Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Please help a fellow union brother not SCAB.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought Netjets was a closed shop/Teamsters? And Ohio is not Right-to-work... That would pretty much seal it. What's changed Diesel?

I thought Netjets was a closed shop/Teamsters? And Ohio is not Right-to-work... That would pretty much seal it. What's changed Diesel?

Closed shop Njasap local union.

Ohio is right to work I believe.

Some pilots just don't want to help out lifting.

Closed shop=Membership reqd. Check your bylaws, ought to be able to toss a strikebreaker out of the union. Not a member=not working.

Quick search looks like Ohio is a battlefront state for right to work. Not sure about recent months, but in the not so distant past it looks like you are not "right to work". Teamsters union would have kept everybody up to date on this, and you need to find out. Statements alone can get a worker thrown from the union. Run this issue to a ground wire and find out. It would correct your peers behavior real quick, and change mgts behavior too.

*gutshotdraw gave this bulletpoint in another thread:

"Prohibit our union from respecting the primary picket line of a fellow union;"

This is something NJA mgt wants? Not even sure that's legal?! If they're asking for it contractually then current state law must be unclear. Or it's being contested over whether or not Ohio is RTW

Last edited:
NetJets is actually an Agency shop. A pilot does not HAVE to join the union but will still pay fees equal to dues in any case. However, they will be unable to participate in elections or hold office. The only way to move a "fee payer" off the property is if they refuse to pay their fees.

@Flopgut Our current CBA guarantees our right to honor the primary picket line of ANY union. Airline, hotel, taxicab, etc. Our management presented us with their "Four Pillars" proposal several months ago. One of those demanded pillars was to specifically PROHIBIT the pilots from honoring a primary picket line. To my knowledge, there is no prohibition of that concept in the NLRA or the RLA. Of course, that is an absolute non-starter with our negotiating committee.

That's something that a lot of contracts carry. Seems like a stretch on their part to go after it.*

Was it not a traditional closed shop when it was Teamsters?

*Youre a small shop in a hugely important labor state. You might be tip of the spear for the RTW movement and not know it. Or if you aren't, interject yourselves into the debate. Get Cleveland Rail labor leadership involved? Get those hardasses that work in the mills advice. How about asking the Teamsters for help?

Last edited:
You should contact Spirit people, those are the ones all of us owe for drawing a line and not crossing it! Also, in todays day and age, any scabbers would be called out and names known within seconds of their poor decision to cross a line, IIRC, the 2 guys that flew a charter for spirit had their names on line before they even landed. In the old days a type written list would make it's way around a few months later, not so much anymore.

Even way back when Executive Jet was first organized under Teamsters Local 284 more than 25 years ago, it was an agency shop. In the mid-2000's, a new local IBT 1108 was created. Then, in the late 2000's, IBT was decertifed in favor of an in-house known as Netjets Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots or NJASAP. In late 2010, the previously non-union division of NetJets (NJI Inc. aka NetJets International aka the Gulfstreams) was integrated into NJASAP.

We recently exercised our rights to respect a primary picket line when we refused to stay in a crew hotel in SJC that was being struck by the hotel engineers. Clearly, respect one respect all but the protection is primarily in place to refuse trips if our FA's go out. They have been negotiating for FOUR YEARS and are no closer to an agreement.

In spite of the fact I grew up in a hardcore union family (non-aviation) I didn't totally grasp the depth of what it meant to be a scab until I heard this on NPR. It's about European coal strikes, but it resonates true regardless of what unionized group you work with.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/19/371879356/no-son-of-mine

Was it not a traditional closed shop when it was Teamsters?

Closed shops are illegal in America. Agency shop is the best you can do.

Latest resources

Back