• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Eagle guys and their "nice strobe" comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You seem to be missing the point...I don't think the problem is with having strobes on on the actual runway, just the incondsiderate guys who have a chubby to get the strobes on while still on the taxiway(you know the ones...

I totally agree. No reason for them to be on until you're pointing down the runway. But others, such as PCL_128, have insisted that the strobes have no business flashing until you're in the air, and with that I strongly disagree.

I was good friends of the Skyw metro crew that are no longer with us thanks to controller error(by the way, it wouldn't have made any difference if their strobes were on or off)!

I disagree. The FO on that USAir flight reported that he first saw the SKW plane when the nose was being lowered and they saw the rear position light and the landing lights shone through the propellers. It was a clear night -- bright strobes may have helped the USAir crew see the smaller plane sitting in position at the intersection in time to go around.

From a report on the crash:

The NTSB also cited lighting placement on the Metro, showing that its light blended with and were not conspicuous against the runway environment background during low light periods. Although both flight crews were operating within their ATC clearances, they were both still responsible for "see and avoid" operations since conditions were VFR.

The lighting situation was significant enough to go into the NTSB report. Better lighting on the Metro would have made the "See" part a lot easier for the USAir crew.

If it was a Pinnacle airplane, then if could have been me that b!tched at you, and I stand by it. Don't blind people with your dang strobe lights. There's a reason that Airbuses have automatic strobes that only come on with weight off wheels.

I can see you now, like one of those deer staring at head lights. Your stupid arse just staring at strobe lights.

BTW They come on with WoW because it also turns on the FDR.

I can see you now, like one of those deer staring at head lights. Your stupid arse just staring at strobe lights.

BTW They come on with WoW because it also turns on the FDR.

You mean like this??
<<<<<<<<<<<<

OK, I stand corrected: Most REGIONALS require strobes on for runway ops. The only majors who do this are Jetblue and United. DL, CO, AA, US, AWA etc all turn on their strobes with T/O clearance, as it should be. The wing inspection/runway turnoff/taxi lights are more than enough for someone to see you on final at night.

On the MD80s I fly, you can't even turn on the strobes, they come on automatically with weight-on-wheels at rotation and come off on touchdown, as it should be.

Now stop blinding us, beotches! ;)

Not quite so true, Alaska requires strobes on anytime you're cleared on or across an active runway and our MD-80's have switches that control the strobe lights so that we can turn them on taxiing onto the runway.

My opinion here, but I wouldn't worry much about what a Pinnacle crew says to you.

Latest resources

Back