Pilots Not Professionals ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Voice,

Easy, Bro. No "rage" in anything I said; merely a question. I'm not a rage kinda guy. No offense intended...I apologize for anything that could've been interpreted as misunderstanding on my part.

***whew***

aeronautic1 said:
Give your bruised ego a break.

Said in the original post that it couldn't be taken personally; just thought it'd be an interesting "discussion". Mea culpa...

Me personally...

South Florida paper, very advert for pilot (www.sun-sentinel.com) is listed under the General category, not professional.

As a contract pilot I file my taxes as a Part Time Laborer. I don't want the IRS to know I am a pilot.

Spooky 1 said:
Check the number of posts for this guy/gal. Suspect he is planning to have some fun at our expense. Ignore this person if you can.

You think??? Who knew? Wow.... we couldn't figure that one out there Einstein.

You have really become the bulletin board idiot.... (in case YOU haven't figured THAT out....)

Angus said:
You think??? Who knew? Wow.... we couldn't figure that one out there Einstein.

You have really become the bulletin board idiot.... (in case YOU haven't figured THAT out....)

harsh!

aeronautic1 said:
South Florida paper, very advert for pilot (www.sun-sentinel.com) is listed under the General category, not professional.

As a contract pilot I file my taxes as a Part Time Laborer. I don't want the IRS to know I am a pilot.

Why not? You get some tax breaks under the tax code for being a 'transportation worker'. And if you are a true 1099 contract pilot then more of your expenses may be dedcutable than if you were on a W2

There are knowledge workers, skilled workers and unskilled workers. Unskilled workers can learn on the job with little training. Skilled workers go through a formal training and certification program like auto mechanics, pipe fitters and skilled equipment operators. Knowledge workers have years of mandatory scholastic preparation and do not generally make a living by the use their hands. Skilled workers and knowledge workers are both considered professionals in terms of career recognition and on-going training. The difference between knowledge workers and skilled workers is that knowledge workers generally have to have an advanced degree. Skilled workers do not require a college degree.

bafanguy said:
Voice,

Easy, Bro. No "rage" in anything I said; merely a question. I'm not a rage kinda guy. No offense intended...I apologize for anything that could've been interpreted as misunderstanding on my part.

***whew***
You have to remember that in "pilot land" if you see that the "emperor has no clothes", you'll be seen as "bitter".

Best to keep head in sand and be "one of the guys".

I would rather be considered skilled labor than professional. As long as I get paid like a laborer. Time and a half over 40 hours and 40 a day per diem plus hotel, just like when I worked construction.

Regardless of what we would like to think about ourselves, this career is closer to skilled labor than it is a true profession.

Ask 100 airline pilots how much reading and studying they do to improve their knowledge and expertise (studying for PCs does not count-that is maintenance, not improvement).

Real professionals like doctors and lawyers have years of school before they begin in their careers. Pilots rise up the ranks like apprentices in a guild.

Witness the pretenders over at GIA. Are they professionals? Right.
When a 500 hour loser is right-seat in a CRJ, how can we call him and the 7000+ hour first offocer at a major BOTH professionals.

Skilled labor, my friends. As painful as it is to say, it is the truth. Let's all be mature enough to admit it.

Latest resources

Back