• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pink Slips - Do CFI and Mechanic Failures Count

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just got an email from another DPE friend with this link from the FAA legal regarding this issue.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...00/interpretations/data/interps/2008/levy.pdf

I humbly admit I was wrong.

Thanks for finding that letter. As DPE's we were told to not specifically endorse for a flight review from a CFI ride because that would require the DPE to provide at least 1 hour of ground instruction and 1 hour of flight instruction and that would be in conflict with the idea of no instruction to be given on a practical test. That's why we were told to write, "All pilot operations checked."

I don't see what the problem is with the FAA observing the rides of newhires who have unsat 4+ rides (I don't care what they're for). If anything, it seems responsible. Likely another response to the actions of the pilot who flipped it over in Buffalo pulling back on a stall warning and had...5 busts?

It wouldn't matter anyway, I can't think of any airlines nowadays who would hire someone with 4 busts.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just venting about how unfair this has all become. Good people are having their careers ruined for invalid reasons. A pilot applicant can be rejected for "pink slips" even though he never failed a "pilot checkride."

Unfortunately, some very good people are having their careers ruined by circumstance, i.e., a poorly qualified instructor keeps recommending an applicant who fails his CFI oral repeatedly. That's all it takes now days.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you have multiple pink slips of any nature, you should not be carrying passengers around and you should choose a different career.

Good people are not having their careers ruined, substandard people are showing up for check rides unprepared and getting pinked. They shouldn't have a career if they aren't willing to show up prepared.

Everybody has a bad day, some guys have 2, some "maybe" three. But when you have 4 pink slips, you display a pattern of:

a) Not knowing what is required of you to pass an examination
b) Not caring what is required of you and expecting a handout
c) Not being capable of performing to a standard that is clearly published

It isn't unfair, it is the way it should be, and it should be stricter.

Nobody is getting their career ruined by "unfair" rules, they are ruining it themselves by showing up for check rides without the preparation, aptitude or ability that is required.

And blaming the instructor is one cheap a$$ cop out. He passed his ride, why can't you?

It's all becoming way too horrible in this career. Good people are toasted for what is sometimes really nothing.

No, bad people are getting weeded out for not showing up prepared for examinations for the above stated reasons.

This guy who crashed the Colgan flight in Buffalo, he wasn't some anathema, he was a poorly trained pilot with little aptitude and no self discipline. If you cant keep your trap shut for 10 minutes to observe sterile cockpit, can't take the effort to watch your airspeed while you are approaching the outer marker and can't drop the nose and put in full power when you get to a pusher situation, you should have never been there.

Your posts are defending people like this.

Last edited:
If all this is about is having the FAA observe a checkride, who cares? I've had them show up to observe a checkride, both randomly and because they were checking the examiner in the sim. All very professional, honestly forgot they were even there once the checkride started, had other things to concentrate on.

Fact is in this profession you have to get used to the fact that others will observe you. It's really not that big a deal.

The Feds sit in on checkrides all the time with our airline. I've had them sit in and I have never busted a ride. If you can fly the ride to standards, you don/t have to worry who is sitting in the back. Usually they aren't observing you. they are observing the Check Airman doing the check.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you have multiple pink slips of any nature, you should not be carrying passengers around and you should choose a different career.

Good people are not having their careers ruined, substandard people are showing up for check rides unprepared and getting pinked. They shouldn't have a career if they aren't willing to show up prepared.

Everybody has a bad day, some guys have 2, some "maybe" three. But when you have 4 pink slips, you display a pattern of:

Nobody is getting their career ruined by "unfair" rules, they are ruining it themselves by showing up for check rides without the preparation, aptitude or ability that is required.

And blaming the instructor is one cheap a$$ cop out. He passed his ride, why can't you?

No, bad people are getting weeded out for not showing up prepared for examinations for the above stated reasons.

This guy who crashed the Colgan flight in Buffalo, he wasn't some anathema, he was a poorly trained pilot with little aptitude and no self discipline. If you cant keep your trap shut for 10 minutes to observe sterile cockpit, can't take the effort to watch your airspeed while you are approaching the outer marker and can't drop the nose and put in full power when you get to a pusher situation, you should have never been there.

I was thinking the same thing. 1 or 2, I can understand, we all have bad days but 4?

Interesting points you make.

