• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots and Backpacks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ZJ is right. If you don't want to wear a uniform, fly freight or firebombers.

Actually, I've been on duty for up to 18 hours and have received compliments on how good I still look, smell and act.
Your juvenile argument that the company treats me like crap so I don't give a crap how I look is pathetic, at best. Do you honestly think Joe Q. Public sees a slovenly crew member and thinks either:
a.: thinks, "hmmm, bet his pension was cut 40-50%"
b.: Management treats him poorly.

If you think Joe Q. Public cares about anything more than lower ticket prices and getting there on time, you are delusional.

I only say that because you said "our," leading me to believe that you lumped yourself into that group.

I would say the demise of Airline Pilots having "rockstar" status goes hand-in-hand with more and more of the general public flying. Back then flying was a big event and everyone dressed up to go flying. Now it's just another mode of transportation.

You are right about one thing. Back in the day when this "old man" was growing up, pilots were looked up to and passengers were in awe of them. It sounds corny, but it is true. Sorry, dude, but if you want to be treated with respect you have to earn it. One way of earning is is to carry yourself with pride and professionalism at ALL times.

Where have I ever said that I don't take care about my uniform and the way I look? Just because I don't like wearing the monkey suit doesn't mean I don't take care of it. I am still referring to the packback issue. My question still stands. Do your rules (or you) say anything about having a backpack on your rollaboard? I'm not talking wearing it on your back while in uniform but sitting it on your luggage? No one seems to want to answer this question. I just don't think it looks unprofessional to carry one this way.

Also, in general, I do give a f#ck what Joe Q. public thinks of me when I'm at work. I still pressed my uniform, was well manicured and kept a clean hair cut. But that was for me...not the public (and partly a carry over from my mil background). Where I derive all my pride is my family. I take great pride in my girls growing up and succeeding in life. I don't base my worth, in life, on my job...it's simply an means to provide for my family. I still take the flying very serious and do my job well. But in the end, it's just that...a job!

BTW, if you don't like wearing a uniform (or the monkey suit), why didn't you enter a different career (or fly freight in the middle of the night where you could wear jeans and a tee-shirt?)

I did...I went back to mil flying. Some of the most respected (and most highly paid) pilots I know wear Polo shirts, khaki pants and dress shoes to work. That uniform is good enough for CEOs of many companies...I think it's good enough for Joe Q. public...but that just my opinion.

The jeans and T-shirt comment was more about times changing and how people used to wear suits when they went out and now look what people wear (not flying).

Or mil...nothing like wearing PJs to work! :)

Last edited:

Not true

Regarding freighter airlines, most of them have their pilots wear uniforms. The following wear uniforms and some even hats:

ABX
UPS
Fed EX
ATI
Amerijet
Capital Cargo
Astar
Atlas
Kalitta
Polar
Southern
National