• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle and Eagle guys and their "nice strobe" comments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whatever you say, boss. Just don't get your panties in a wad when I b!tch at you for blinding me right before f#(king takeoff.

There is a simple way to avoid being blinded by someone elses strobes. DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY AT THEM!!! Didn't your mother ever tell you to not stare at the sun when you were a kid? The same principle applies here.

There is both sound reasoning and proceedural requirements that compell pilots to turn the strobes on as they get into position for T/O. If someone chooses to follow these requirements do what you need to do to keep it from comprimising the safety of your flight (and no this does not include b*tching over the radio).

I'm not the one with my panties in a wad. I'm following safe operating practice and my company's FOM by doing what I do. If you want to "bitch at me" on the radio, that's your prerogative, but it'll make you sound like an unprofessional whiner to everyone on the frequency.

He doesn't need your help to accomplish that here.

OK, I stand corrected: Most REGIONALS require strobes on for runway ops. The only majors who do this are Jetblue and United. DL, CO, AA, US, AWA etc all turn on their strobes with T/O clearance, as it should be. The wing inspection/runway turnoff/taxi lights are more than enough for someone to see you on final at night.

On the MD80s I fly, you can't even turn on the strobes, they come on automatically with weight-on-wheels at rotation and come off on touchdown, as it should be.

Now stop blinding us, beotches! ;)

This is the new guidance that most, if not all POI are mandating from their carriers.

Not at my airline. Only required when in position and hold, not when crossing. I am continually amazed at the number of pilots who cross active runways at 3 in the morning and don't touch a switch.

I started just reaching up and hitting the wing inspection lights myself from the right seat, until I was screamed at (literally) by a fine aviator who is now on my no-fly list.....

I loved the guy that I flew with that b#$ched and moaned about an aircraft ahead of us that turned on their strobes as they received takeoff clearance. He went on and on about how it was a major safety issue, ruining the night vision of everyone else. I ignored him for a while, but after about a minute and a half of listening to him, I asked him to shut it so I could hear the radio traffic. So, who was the real safety risk there?

This argument is once again proof of why I couldn't stand flying with 50% of the people sitting next to me. Everyone is so freaking right about everything, they can't even smell the crap their sitting in.

The only majors who do this are Jetblue and United. DL, CO, AA, US, AWA etc all turn on their strobes with T/O clearance, as it should be. The wing inspection/runway turnoff/taxi lights are more than enough for someone to see you on final at night.

;)
wrong again...

1st. Since I fly out of ATL, I can say without a doubt that the VAST, VAST majority of Delta flights taking the active runway in ATL turn on their strobes. NOT only when cleared for T/O. I don't believe this is just an ATL thing so I'd say somewhere in their SOP's it instructs them to turn on their lights.

2nd. All those "other" lights you turn on when you are on the runway don't do a thing to make you visible to someone on final....they're pointed in the other direction.....The only thing they do is make me nervous about crossing down field wondering if you're complying with the "HOLD" part of you position and hold clearance.

You AA guys manage to make the Delta guys seem reasonable sometimes....congratulations.

I loved the guy that I flew with that b#$ched and moaned about an aircraft ahead of us that turned on their strobes as they received takeoff clearance. He went on and on about how it was a major safety issue, ruining the night vision of everyone else. I ignored him for a while, but after about a minute and a half of listening to him, I asked him to shut it so I could hear the radio traffic. So, who was the real safety risk there?

This argument is once again proof of why I couldn't stand flying with 50% of the people sitting next to me. Everyone is so freaking right about everything, they can't even smell the crap their sitting in.

I had an FO tell me we had to wait 30 min for Takeoff because the plane in POZ and Hold for T/O had his strobes on. He quoted the AIM's 30 min of no bright light section. I had to do the same thing of tell'n him to shut up and listen to the tower.

Latest resources

Back