• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Eagle guys and their "nice strobe" comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, I stand corrected: Most REGIONALS require strobes on for runway ops. The only majors who do this are Jetblue and United. DL, CO, AA, US, AWA etc all turn on their strobes with T/O clearance, as it should be. The wing inspection/runway turnoff/taxi lights are more than enough for someone to see you on final at night.

On the MD80s I fly, you can't even turn on the strobes, they come on automatically with weight-on-wheels at rotation and come off on touchdown, as it should be.

Now stop blinding us, beotches! ;)

At least someone out there has some common sense.

The great thing about cheese is...you can just cut the moldy parts out ...and it is still good.

I love beer. Especially with cheese or BBQ. Say everyone, what's your favorite microbrew?

I loved the guy that I flew with that b#$ched and moaned about an aircraft ahead of us that turned on their strobes as they received takeoff clearance. He went on and on about how it was a major safety issue, ruining the night vision of everyone else. I ignored him for a while, but after about a minute and a half of listening to him, I asked him to shut it so I could hear the radio traffic. So, who was the real safety risk there?

This argument is once again proof of why I couldn't stand flying with 50% of the people sitting next to me. Everyone is so freaking right about everything, they can't even smell the crap their sitting in.

I guess you guys don't understand a little thing called common courtesy!!! If you pay attention to the radios and make the effort to check for A/C on final when you're cleared into position there is no need to turn your strobes on right away while you're still on the taxiway so you ruin the nightvision of the guy behind you!!

I guess you guys don't understand a little thing called common courtesy!!! If you pay attention to the radios and make the effort to check for A/C on final when you're cleared into position there is no need to turn your strobes on right away while you're still on the taxiway so you ruin the nightvision of the guy behind you!!

It is our company policy to do so.

I guess you guys don't understand a little thing called common courtesy!!! If you pay attention to the radios...

That's great in Montreal when I don't speak French. Or when the aircraft on final is on a different tower frequency, and lined up for the wrong runway.

If ATC and pilots were completely immune from errors, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But they aren't. And because they do make errors, I'd prefer to look like more than just a centerline light from behind, so I don't end up as Aircraft #2 on an NTSB report, with a footnote pointing out that I deviated from my SOPs.

...and make the effort to check for A/C on final when you're cleared into position...
Again, not terribly useful when it's low overcast. Or when the tower forgets about you and sidesteps an aircraft from the parallel.

Feel free to put yourself on a runway with nothing but a dim white light and maybe a beacon on. I'll pass.

We just don't get real microbrews out East. You West coast guys are lucky.

That's great in Montreal when I don't speak French. Or when the aircraft on final is on a different tower frequency, and lined up for the wrong runway.

If ATC and pilots were completely immune from errors, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But they aren't. And because they do make errors, I'd prefer to look like more than just a centerline light from behind, so I don't end up as Aircraft #2 on an NTSB report, with a footnote pointing out that I deviated from my SOPs.

Again, not terribly useful when it's low overcast. Or when the tower forgets about you and sidesteps an aircraft from the parallel.

Feel free to put yourself on a runway with nothing but a white light and maybe a beacon on; I'll pass.

You seem to be missing the point...I was good friends of the Skyw metro crew that are no longer with us thanks to controller error(by the way, it wouldn't have made any difference if their strobes were on or off)! However all the rude and thoughtless people who feel the need to turn on your strobes as soon as ATC says position and hold(ie while you're still on the taxiway with other crews directly behind you) could use a little common sense. Turning your strobes on while on the taxiway or even while still taxiing into position on the runway where you still have a view of final will not make you any safer; but it will decrease the night vision of all other crews close by! Once you're actually in position on the actual runway turning on strobes would be less damaging to everyones night vision, and still allow you to be safe!!
I don't think the problem is with having strobes on on the actual runway, just the incondsiderate guys who have a chubby to get the strobes on while still on the taxiway(you know the ones...still half a mile from the end of the runway on the crowded taxiways but ATC said position and hold so the strobes go on that instant)?!

Last edited:
That's not what they taught us at Riddle! Master on, strobes on. Navigating a complex aircraft around the airport is a dicey proposition on the best of days, you want everything operating in your favor! Safety first, dude!

Unless things severly changed down there.... (besides the fleet) the procedure was master on BEACON on.... there is a little bit of a difference...

Latest resources

Back