• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle vs. Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just how horrible is the life of a 9E reserve captain? Would a "semi-street-captain" hired today spend three years of 10 days off a month, or will the PBS system benefit reserve guys at all?

Thanks.

It doesn't matter which you choose because both make sure you will not want to stay any longer than necessary to build time and move on.

The top of the pay scale is the carrot, and the work rules quality of life is the stick.

Wow...I've been gone over a year, but the gool ol' grudge match between 9E and XJ is still alive! I thought with the creation of Compass that you guys would join in a unified hatred of the new stepchild.

I don't miss the job, but I certainly miss the people I worked with at XJ. I wish all of you the best.

Clearly, you've never been married. A "snap back" is what happens when your wife mouths off at you after you did something she perceives as wrong. The worst is when a 'snap back' happens even if you haven't done anything wrong! This case is known as "that time of the month" you should try to bid away from home...

Now that,s funny!, actually I thought is was what happens when you get a bunch of high school boys in the gym shower room with wet rat tailed towels..ouch

Currently Mesaba has better work rules but who knows once 9E's contract is done? Another factor since you want DTW is that is Pinnacle's junior base which will help your QOL while I believe DTW is senior for Mesaba.

I remember this exact thread about 2-3 years ago. All the the Mesaba pilots were saying go to Mesaba, and all the Pinnacle pilots were saying go to Mesaba. Some eventually pointed out the obvious!

Anyway...I spent 8 years at Mesaba, and enjoyed my time there. Sure, there were tuff times, but I always enjoyed going to work there. The people you work with on a day-to-day basis are first class. Also, now that JR is back things can will only get better!

You don't hear any Pinnacle pilots singing praises about their airline.

Last edited:
"You don't hear any Pinnacle pilots singing praises about their airline."

That may be because we don't know how to polish a turd.....however we have great people too and I for one enjoy the flying. However there is no getting around the low pay and lousy work rules. Both companies have to live under the thumb of penny-pinchers that take orders from NWA. Meanwhile Pinnacle stock is up 200% in the past year and management doesn't appear to have QOL issues. You never know until you leave or retire if you picked the right company. Pinnacle is a gamble now in my opinion until the contract is finished. We may be on strike later this year or we may end up with a decent (for a regional) agreement. The good thing is there is no reason you have to stay if things don't work out. They're both stepping stones for most people though I know many that would like to be there for good if some reasonable improvements were made.

A snapback is something that is supposed to happen when "growth" actually occurs which is not happening at Mesaba. "Replacement" is what is happening.

"Growth" is a long ways off.

22 of 26 New Hires on the latest vacancy are going to DTW. MSP will start moving again once the 200 training kick back into gear. MEM is a stagnant right now until the 900 makes its way down there. Most junior cpt is DTW, MSP is pretty close.

And about the QOL if you come in with 3500 and upgrade fast?

Sorry, but I don't know where else to ask. 10 days off for 3 years makes all that jet PIC seem way less sweet.

Latest resources

Back