• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots detained in Brazil

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are still missing the point! It was an accident, he didn't do anything wrong on purpose. How hard is this to grasp!

If the guy that ran the stop sign had been excessively speeding or drunk and ran the stop sign, then it is n-o-t an a-c-c-i-d-e-n-t.

AK
If it is not an accident then what is it? This just happened, how do you know what the reason was? Did they mean to do it? And what if they were a thousand feet off of altitude? Have you never mis understood an ATC instruction? Have you never forgotten what altitude to hold?

If it is not an accident then what is it? This just happened, how do you know what the reason was? Did they mean to do it? And what if they were a thousand feet off of altitude? Have you never mis understood an ATC instruction? Have you never forgotten what altitude to hold?

I don;t know what the reason was. Have you been reading the thread? The "speculation" was they were not flying their assigned altitude on purpose. If you go back and read the thread, you will see, I said before every sentence"if that is what happened"

And yes I have And yes I have, But never on purpose.

AK

Looks like its getting ugly down there.

From AvWeb:

"Lepore and Paladino were quoted as saying they did not turn off the transponder and that they were flying at the proper altitude, assertions that have made Brazilian authorities 'furious', according to news reports out of Brazil."

Sooooo.....saying that you were doing nothing wrong makes the Brazilian cops "furious". Yeah, this will be a fair trial.....

WOW. It looks like they are going to face 155 counts of involuntary manslaughter if the government finds them "guilty". Does anyone know if US pilots have ever been convicted of something like this in the past when flying in a foriegn country?

Maybe some of the pilots over here would start paying attention and not taking off on the wrong runway if they knew there was a legal consequence for their actions (like facing involuntary manslaughter charges).

Having spent a good deal of time all over the world for this business, I think you can safely assume that the average American has little appreciation for other cultures and some feeling that if they get in trouble, the US government will come riding to the rescue. Not so!!
There is also a feeling that we think our way is the only way. That somehow these countries are nor worthy or do not have a government that is credible or courts that understand what we know. Bull.
We have all kinds of circumstances here for accidents being more than civil matters. Manslaughter as example-- vehicular homicide.
Just like here, we need to let this play out and see what happens. After all, we never make any kneejerk reactions around here.

Maybe some of the pilots over here would start paying attention and not taking off on the wrong runway if they knew there was a legal consequence for their actions (like facing involuntary manslaughter charges).

Careful what you wish for.

Kids flying airplanes? That can't end well.

Yep, that would sure fix the problem.

"Hey Joe, do you want to die in a fire in the next 5 minutes?"

"Sounds good....how would you like to spend the next 6 weeks in the hospital, be paralyzed for the rest of your life and have my death and those of every person in back weighing on your conscience until your dying day?"

"Sign me up! Set takeoff thrust........WAIT! Wait just a damn minute Joe!"

"What?"

"Some genius at FlightInfo.com clued me in that we might face criminal charges if we screw up! I can't have manslaughter charges filed against me - how would I ever defend myself while hooked up to a respirator?"

"You're right - I'd hate to have those charges hanging over my greiving wife and kids. Let's re-evaluate everything we've done up to this point."

Thank you random FlightInfo.com legal genius!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back