Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
I was recently told by a top dog at AirTran that the FAA is going to be observing the checkrides for any new hire who as 4 or more Notices of Disapproval in their FAA files. This is a new FAA order on account of the Records Act. He said that CFI rides will count from what he thought. This doesn't make sense to me because a CFI ride is not a pilot checkride just the same as a mechanic check ride isn't either. Remember the FAA does not recognize a CFI check as a pilot proficiency check for Flight Review purposes and of course an A&P check doesn't count either, yet both generate pink slips for the airman file.

Comments please.....

I hate to burst your bubble dude, but as a pilot recruiter for a well known airline the CFI IS a pilot checkride. Even if this guy you know told you the FAA might not consider it to be so, the rest of us CFI's will tell you, heck yes it IS a pilot checkride. Not every 'pilot' can pass it. At my airline recruitment office we consider it the same as PVT, INST, COMM, ATP or 121/135 training testing or checking event. I hope you didn't fail it too many times.

The fact is that legally a CFI ride does not even require the applicant to hold a medical; also a CFI can exercise his privileges without holding a medical for such services as Commercial Pilot instruction or aerobatic instruction. And, as previously mentioned, a CFI checkride does not count as a Flight Review either because it is simply not a pilot checkride to the FAA. Nevertheless, I understand that an airline and even an OPS inspector could apply these pink slips as the airline wishes and disqualify the applicant, even it is not technically correct to do so. I guess they will error on the side of rejecting the poor guy even though he may have never failed a single pilot check.

So what about a failed practical check for Airframe or Powerplant Mechanic? These practical tests will generate pink slips too. Should they be disclosed and will the FAA increase surveillance on a new-hire who has mechanic pink slips just the same as CFI pink slips?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Whether an airline chooses to disqualify you on the basis of failed checkrides it is their call and it doesn't hinge on any legalese.

If the FAA has decided to observe checkrides when you have a bunch of pink slips (which is news to me but doesn't surprise me) then who cares what their criteria is. If you can't pass a checkride with a fed sitting there then you have bigger problems.

I guess I'm just venting about how unfair this has all become. Good people are having their careers ruined for invalid reasons. A pilot applicant can be rejected for "pink slips" even though he never failed a "pilot checkride."

Unfortunately, some very good people are having their careers ruined by circumstance, i.e., a poorly qualified instructor keeps recommending an applicant who fails his CFI oral repeatedly. That's all it takes now days.

And, as previously mentioned, a CFI checkride does not count as a Flight Review either because it is simply not a pilot checkride to the FAA.

Not sure what you are talking about but my "currency clock" reset after I passed my CFI/CFII/MEI checkrides. And I'm pretty sure such instructor checkrides are towards a new "certificate or rating" so an airline recruiter would count it against you if you failed one. Maybe more or less depending on your "checkride" history. Plus, I may be mistaken but for your checkride you would need a current 2nd class medical to do your checkride anyway. So how would it not be a "real pilot checkride in the eyes of the FAA? Only know the CFII doesn't count as an IPC unless u ask to include it as one.

Not sure where you get your info from...

The fact is that legally a CFI ride does not even require the applicant to hold a medical; also a CFI can exercise his privileges without holding a medical for such services as Commercial Pilot instruction or aerobatic instruction. And, as previously mentioned, a CFI checkride does not count as a Flight Review either because it is simply not a pilot checkride to the FAA. Nevertheless, I understand that an airline and even an OPS inspector could apply these pink slips as the airline wishes and disqualify the applicant, even it is not technically correct to do so. I guess they will error on the side of rejecting the poor guy even though he may have never failed a single pilot check.

So what about a failed practical check for Airframe or Powerplant Mechanic? These practical tests will generate pink slips too. Should they be disclosed and will the FAA increase surveillance on a new-hire who has mechanic pink slips just the same as CFI pink slips?

A CFI check ride does reset your BFR.

FAR 61.56

A new certificate or rating resets the flight review. The CFI is about as "check ride" as they get in almost anyone's eyes, including the FAA. Why do you think the failure rate is so high?

Renewing your CFI resets the ground portion, but not the flight portion. Maybe that's what you are confusing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back