• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Pilots don't mind making $16,000 per year because it's a stepping stone."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe the current crop of regional pilots need to be that group. If they would just let mainline take back all the flying that the regionals took away with RJs, then the next generation would have a nice, cushy job at a major waiting for them. You know, the same job you dreamed of when you started flight school. Now, the current generation of regional pilots would suffer because mainline would take back all it's flying and the regionals would have to furlough, but some group has to take the fall, so the sooner it happens, the better for the profession as a whole.

How do you like the bottom of your Major Seniority List? What you are proposing only exists in the minds of the most junior pilots on your seniority list! Give it up, you want find a pot of gold at the end of your Rainbow! Most on your list don't want to recapture the flying!

How do you like the bottom of your Major Seniority List? What you are proposing only exists in the minds of the most junior pilots on your seniority list! Give it up, you want find a pot of gold at the end of your Rainbow! Most on your list don't want to recapture the flying!

I'm nowhere near the bottom of my seniority list.

Who's that ugly guy in the mirror?

This is why the choice needs to be taken out of our hands. Since the airlines won't do it, then the government needs to step in ....

How politically incorrect of you to agree with Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Most of those who complain about what has happened to the airline industry lay the blame at the feet of self-interested "other people", named and unnamed. The fact is, we are the other people. :0

Maybe the current crop of regional pilots need to be that group. If they would just let mainline take back all the flying that the regionals took away with RJs, then the next generation would have a nice, cushy job at a major waiting for them. You know, the same job you dreamed of when you started flight school. Now, the current generation of regional pilots would suffer because mainline would take back all it's flying and the regionals would have to furlough, but some group has to take the fall, so the sooner it happens, the better for the profession as a whole.

You are right but that group is the mainline pilots. I predict mainline airlines will continue to shrink in their share of the flying while regionals continue to grow. Then when mainline price themselves out of the market altogether they will go bankrupt and be bought/replaced by super-regional airlines (like Republic).

I don't even care to take a position as to it being Right or wrong but rather just the way market forces will push the airline sector as a whole.

One thing is overlooked--everyone that goes through this pipeline--signed up for the job knowing what the pay was! It's supply and demand, and as long as people are willing to take the job at the market rate, the market rate will stay the same. JFYI--No one in any profession thinks they make enough money! Ask a hooker, lawyer, or a doctor!

Sometimes I think some people are responding to these threads without reading the whole thread. I have said it many times before and apparently i will have to continue to repeat my self. HARDLY ANYBODY TOOK A JOB AT A REGIONAL OTHER THAN TO BUILD FLIGHT TIME AND GET 121 PIC AND MOVE ON TO THE MAJORS AFTER NO MORE THAN 5 TO 10 YEARS!!!!! Have I said that loudly and clearly enough. Why am I having to explain this to fellow pilots. BEFORE 9-11 A PILOT COULD ALMOST BE ASSURED OF A JOB AT A MAJOR, NOW THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE! So for anybody getting into this pre-9-11 they never expected to be having to make a career at the despicable regional airlines. Nobody pre-911 thought they would have to suffer at a salary of 30-40 grand a year for 10 years then upgrade and earn a whopping 60-90 grand for the rest of their careers doing 5 legs a day, 12-16 hour days 20 days a month!! Is this not clear to everybody? Now for those getting involved in this profession after about 2004 or 2005 when anyone with half a brain could see that there will be no more opportunity for most at the major airline level, well for those pilots, they deserve the misery that they get!

And I call total BS on supply and demand, and I'm glad someone brought that up so that I can dispel it. Back when this career was worth having(1960's-1970's), in the regulated days, there were far fewer jobs available and far more pilots per capita. Look at the statistics on the number of licensed pilots in the 1970's and compare it to today. Today there are a little over 500,000 compared to a population of 300 million. In the 1975 there were about 700,000 compared to a population of a little over 200 million. So lets see, our total population has grown by 100 million(33%) while at the same time our pilot population has shrunk 200,000(30%). Yet the 1970's were a time pilots were paid about the best they had ever been paid. So much for supply and demand. Anybody spouting that supply and demand crap is just a typical "yes" man, towing the company line because they don't want to think for themselves. They would just rather be told what to do.

