mlk
den
cle
ict
chs
sav
mso
------
job security at Swa comes from doing the job so much better than every other carrier-
first job I've had where i never have to ask for a ramper or jet bridge driver- never. I barely remember any flights at all where i didn't ask for 1 of them at my previous carriers.

Most of my previous flights had at least one aspect that didn't quite work out.
At Swa- most have all aspects work.

It's just run better. Simply better.

Atl
Calgary
Toronto
Vancouver
Edmonton
cancun
cabo
Mexico city
Bahamas
san Juan, pr
----------
msp- far from saturated
mlk
den
cle
ict
chs
sav
mso
------
job security at Swa comes from doing the job so much better than every other carrier-
first job I've had where i never have to ask for a ramper or jet bridge driver- never. I barely remember any flights at all where i didn't ask for 1 of them at my previous carriers.

Thanks for the laugh, you should make some buttons or stickers with those quotes, but definitely have the Kool-Aid Guy saying, "SouthWest Airlines, it's just run better. Simply better! Ohhhh!!! Yeahhhh!!!".

"Thanks for the laugh..."

Why do you dismiss his comments as frivolous? Isn't a well running system important? If you had no non-rev travel priviledges and were going to have to pay good money to fly from Florida to the Northeast and back this week for the Holidays who would you pick, SWA or some gummed up, dysfunctional legacy with no plan how to deal with another weather related system meltdown?

"Thanks for the laugh..."

Why do you dismiss his comments as frivolous? Isn't a well running system important? If you had no non-rev travel priviledges and were going to have to pay good money to fly from Florida to the Northeast and back this week for the Holidays who would you pick, SWA or some gummed up, dysfunctional legacy with no plan how to deal with another weather related system meltdown?

I would go with the cheapest ticket just like the majority of customers. Price is king my friend and for now we have the advantage.

Last edited:
I would go with the cheapest ticket just like the majority of customers. Price is king my friend and for now we have the advantage.
He's right. I've been without pass privileges now for 2 1/2 years (although I have jumpseat privileges). It's been interesting to see the experience from the other side of the aisle... literally.

Price rules. Back in September I took my son to Disney before I had shoulder surgery. Southwest tickets? $230 per person round-trip. AirTran? $79 per person round-trip, but I had to spend $60 to drive back and forth to TYS. Still a heck of a lot cheaper, so I took AirTran, even though there was only one backup out of TYS if they canceled it.

Not as much goes into a ticket price selection as you might think. Price is king. Schedule is a distant 2nd. Backup contingency plans? You're thinking like a non-rev... Most revenue passengers don't think of it that way.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree, Southwest has a much smoother-running machine than AirTran. However, overall, with assigned seating, business class availability, and the XM radio, I prefer AirTran's actual product over Southwest's if I have to sit in the back, but if you put that product with Southwest's service and performance behind it, and you'd have one heck of an airline.

"...but if you put that product with Southwest's service and performance behind it, and you'd have one heck of an airline."

Maybe they will!

Atl
Calgary
Toronto
Vancouver
Edmonton
cancun
cabo
Mexico city
Bahamas
san Juan, pr
----------
msp- far from saturated
mlk
den
cle
ict
chs
sav
mso
------
Didn't SWA pilots just vote in a contract that allows management to farm the flying out to Volaris/Westjet for the cities on the top half of your list?

I've heard for 6 months that Q1 2010 SWA will buy AirTran. However, I just can't imagine the train wreck that will insue.

I'd like to start the bidding with pure staple :)

Gup

Some dork on here was saying that SWA was buying United too....But just in case they do buy AirTran...will all the SWA pilots have to buy a 717 type and 717 Airtran pilots have to buy a 737 type to get a job???

Atl
Calgary
Toronto
Vancouver
Edmonton
cancun
cabo
Mexico city
Bahamas
san Juan, pr
----------
msp- far from saturated
mlk
den
cle
ict
chs
sav
mso
------

That is very easy to convince a walmart customer/ticket purchaser.

Careful what you wish for. What good is being stapled to the bottom of a list if you are furloughed? Southwest is already overstaffed with nowhere else to grow, take a look at the markets that they have entered recently, markets that they said they would never touch (LGA, PHL). F9 saw the writing on the wall and chose to merge with a commuter instead of being SWAPA furlough fodder. Think about it, and stop drinking before noon.
Just a thought- It may provide a decision point for many of the AAI FO's. Should they hang on by their fingernails for the hope of a better wage eventually at AAI; or take the plunge into better wages or no wages? Also, AAI may not be able to weather the storm and the falling stock price when the next spike in fuel prices arrive. This could be a possibility with an improving world economy or increased usage by other countries.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back