• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle's latest safety idea..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the company makes more money when flying the -900...the pilots should make more money.

Anything else would be foolish

So you are telling me I can fly a nose low approach in the 900 sim, chop the power, and round out in the flair and pass my checkride? Do me a favor try that and let me know how it works out for you!

Yeah..I really don't care about this subject, and I hate to be the grammar police but....

If an Air Carrier pilot doesn't even know how to spell the word "flare" I bet we want to give them the least on their plate as possible. One aircraft type seems like enough.

It's no problem, you'll remember the differences (they're not too hard and conveniently placarded on the glareshield). We fly both in the same week, occasionally in the same day. Sure they land different, but if you forget which one you're in while landing, you probably weren't doing the approach right either (1 nose down vs 4-5 nose up).

Now if it's the pay you're talking about, I'm with you on that. Keep everybody on all planes, but different pay rates based on the plane your trip is supposed to have. Scheduled or bigger for the pay. Personally, I like the variety. There are way more lines and trips to choose from with both planes available.

Last edited:
As a former SkyWest pilot, I would keep the CRJ200 and CRJ900 separate. With all of the ADs on the CRJ200, they are 2 very different airplanes. Then you have FADEC, leading edge devices, auto generators, auto bleed valves, Flaps 1, different limitations, etc. You'll really enjoy getting called in for a PC check in the 200 sim one time and the 900 another time. If you want to create ALOT more work for yourself, then, go ahead. This will eventually come back to bite you when pay negotiations come around. The company will sucker you into a rediculous blended rate or BHO (block hour override) that puts less $ in your pocket. I would possibly consider a senario like what ASA has, pairing up the 700 and 900 but keeping the 200 separate IF the pay was right.

Sure they land different, but if you forget which one you're in while landing, you probably weren't doing the approach right either (1 nose down vs 4-5 nose up).

BTW, fully configured (Gear down, flaps 45) the pitch on glideslope (ILS) for the 200 is 2.5 degrees nose down and the 700/900 is 0 pitch. Maybe it's time for you to get a line check. Watch out for the guys who spout off about how easy everything is and tell you how they have everything figured out. If you are not on your guard, they will either try to kill you and your passengers or get you violated. Be careful out there.

The company is pushing hard to have all pilots fly both models (per a TA). Is that safety or savings?

A jump from the -200 to the -700 maybe. From the -200 to the -900 is not that great of an idea in my opinion...

What a great time for the company to propose such an idea. Great job.

I have done all three (at two airlines) without any real difficulty.

The 700/900 are very similar, there is no reason not to switch hit between them.

All things being equal, I would prefer separate 200 and 700/900 pilot groups, just to make it easier to keep up with systems and procedures

However...if I stood to gain QOL/scheduling flexibility I would switch-hit in a heart beat. It's not a safety issue, it's just a nuisance issue to the pilot who has to stay current on two airframes.

If recurrent training events are hard-ass at PCL, you might want to include wording in the TA that the pilot will have his choice of which aircraft to be tested on.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have small man syndrome? Is this true? You seem so tuff coming on FI and calling another pilot group weak. Dont you think thats pretty weak itself? Now if you said that to my face I would have alot more respect for you. But for now your just another Tool on FI whose b@lls haven't dropped.
You talk big, but I bet you still block out on time.

Last I check, the company can not force you a 200 crew to operate a 900, right? So remember when you're a kid, and your big brother wants you to do him a favor, what did you say? "What's in it for me??" Same logic here... For mgmt, it's all about cost savings, less reserve requirement (the ATL base has an almost distinct operation center than the rest of the 3 bases), safety is on the very last item.

If they want you to do a PC on a 900 when you haven't flown it for 359 days? They better give you couple sims to warm up, parity pay for every pilots on the seniority list (Last i checked, FO on the 900 makes almost $10 more than their 200 colleagues).

Make sure your LEC reps know what you think.

Latest resources

Back