You are right but that group is the mainline pilots. I predict mainline airlines will continue to shrink in their share of the flying while regionals continue to grow. Then when mainline price themselves out of the market altogether they will go bankrupt and be bought/replaced by super-regional airlines (like Republic).

I don't even care to take a position as to it being Right or wrong but rather just the way market forces will push the airline sector as a whole.

You and other regional pilots are foaming at the mouth hoping that the majors all go chapter 7 so you guys can fill the void with your fleet of E-jets and still keep your seniority since you won't have to change companies.

Sometimes I think some people are responding to these threads without reading the whole thread. I have said it many times before and apparently i will have to continue to repeat my self. HARDLY ANYBODY TOOK A JOB AT A REGIONAL OTHER THAN TO BUILD FLIGHT TIME AND GET 121 PIC AND MOVE ON TO THE MAJORS AFTER NO MORE THAN 5 TO 10 YEARS!!!!! Have I said that loudly and clearly enough. Why am I having to explain this to fellow pilots. BEFORE 9-11 A PILOT COULD ALMOST BE ASSURED OF A JOB AT A MAJOR, NOW THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE! So for anybody getting into this pre-9-11 they never expected to be having to make a career at the despicable regional airlines. Nobody pre-911 thought they would have to suffer at a salary of 30-40 grand a year for 10 years then upgrade and earn a whopping 60-90 grand for the rest of their careers doing 5 legs a day, 12-16 hour days 20 days a month!! Is this not clear to everybody? Now for those getting involved in this profession after about 2004 or 2005 when anyone with half a brain could see that there will be no more opportunity for most at the major airline level, well for those pilots, they deserve the misery that they get!

And I call total BS on supply and demand, and I'm glad someone brought that up so that I can dispel it. Back when this career was worth having(1960's-1970's), in the regulated days, there were far fewer jobs available and far more pilots per capita. Look at the statistics on the number of licensed pilots in the 1970's and compare it to today. Today there are a little over 500,000 compared to a population of 300 million. In the 1975 there were about 700,000 compared to a population of a little over 200 million. So lets see, our total population has grown by 100 million(33%) while at the same time our pilot population has shrunk 200,000(30%). Yet the 1970's were a time pilots were paid about the best they had ever been paid. So much for supply and demand. Anybody spouting that supply and demand crap is just a typical "yes" man, towing the company line because they don't want to think for themselves. They would just rather be told what to do.

How do you explain all the lifers at Comair, Eagle etc. that were hiring long before 9-11? What happened to their "assured job at a major"?

Agree 100%

This is why the choice needs to be taken out of our hands. Since the airlines won't do it, then the government needs to step in and not allow. . .
How sad that you post this on the very day we are celebrating Independence Day. We don't celebrate independence from the British, we celebrate independence for individuals from over-reaching tyrannical government. Do you believe a government should have whatever power it feels like taking (or we feel like giving it)? Or shouldn't there be very specific limits?

We need to be careful about using the phrase, "the government needs to..." anytime we want something. The United States of America is a Republic. That means the government merely represents the people. The government by definition shouldn't have any more rights than the individuals it represents. So I can delegate to the government the power to protect me (police, fire dept., FAA safety regs., etc.) since I already have the right to my own life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, but I can't delegate the power to stop someone else from their own pursuit of happiness, just so I can make more money myself, since I don't have that right as an individual myself. This is exactly the philosophy of our founding fathers. They therefore wouldn't be happy to allow the government to artificially limit the number of airline flights just so a few pilots could make more money.

How do you explain all the lifers at Comair, Eagle etc. that were hiring long before 9-11? What happened to their "assured job at a major"?

Very easy to explain this situation at Eagle. 2 years in the left seat, and then turn in your Eagle ID and pick up an AA ID and take your years of seniority you spent as jet Captain at Eagle, most likely 2 to 3 years, with you to AA and probably be a line holder right off the bat. The good ole flow through! The biggest bunch of bunk ever perpetrated on the regional pilot group!

As far as Comair, well that is harder to explain. Didn't they used to have preferential interviews with Delta? Plus, their contract 2001 was at least barely acceptable circa 2001 to whenever they were screwed into concessions. Not to mention that Eagle, Horizon, maybe Comair I don't know what it's like working under their concessionary contract are but 3 of the only regionals that one can barely stand to work for, while the others I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

Latest resources

Back