• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Eagle guys and their "nice strobe" comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At most airlines these days, strobes are turned on with T/O clearnace - not position and hold. The only lights that should come on with position and hold are wing inspection/taxi/runway turnoff lights.

None of which will make you particularly visible to an aircraft about to land on top of you. Both my previous operator and my current one specify strobes be turned on as you're cleared into position, and the landing lights are to come on once takeoff clearance is received.

But if nobody's on that runway, or on final to that runway, what's the point.
(edit: wmyflyguy beat me to it!)

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X16433&key=2

SKW5569, N683AV, had been cleared to rwy 24L, at intersection 45, to position and hold. The local controller, because of her preoccupation with another airplane, forgot she had placed SKW5569 on the runway and subsequently cleared USA1493, N388US, for landing. After the collision, the two airplanes slid off the runway into an unoccupied fire station.
All 12 in the Skywest airplane were killed as it was crushed by the 737, as were 21 people on the USAir jet.

That's "the point."

Last edited:
only incl. the two airlines that said them just to get everyone's attention b/c I feel it's important..nothing to do with particular pilot groups, as there's jacka$$ pilots at every airline that would do this.

One time it happened when crossing a runway to take another, the other when I got them on 50 ft early cuz it was 6am in Moline, IL and I didn't think anyone'd be behind me.... at 6am in Moline, Illinois.

Look, when a plane's taking the active, or CROSSING AN ACTIVE RWY, even if the guy gets them on early and strobes are bright as hell, bite your frickin' lip. It's not the time to razz a guy when he's getting ready to roll down a rwy. Even trying to blow it off, it's distracting....As professional as Mesa sharing hotel rooms on short high speeds. Grow the hell up.

Hope everyone else agrees...

Tool.

AC120-74A

This is the new guidance that most, if not all POI are mandating from their carriers. Essentially, when crossing a runway everything is on. Position and hold, everything except landing lights. Of course you are expected to remain a pilot and consider the aircraft in your proximity for operating strobes, landing lights, etc.

YGBFKM. Have we really got nothing better to bitch about?

Who likes BBQ? Where's your fav?

I like cheese

Sharp chedder...the sharper the better...and a nice brie.

Latest resources

Back