• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying out of DTW yesterday dispatch said we needed 1800 in the cargo to get the jumpseater on. Mesaba said there was no ballast available so we had to leave the jumpseater behind. After we left the gate the dispatcher told us to return to the gate to get ballast just for our current load. Magically, Mesaba now had ballast to add to the cargo. Seems to always be a problem in DTW.

Well, did the jumpseater get on?

Screw that....
I want to know why he left the gate in the first place if he didn't have a legal W&B. Once the aircraft is moved from the gate, the aircraft is legally dispatched. By his statement, he intentionally left the gate with an illegal aircraft. Not too smart McFly.

Screw that....
I want to know why he left the gate in the first place if he didn't have a legal W&B. Once the aircraft is moved from the gate, the aircraft is legally dispatched. By his statement, he intentionally left the gate with an illegal aircraft. Not too smart McFly.
Pinnacle receives all W&B data via acars. It is very rare to have it before they leave the gate.

Screw that....

W&B is done by dispatch. All we have in the aircraft is what the total weight is, not the balance part of the equation.

Screw that....
I want to know why he left the gate in the first place if he didn't have a legal W&B. Once the aircraft is moved from the gate, the aircraft is legally dispatched.

Your assumption of what constitutes a legal dispatch is inaccurate. You can leave the gate without final W&B data provided you do not exceed a limitation or takeoff prior to getting final data. The vast majority of air carrier operations work this way.

I have never left a jumpseater and never will leave a jumpseater. I have got into alot of pissing matches with the gate agents and dispache over getting a jumpseater on so my piss must be stronger. Actually to come think of it I bumped a pax to get a jumpseater on the other day. Pinnacle captains will go out of there way to get a jumpseater on. You come find me and you will never be left behind.

If I would have happened to be the pax that got booted only to watch a jumpseater get on I would have made it my personal goal to see your sorry a@@ fired. Dont forget who pays your salary. I am all for taking a jumpseater but to kick a pax off for a non rev is insane.

The vast majority of air carrier operations work this way.

I remember seeing USAirways aircraft all lined up and ground having to do some fancy maneuvering in PHL due to so many of the airplanes waiting on W&B numbers when it was their turn for the runway. Seems to me a very operationally inefficient way to run things.

I remember seeing USAirways aircraft all lined up and ground having to do some fancy maneuvering in PHL due to so many of the airplanes waiting on W&B numbers when it was their turn for the runway. Seems to me a very operationally inefficient way to run things.

Since when have the airlines EVER worried about running an efficient operation?? (with the exception of SWA)

Screw that....

The number that dispatch gives us before we leave the gate is an estimate of how much cargo and how many pax we have. I'm guessing the flight had to go back to get balast is because there was probably a pax that got on at the last minute or there was enough in the cargo as predicted.. It's rare that we get the final W&B numbers from ACARS before we block out.

"No Ballas for you"

The Bottom line "No Ballas for you"

A few years ago in my previous life I got called into the CP office cause I took a jump seater out of MSP who had been bumped of 2 previous flights. To make a long story short we taxied all the way to 30L in peak hour which took about 45 minutes... still no numbers then the famous "selcall selcall" ...had to come back to the gate for 200lbs of Ballas.

It then turned into a 30 minute pissing contest between me and OPS about giving me ballas...I pulled all our over night bags from the over heads plus asked some pax for carry ons to be put in the cargo in addition to Magazine stacks.... but Ops would not give me ANY.. neither Ballas nor Mags. It became a pissing match that I lost. I tried everything I can.

Later on in the CP office it was explained to me that they actually do have ballas but they reserve it for revenue pax and not for J/S.

I did not argue... just shook my head and walked out.

The end....

Last edited:
The Bottom line "No Ballas for you"

A few years ago in my previous life I got called into the CP office cause I took a jump seater out of MSP who had been bumped of 2 previous flights. To make a long story short we taxied all the way to 30L in peak hour which took about 45 minutes... still no numbers then the famous "selcall selcall" ...had to come back to the gate for 200lbs of Ballas.

It then turned into a 30 minute pissing contest between me and OPS about giving me ballas...I pulled all our over night bags from the over heads plus asked some pax for carry ons to be put in the cargo in addition to Magazine stacks.... but Ops would not give me ANY.. neither Ballas nor Mags. It became a pissing match that I lost. I tried everything I can.

Later on in the CP office it was explained to me that they actually do have ballas but they reserve it for revenue pax and not for J/S.

I did not argue... just shook my head and walked out.

The end....

What is Ballas?

Latest resources

Back