I failed my oral for my private pilot license. I used the King videos to prep. My instructor did absolutely no prep with me. Not knowing any better I went for my ride. An issue occurred when I presented a weight and balance that had the empty weight example from the ASA prep book. I thought that the weight and balance was a process that you had to show that you had performed. It was actually a document that was unique to the aircraft. How do you justify the responsibility for this falling on my shoulders as opposed to my instructor?

Furthermore another three followed. In the instrument during the partial panel I busted. About an hour before I told my instructor that I was not prepared and would fail during the partial panel. He told me to just pay close attention during that portion of the ride and said you have to go for the ride or go home. Again I was in a hurry and naive. That was at ALL ATPs.

Despite an 80% failure rate at the Ft. Worth FSDO I received my CFI with a commendable rating from the examiner on the first try.

During the CFII I was told by my instructor to placard the NDB inop. so that I wouldn’t have to use it. I was afraid that this act of dishonesty would get me in serious trouble and I didn’t. Sure enough I busted my ride in an NDB holding pattern twice.

In the over 10 years since I have been through a 121 initial and an ATP/Type at a 121 carrier. Countless line checks/fed rides/proficiency checks and check rides.

1.I have not failed a check ride in a level D simulator. I have 2 type ratings
2.I have never scratched a plane
3. I have never been violated
4. All of the times I have been in the Chief Pilots office I walked in to socialize
5. I have never had a letter of investigation
6. I have never hurt a passenger
7. I have never been disciplined at an airline for a non-flying issue such as a tardy.
8. While at a 121 carrier I was a member or the Artesia Country Club.

I would also like to mention that: Just prior to aviation I was a Field Artillery Officer in the United States Army. If you failed 3 or more test in the initial nine month course you were placed on mandatory study hall. About one third off the class was on mandatory study hall by the end of the course. I did not fail a single test. The only branch with higher attrition is Aviation. While in the Army my leadership thought enough of me to make me a HQ XO and then the first HSB XO.

These pink slips represent a small portion of my life and it almost seems unfair that a felon can go get a rape expunged from his record but I can’t go and protest any of my pink slips. There is no legal mechanism by which to fight. I invested a lot of money and time and they were not an issue until some guy with a stack of them crashed a plane. Plenty of guys with perfect records have crashed. The FedEx plane that went down in Japan the same week comes to mind. This incident and the media really changed the path for me but I can’t change the past. Your future is what you make of it. I am making new friends and having a great time. I am still a pilot.

However I will submit my letter of resignation to my employer tomorrow and find something else to do.

Not

Prior to the BUF incident some airlines didn’t even ask about pink slips. Whether or not airlines will receive those records in the future will likely affect whether or not I can get a job at an airline. All of the times I was asked about the failures I was asked about pink slips. They are all in my records. I have a copy of them.

Today I have a letter that explains all of the failures and has images of them. If this a disqualifier then I want to go ahead and disqualify myself from the start as opposed to lying and risking getting fired later. If you have a stack of pink slips trust me it isn’t worth committing suicide. I nearly ended my career by leaving aviation thinking that this was not overcomeable. I was weeks away from the final flight when I got a call that changed my life. I was flying with a total Dbag and wanted nothing more than to tell him that I was too sick to fly with him. I didn’t but it humored me to know that I could have. BTW I started a thread on a non-aviation resume for a pilot. ROV operators usually have a 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off schedule and they make more than pilots. You are probably well qualified and you almost definitely will not get asked about pink slips in the interview.

I believe there should be a grandfather clause or understanding by the airline that a pink slip event that occurred 10years or 1000 hrs ago shouldn't be an issue. If I was a student today and somehow failed my second check ride I would look for another career field the next day. But 10 years ago if u failed a check ride but passed it on the second try u were fine. Some students I knew were told the pink slip they just received was NOT a big deal and would not affect them long term.
And most good DPE's worth their salt would might be more lenient with a student who was on the pass/fail fence if the examiners knew it would affect their career longterm.

All of this because a captain did not pay attention to airspeed and subsequently couldn't do a simple stall recovery that private pilot students perform on their second lesson. Careers and investments in that career are gone!!!

Last edited:
Another point, what are you supposed to do if questioned about a failure, pull out a legal intrepation of the FAR's and say it wasn't technically a failure? That would be the shortest interview ever!!!

Latest resources

Back