Keep yourself well-groomed, iron your uniform, act appropriately in public places and people will not give a rats a$$ if you have a backpack on. Showing up reeking of booze, being rude, looking like a slob is what people notice...not how you carry your own personal belongings.
I stuff my XXL Body into XL Polyester pants and Shirts with a Medium-sized wifebeater underneath and go Oh-Naturale down below. I swap out the hard-soles for Birkenstocks at EVERY opportunity and carry EVERYTHING I need in a Black Pleather Fanny-Pack which carries my Skoal, toothbrush, comb, Iphone, charger and wallet. Everything ELSE I need is at the Hotel Front Desk (Razor, toothpaste, shaving cream and deodorant) if not in the rooms.
NOBODY has every commented:
1. About My Extra-Long 'Starsky' Sideburns
2. Terrible Combover (or Wearing my hat on planes, trains or in automobiles)
3. Wearing Birnenstocks
4. When my pant cuffs rise showing my hairy shins while sitting
5. When I lose a button and belly hair breaches my under shirt
6. When I must adjust my boys on the crew bus because they are indecisive which side of the inner hem to ride
7. Most of all: never complained about how my fanny pack zippers rattle like a cow-bell while I walk