• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Eagle guys and their "nice strobe" comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We always kick the strobes on for taxi.. Makes us feel like we're at a disco..

I totally agree. No reason for them to be on until you're pointing down the runway. But others, such as PCL_128, have insisted that the strobes have no business flashing until you're in the air, and with that I strongly disagree.

I disagree. The FO on that USAir flight reported that he first saw the SKW plane when the nose was being lowered and they saw the rear position light and the landing lights shone through the propellers. It was a clear night -- bright strobes may have helped the USAir crew see the smaller plane sitting in position at the intersection in time to go around.

From a report on the crash:

The NTSB also cited lighting placement on the Metro, showing that its light blended with and were not conspicuous against the runway environment background during low light periods. Although both flight crews were operating within their ATC clearances, they were both still responsible for "see and avoid" operations since conditions were VFR.

The lighting situation was significant enough to go into the NTSB report. Better lighting on the Metro would have made the "See" part a lot easier for the USAir crew.

Our metros had pretty dim strobes, and I think that's why the USair crew saw the rear position lights and not the strobes(if you ever saw one of the metros from behind the position lights stood out more than the strobes when looking at the rear of the A/C).

At most airlines these days, strobes are turned on with T/O clearnace - not position and hold. The only lights that should come on with position and hold are wing inspection/taxi/runway turnoff lights.

If you're crossing an active runway at night with someone in position and hold, then MAYBE turn your strobes on. But if nobody's on that runway, or on final to that runway, what's the point.

Just my .02. 73

What school tells you to turn on your ice lights? Those things night blind all the guys waiting in line more than a strobe! Who do you think can see your ice lights anyway? You certainly cant see them from behind.

It's not a school, it's FAA AC 120-74A, Paragraph 8. The verbage has made its way into flight ops manuals in various airlines.

(4) Entering the departure runway for takeoff or “position and hold.” When entering a runway either for takeoff, or when taxiing into “position and hold,” flightcrews should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on lights (except for landing lights) that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette.
Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.

Latest resources

Back