thinks.

300, I really don't think you've read my posts, so I'll repeat one LAST time: they can shut it down whenever they want, doesn't move me a bit :p

Cheerios

B747-300,

If flying scheduled cargo around the world is so unprofitable, why are companies like Korean, Air China, China Air, NCA, JAL, NWA, UPS, FEDEx, etc. making so much freakin money doing it? These companies are so profitable and so busy right now that they need to farm out (read ACMI) a good percentage of their flying to bottom feeders like Southern, Tradewinds, Focus, and the king of the bottom feeders Atlas.

If (and that's a big "if") Polar really is unprofitable, it really says a lot about the sorry management at Atlas Air that they are unable to make money in the Asian market even with high fuel costs. I know it probably offends you to hear someone bad mouth management, it is quite obvious you are either management yourself, or one of those gung-ho Cato Zombies that believes every word out of Purchase as if it was gold.

China, China Air, NCA, JAL, NWA, UPS, FEDEx, etc. making so much freakin money doing it? These companies are so profitable and so busy right now that they need to farm out (read ACMI) a good percentage of their flying to bottom feeders like Southern, Tradewinds, Focus, and the king of the bottom feeders Atlas.

If (and that's a big "if") Polar really is unprofitable, it really says a lot about the sorry management at Atlas Air that they are unable to make money in the Asian market even with high fuel costs. I know it probably offends you to hear someone bad mouth management, it is quite obvious you are either management yourself, or one of those gung-ho Cato Zombies that believes every word out of Purchase as if it was gold.

Can't agree with you more on this one furloughfodder!

Why do you keep repeating 12% raise? That was never the offer and the POLAR MEC does NOT say it was. You also ignore the FACT Atlas pay rates are 30-40% HIGHER than Polar's in addition to the Atlas 401k match being 5% vs. 2% at Polar. (Check out ailinepilotcentral.com )

As far as ACMI vs. scheduled flying goes nothing in the Polar pilot's contract precludes doing ACMI flying or requires the company to CONTINUE scheduled service. Management CHOOSES what type of flying Polar does just like it CHOOSES what Atlas flies.

What we are curently witnessing is a classic case of whipsawing where you are obligingly supporting management against fellow pilots. Do not think for a moment that management doesn't have people monitoring these boards as well as the ALPA boards.

B747-300 said:
There is currently no offer on the table because your MEC rejected the 12% offer without consulting the membership. The offer was withdrawn when the cooling-off period began. The source for my information is your own MEC. Didn't you participate in the conference call??

Polar does scheduled flying, which means that Polar (not the customer, as is the case with ACMI) pays for the fuel it uses. Maybe the offer was made (essentially an 18 month contract extension plus the 12% raise) with the hope that Polar would be able to survive until fuel prices drop. How can a smart guy like you not understand what economic forces dictate airline profitability?

I really don't care if Polar survives or not. Actually, I think it would be better for the Atlas crews if Polar went away. No more whipsaw and no more knife in the back from your MEC during end game contract negotiations.

Finally, you are not in control of your future at this point. Your fate will be determined by Atlas management or the idiots on your MEC. You're just along for the ride now. And your final paycheck is only a couple of weeks away, me thinks.

Reality CHECK!

Guys, Polar is not going to go under, shut down, or loose all of its flying. All of this would have happened a long time ago if any of it were true. What kind of an idiot would continue to run a business that makes no money? What kind of an idiot would invest in a company like that? Companies only run on sound buisness cases. All of this is just propaganda and none of it is true. If any if it were true then why are we just now hearing about it during contract negotiations?

As Clint Eastwood once said: "Don't piss on my back and tell me its raining!"

So just hold steady, stay the course and stand together!;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back