Pilots Not Professionals ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What difference does it really make?

Really, you could think of it either way...you don't have to attend an accredited institution to become a pilot, don't have to maintain membership in "professional organization"...your actions aren't so subject to interpretation that their propriety is ultimately decided by a panel of your peers, as opposed to a government bureaucrat or board.

At the same time, there's a lot of skilled labor that isn't taught at a university, requires years of study, practice, and apprenticeship, and is really nothing more than a skill that requires a high degree of judgement, experience and knowledge and allows it's possessor to earn a good living if properly applied.
I suppose that it might make sense either way, depending on your interpretation of the word "professional"...but when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter.

Hell, there was some sort of magazine included with the Sunday paper today that listed several people along with their occupations and salaries...I was surprised to see that several of the people with a "skilled labor" job made far better money than some of the "professionals." For example, listed was a New Jersey State Trooper who earns $100K annually and a Assistant DA from California who earned $52K a year.

Do you think that trooper cares about what some newspaper or media outlet classifies her job under?

Photopilot brings up a good point.

Let's look into the comparison further.

Pilots can gain all the education LEGALLY needed to go all the way to a major airline from a local FBO. No college required by law, and there ARE many non-college educated pilots at the majors. College helps, but that is another argument.

Doctors and lawyers have years of college education that is required to gain the necessary right to practice law or medicine. Additionally, you must pass industry-administered tests to determine your fitness for the position. Anyone want to try to compare the joke that is the ATP written with medical or legal ENTRANCE exams, let alone the real coursework?

When is the last time a law firm started a new hire class of 30?

Real professionals are often hired into high-level posisions based on their individual qualifications, and negotiate their own compensation, based on their percived value to the company. Airline pilots, at least, start as new hir FO's normally, and are paid the contract rate, and advance not based on their skills or value to the company, but based on the passage of time.

Having hundred of lives in your hands does not make you a proefessional, jsut because you are too insecure to admit that you are skilled labor.

I have part 91, 135 and 121 experience as well as a college degree, for those of you who are about to flame me.

Pilots are like cops - they bridge the gap between white and blue collar workers. We ARE very near the top of the skilled labor food chain, if not at the top.

100LL... Again! said:
Pilots are like cops - they bridge the gap between white and blue collar workers. We ARE very near the top of the skilled labor food chain, if not at the top.

Hey, you can think of it anyway you want. I look at myself as part highly-skilled technician and part manager.

For the technician part, compare it to the tech that operates the radiation treatment machines at the hospital, or a nurse anaesthetist.

For the management part, well, I am running a $30 million "plant" that is moving dynamically through time and space.

DO I operate in a "professional" manner? You bet. Do I care how some yo-yo classifies me? Not unless it affects my pay or QOL, which it doesn't.

Exactly. The radiology technician is a good example.

Like yourself, I don't care how I am classified. I am more just picking on the overly sensitive among us that get their panties in a bundle over whether they are called proessionals or not.

FN FAL said:
You have to remember that in "pilot land" if you see that the "emperor has no clothes", you'll be seen as "bitter".

Best to keep head in sand and be "one of the guys".

... I see...

My father is a Dr. and he even stated that he is high priced labor. Thats all Dr.'s Lawyers a nd pilots and other professionals can be. They are trained for a specific task. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that you are on a lower plateau (sp?) just because you aren't a "professional." As long as you do what you do well is what matters. Do you think that "professionals would have a great life if there were no one to collect your trash? Provide tech support for your computer, phone, or the like? How about build their house?
Well, there we have it. We rely on people who we may not consider important. Love what you do and respect others for what they do. OKay, I'll step off my soapbox.
Blue Skies.

Websters says being a professional means:

Being of a group that set and maintains standards,
self polices these standards and hold accountable any member
that fails to uphold them. Johnny Cocran and others make me think that pilots are professionals and maybe lawyers aren't. Just a thought

Heh-heh.

When I was a 135 Capt. I called FSS to file a flight plan one day. I was carrying a load of lawyers somewhere.

The briefer must have detected that I was used to filing with DUATS, because he was prompting me for each response. . . departure point, speed, route, etc. Then he asks, "Souls on board?" I paused.

"Waaa-aal, we got three lawyers and two pilots, and I'm not good with fractions . . . ".

I think it made his day.

100LL... Again! said:
Skilled labor, my friends. As painful as it is to say, it is the truth. Let's all be mature enough to admit it.

Why degrade ourselves by attaching a "negative" label (or rejecting a "positive" one, however you care to look at it) to what we do? Who cares what you call it?

Josh M.

sqwkvfr said:
What difference does it really make?

...none, actually...

...just thought the original statement was interesting; some of the "responses" have also been...interesting...

Latest resources

Back