Pinnacle vs. Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JMO

I'm a low-time military reserve guy looking to get on with either Pinnacle or Mesaba out of DTW (live close by). I know PCL has the 3500 upgrade requirement, which means even with my part-time military flying, it will take me around 3 years to get there (currently at about 550). What are Mesaba's upgrade mins? I'm trying to look at the pros and cons of both. This is what I've figured out so far from reading the posts on FI:

Pinnacle
Contract still not figured out
Pay sucks

Mesaba
Getting 200's and 900's
Contract (is it decent?)
Pay sucks, but not as bad as PCL

Thanks ahead of time for the input!

Last edited:
I believe the saying goes something about a rock and a hard place.

Upgrade at PCL is 2500 with 1000 at the company. So depending what you come in with, it could make a large difference.

Private message me if you need anymore info.

Mesaba is atp minnimums and a 1000 company time and the company can reduce the 1000 to fill upgrades if there arent enough to fill classes. Upgrades are coming down in a hurry and is looking like less than 2 years from date of hire.

Go Mesaba.

Great people & Great Work-Rules. Pay is above industry average and upgrade will be quick. Mesaba also has a flow-thru with NWA and 9E doesn't. If you live near DTW you can't go wrong with Mesaba. Avoid Pinnacle!

Go Mesaba.

Pay is above industry average.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but this is not an accurate statement for any kind of turbojet flying.

Five year captain scales

Industry average 50 seat = 65.05
Mesaba 50 seat = 60.44

Industry average 70-76 seat = 69.75
Mesaba 70-76 seat = 66.33

Add the fact that the current bottom of the industry (MESA, TSA, PCL, & ASA) are all either well past or near their amendable dates and the picture gets rather dire indeed for Mesaba who is not amendable until four years from now.

A flow through is not something off of which your decision should be based. They are minimally benficial at best to the regional carrier. There are very few who benefit from the flow through... most get screwed.

Mesaba is as much a hunk of junk as any other carrier... I would seriously doubt if upgrade comes anywhere close to 2 years there.

The new minimums for upgrade at 9E have been accurately posted here earlier. As soon as you get the time, you'll get the upgrade typically.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but this is not an accurate statement for any kind of turbojet flying.

Five year captain scales

Industry average 50 seat = 65.05
Mesaba 50 seat = 60.44

Industry average 70-76 seat = 69.75
Mesaba 70-76 seat = 66.33

Add the fact that the current bottom of the industry (MESA, TSA, PCL, & ASA) are all either well past or near their amendable dates and the picture gets rather dire indeed for Mesaba who is not amendable until four years from now.

The rapid growth at Mesaba will cause full snapbacks to occur in the near future. Factor in the Saab pilots and Mesaba pilots have abover average pay rates. Also, you have to factor in how work rules affect pay. Mesaba has a 4 hour minday, full cancelation pay, block/better, premium pay and other language that enhances a pilots monthly credit. My buddies at SWA and Continental keep telling me how much they miss the Mesaba work rules and I have heard that often from them. If NWA hires in 2008, 60 Mesaba pilots stand to flow up.

Latest resources

Back