• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle Buying Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
one time a hired a monkey to take for me in class. I would just sit there with my mind a complete blank while the monkey scribbled on little pieces of paper. At the end of the week, teacher says "class, I want you to write a paper using your notes". So I wrote a paper saying "hello! My name is Bingo. I like to climb on things. Can I have a banana? eek eek." I got an F. When I told my mom about it, she said "I told you never trust a monkey!". The end.

I almost feel stupid for responding to this....:erm:

Is that your metaphor for ALPA?

According to both Phil Tranery and Mike Colgan, Colgan will be used for turboprops and all new turboprops that could be won, while Pinnacle will remain the growth platform for new jet aircraft and larger jet aircraft which "he is confident we will aquire". IF and this is a huge IF, they stick to their word, this is a very smart business decision and both pilot groups would be ok.
If he is not a man of his word, which as we have seen in the past, than it could get ugly. Basically Colgan could become a negotiating tool against the pinnacle pilots. It doesn't matter though becuase of our attrition, we will all still upgrade within 3 years.

I don't see phil taking away planes from pinnacle after hearing this webcast. I do see him growing colgan, but not at pinnacle's demise. He built this airline from the ground up and he is not going to destroy it.

Look for Colgan to fly the Q400 by the end of the year.

I almost feel stupid for responding to this....:erm:

Is that your metaphor for ALPA?
You're not alone.

I feel stupid for reading the whole thing expecting there to be a point.

Fly4Hire I have a scenario for you to consider,,,

and it's ugly:

The section you quoted is absolutely correct, but look VERY closely at the EXACT wording of the language. It doesn't say Pinnacle Airlines Inc, or Pinnacle Airlines Corp, just "Pinnacle Airlines" which, in legalese, could be construed to mean THE HOLDING COMPANY.

So what's to keep Pinnacle Airlines CORP (the holding company) from shuffling some of them over to Colgan? They'd still be operated by Pinnacle Airlines (the holding company), still be painted the same colors, still fly on Northwest routes, just with different pilots.

I bet you a C-note that Northwest wouldn't care, as long as they weren't operating for any other carrier's codeshare and, in this scenario, they wouldn't.

The ONLY thing that stops it is the Scope language in the Pinnacle contract and, again you have a legalese issue: what EXACTLY does "Operated by Pinnacle Airlines" mean? Is it the airline, or the holding company that is referenced in the contract?

Could an effective argument be made by the company that the contract was written between ALPA and Pinnacle Airlines, INC (the operating company) and, since the aircraft NEVER WERE leased to anyone EXCEPT the HOLDING company and now they're operated under a completely separate Certificate, operating offices, dispatch, mx, etc, it's not the same airline that ALPA signed with?

That's what I'm talking about when I say that I think this is what PT is going to try... and he might very well be successful. If so, times are about to get VERY tough at PCL and the Colgan pilots who are hired to fly these aircraft when they're transferred over will become the target of a VERY pissed off group of PCL pilots.

Welcome to the whipsaw.

Last edited:
LOL! Just a joke for those who may remember Space Ghost Coast to Coast. My avatar is Brak from cartoon planet. He usually just had stupid things to say during times of conflict.

Last edited:
Does this start the wave of consolidation? Will this cause Delta to accept USAir's bid? I guess only the future will tell.

Does this start the wave of consolidation? Will this cause Delta to accept USAir's bid? I guess only the future will tell.

Oh yes, the ripple effect can be felt throughout the industry. Can you feel it? Oh wait, that was just the crumbs from my sandwich falling on the floor.

Our current proposal is $50 million more than the company's current proposal (which is basically current book with less scope).

Talked to Tom P yesterday, before all this. I get the feeling that the union proposal will be costing MORE than 50 mil now......

Latest resources

Back