• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots and Backpacks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most airlines say no backpacks...... er, most Majors anyway. So, if you want to be a Major airline pilot one day, start acting one.

Professionalism. You either have it, or you should do something else (go back to school). Wearing backpacks to work only encourages your management to treat and pay you like a monkey. Unfortunately, it makes the rest of us look bad too. So, if you are wearing a backpack - expect me to tell you that you look like a moron in the airport (because you do).

Is it ok to have the bag attached to a rollerboard an not wear it? Is there in fact a correlation between professionalism and the shape of a bag?

Ummm....there's no such thing as a "rollerboard" unless its some kind of skateboard. Its either rollaboard or rollerbag.

I'm willing to bet the guys "for" the backpacks are the same guys who hate the hat and monkey suit. You're also the same studs who complain about how sh!tty American FAs are in comparison to foreign ones. You know what? I can make the same argument about American pilots compared to foreign ones. I travel a lot on foreign airlines and have NEVER seen ties undone, backpacks, stickers on their luggage, scuffed-up shoes, etc., etc., etc. Crap, they don't even look wrinkled after a 7 hour flight. I don't know how they do it, but they do. Those guys know how to wear a uniform proudly and professionally.
Some of you guys should hang around JFK's International Terminal for a couple of hours. You could learn something....

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet the guys "for" the backpacks are the same guys who hate the hat and monkey suit. You're also the same studs who complain about how sh!tty American FAs are in comparison to foreign ones. You know what? I can make the same argument about American pilots compared to foreign ones. I travel a lot on foreign airlines and have NEVER seen ties undone, backpacks, stickers on their luggage, scuffed-up shoes, etc., etc., etc. Crap, they don't even look wrinkled after a 7 hour flight. I don't know how they do it, but they do. Those guys know how to wear a uniform proudly and professionally.
Some of you guys should hang around JFK's International Terminal for a couple of hours. You could learn something....

The difference in foreign carriers is that they provide our full uniforms, uniform replacements 1 time a year (including shoes), dry cleaning, custom tailoring, and luggage for free. It is alot easier to keep a good standard look when your company is willing to spend some coin to maintain their image as well as ours in the eye of the public.

The difference in foreign carriers is that they provide our full uniforms, uniform replacements 1 time a year (including shoes), dry cleaning, custom tailoring, and luggage for free. It is alot easier to keep a good standard look when your company is willing to spend some coin to maintain their image as well as ours in the eye of the public.

I didn't realize washing and ironing a white shirt and using shoe polish was a big expense. Are you really saying some people would rather look like slobs since their airline doesn't help them? Jeez, maybe the airline should provide soap, deodorant, toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo and a comb too. (Oh, and let's not forget the hair gel!!!)

Sorry, but it's a matter of something called P-R-I-D-E and not, "they're not willing to spend some coin," so I'll show them and look like crap.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Most airlines say no backpacks...... er, most Majors anyway. So, if you want to be a Major airline pilot one day, start acting one.

Professionalism. You either have it, or you should do something else (go back to school). Wearing backpacks to work only encourages your management to treat and pay you like a monkey. Unfortunately, it makes the rest of us look bad too. So, if you are wearing a backpack - expect me to tell you that you look like a moron in the airport (because you do).

:beer: Thank you!!

I didn't realize washing and ironing a white shirt and using shoe polish was a big expense. Are you really saying some people would rather look like slobs since their airline doesn't help them? Jeez, maybe the airline should provide soap and deodorant too.
Sorry, but it's a matter of something called P-R-I-D-E and not, "they're not willing to spend some coin" so I'll show them and look like crap.
:rolleyes:

Yep....that's what I am saying. Enjoy your P-R-I-D-E and enjoy polishing things and ironing.

Last edited:
Is it ok to have the bag attached to a rollerboard an not wear it?

What's wrong with setting a backpack on top of your rollaboard as you drag it down the terminal? It's not on your back and does not look unprofessional at all!

What's wrong with throwing a backpack on top of a rollaboard as you wheel down the terminal?

Ummm....there's no such thing as a "rollerboard" unless its some kind of skateboard. Its either rollaboard or rollerbag.

The question still stands...

I'm willing to bet the guys "for" the backpacks are the same guys who hate the hat and monkey suit.

Yes, but I've always hated dressing up...I like your Polo shirt and khaki pants idea!

You're also the same studs who complain about how sh!tty American FAs are in comparison to foreign ones.

Well...they are!

You know what? I can make the same argument about American pilots compared to foreign ones. I travel a lot on foreign airlines and have NEVER seen ties undone, backpacks, stickers on their luggage, scuffed-up shoes, etc., etc., etc.

Really...I've seen plenty.

But anyway my guess is that these pilots, haven't lost their pensions and 40-50% of their original pay. They are probably still treated well by their management and still respected by the general public. I bet if you look back a few decades even our pilots were like that. Company starts treating you like crap and taking your pay...people tend to change their view on their company. I've seen it in the corporate world as well...it happens.

Crap, they don't even look wrinkled after a 7 hour flight. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

So you're freely admitting that even YOUR uniform looks like crap after 7 hours? Ugh...you must have no pride in how you look...

Times change old man. I bet your father thought it was just terrible when people starting going out, at night, without a suit on. He probably complained about how these punk kids had no respect or pride in how they look because they wore T-shirt and jeans out...gasp! Da^n kids and their rock n' roll...

It's a simple matter of function over form (with backpacks). It's not that I absolutely love backpacks...they just have a lot more utility than most other luggage. I have a place to safely store my laptop, my camera (DSLR) and lenses, etc... Now in uniform (beside my mil uniform), I wouldn't wear it, I simply lay it on top of my rollaboard and rest it against the handle....I don't see the problem in that?!

Actually, I've been on duty for up to 18 hours and have received compliments on how good I still look, smell and act.
Your juvenile argument that the company treats me like crap so I don't give a crap how I look is pathetic, at best. Do you honestly think Joe Q. Public sees a slovenly crew member and thinks either:
a.: thinks, "hmmm, bet his pension was cut 40-50%"
b.: Management treats him poorly.

Ridiculous!

You are right about one thing. Back in the day when this "old man" was growing up, pilots were looked up to and passengers were in awe of them. It sounds corny, but it is true. Sorry, dude, but if you want to be treated with respect you have to earn it. One way of earning is is to carry yourself with pride and professionalism at ALL times. Face it, if a woman dresses in a smart and sophisticated manner, she is treated like a lady. If she dresses like a cheap ho and has a filthy mouth, she is treated as such. That, my friend, is human nature 101. Deal with it.

BTW, if you don't like wearing a uniform (or the monkey suit), why didn't you enter a different career (or fly freight in the middle of the night where you could wear jeans and a tee-shirt?) I just don't get you guys who know the rules and expectations going in, then get all pissy about it and thumb your nose at regulations. WTF??

Latest resources

Back