Pilots Not Professionals ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bafanguy

Slow day at The Olde Pilots Home...cruising pprune and ran across a statement in the Rumors & News forum, Jetsgo ceases ops thread, page 3, by eight iron special. The discussion had gotten into the PFT/training contract issue and a guy from the States made the following comment:

"...a pilot is not a true 'professional' like a doctor or lawyer but is simply highly skilled labor...".

While I'd never take that personally, I am curious about the premise. I guess I've never considered flying an airplane for a living anything BUT a profession, considering what's involved, and at stake.

I don't think I've been engaging in any ego-fueled self-aggrandizement for the last 35 years, but just never considered "professional" aviation as anything but that.

What say ye ?

dicksmasher said:
Flying an airplane is only semi-skilled labor at best.

Check the number of posts for this guy/gal. Suspect he is planning to have some fun at our expense. Ignore this person if you can.

Last time I checked skilled labors werent in control of over 1000 lives a day... What is the captain of a ship/submarine/ or spaceshuttle- a skilled craftsman? That statement makes me laugh.

I think what they guy is saying is that doctors and lawyers can work for themselves. a pilot for the most part works for a company. if a pilot had his own a/c and company, and did the flying he would be considered a professional, i guess. i dont think this was meant to bash pilots, just a technical definition of professional.

bafanguy said:
While I'd never take that personally, I am curious about the premise. I guess I've never considered flying an airplane for a living anything BUT a profession, considering what's involved, and at stake.

I don't think I've been engaging in any ego-fueled self-aggrandizement for the last 35 years, but just never considered "professional" aviation as anything but that.

What say ye ?

I'm in the same boat, I've never even considered flying as anything other than a profession. As I try to see things from the other point of view (highly skilled labor) it seems that the same case *could* be made for doctors or lawyers. Is there a difference with corporate and airline pilots? Is one labor and the other a profession? I don't know, just exploring the statement that bafanguy posted from pprune.
IMVHO, I think piloting, all piloting, is a very highly skilled *profession.*

Just a Legal Technicality

bafanguy said:
The discussion had gotten into the PFT/training contract issue and a guy from the States made the following comment:
bafanguy said:
"...a pilot is not a true 'professional' like a doctor or lawyer but is simply highly skilled labor...".

I wouldn't take it personally...It's just a "be whatever category suits the context" issue. It probably stems from a postal case involving their pilots and trying to pay them a flat salary. (see link below). I just found it when I did a search on the quote that you found about pilots and being professionals. Basically the jist is that the Department of Labor classifies pilots as "highly skilled professionals", but you do NOT want to be classified as such with respect to the SCA (Service Contract Act) or you will get seriously hosed in terms of pay per amount of time worked vs a flat salary. It's actually a pretty interesting case...check it out when you're bored:
http://www.oalj.dol.gov/printdoc.htm?URL=%2Fpublic%2Fdba%2Fdecsn%2F98_131a.htm

Last edited:
EMBATP said:
I think what they guy is saying is that doctors and lawyers can work for themselves. a pilot for the most part works for a company.

What about Docs and lawyers who work for a "company" ? Corporate lawyers...HMO docs...institutional docs ( company medical directors, etc. ) ? They're not professionals ?

I don't think eight iron special was trying to be offensive; just expressing an idea.

Voice Of Reason said:
Basically the jist is that the Department of Labor classifies pilots as "highly skilled professionals", but you do NOT want to be classified as such with respect to the SCA (Service Contract Act)

Voice,

So, you're willing to have your working lifetime "defined" by a government agency, and you're OK with that ? There is the government view of the world...and then there's reality.

Plus, their classification used the word "professionals". Interesting....

Hello? Read before raging....

bafanguy said:
Voice,

So, you're willing to have your working lifetime "defined" by a government agency, and you're OK with that ? (HUH????)There is the government view of the world...and then there's reality. (EXACTLY THE POINT I MADE! )

Plus, their classification used the word "professionals". Interesting....

WHAT are you talking about? I did not in any way pass this off as my view of the pilot profession...I was telling you where this likely came from, and that in this under the SCA if these guys were classified under the SCA as "professionals," then their company would be able to pay them a lower, flat salary even though they worked numerous hours worthy of more pay.

I repeat, the SCA classification does not change the definition under the Department of Labor. Just legal technicalities....Complex much?

Ah Geez!!!

Give your bruised ego a break. Who gives a fiddley dee what other people think? Just keep 'em outta the trees.

BTW: My pappy, who flew for CO for 34 years... his favorite line was, "son, you don't have to be too smart to be an airline pilot!"

Latest resources

Back