• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots against JBPA (jetblue union)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They enter into long term contracts with Airbus and the Port Authority. Does that hinder their abilitity to be flexible too? Why should a 3-5 year contract with the pilots be any different? Nobody else JetBlue deals with operates without a written binding agreement. Why should employees be any different?

No CBA is iron clad. The "differing" interpetations begin when the ink is barely dry.

Then you have Force Majuer and CH 11 to also break your CBA.

For the record (and despite Bavarian's insistence that all who differ from him are nuts), I am not against a union per se. Having actually been ALPA for 13+ years at regional, major cargo and major pax airlines, I can say with experience that what we have, while far from perfect, is worth a few more years of patience to have leadership put their plans in place.

Everyone seems to be quick to dismiss the spotty measured improvements that have taken place under unprecedented financial and energy turmoil.

And what's the no furlough worth to you? Oh, you don't care since you're not on the bottom?

A union is NOT going to be the one and all solution that many think it will be.

I'm willing to give them two years to make the improvements in medical, retirement and compensation that need to happen.

Everyone is free to make their choice. But these guys that beat their chests and spay their clam sauce breath in my face... GIVE IT A REST.

I'm willing to give them two years to make the improvements in medical, retirement and compensation that need to happen.

And if those improvements do not materialize, then what, another PCRB?

Last edited:
Will you DORKS please take this to another thread?

Seriously, this thread is about JB and the NMB -- not a discussion about the Founding Fathers, God, the evolution of the Union, the Magna Carta, or whether Sleestacks on the TV show "The Land of the Lost" harmed an entire generation of children.

START ANOTHER F-IN THREAD YOU JAGNUTS.

I can't believe a grown adult can write this stuff... You're too personal for a Navy guy, maybe that's why they have their names imprinted on their rear pant pockets...
user_offline.gif

Ahhhhh the Sleestacks. After years of therapy I had forgotten about them. Then you had to go and say it........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPWDlpzASg&feature=related

They enter into long term contracts with Airbus and the Port Authority. Does that hinder their abilitity to be flexible too? Why should a 3-5 year contract with the pilots be any different? Nobody else JetBlue deals with operates without a written binding agreement. Why should employees be any different?

Funny you should mention long term contracts. I seem to recall that airlines prefer known "fixed costs" as opposed to variable unknowns. It seems to me that contract rates are good for a couple years at least but our current system allows for annual review of compensation. The problem is, they can choose to annually ignore the fact that we are below industry average at every level of compensation.

Vote now!

Funny you should mention long term contracts. I seem to recall that airlines prefer known "fixed costs" as opposed to variable unknowns. It seems to me that contract rates are good for a couple years at least but our current system allows for annual review of compensation. The problem is, they can choose to annually ignore the fact that we are below industry average at every level of compensation.

Vote now!

I'd say, by far, we are way above industry standards for lack of furloughs. Also, for those who continue to compare JBLU with SWA-- please, an 8.5 y/o airline vs a 38.5 y/o airline is no comparison... Nor is us with UPS or FedEx either... We're headed into the worse year for air travel in 50+ years, I'd say the timing is WAY OFF for a union that will most likely get us nothing but an additional paycut and furloughs when drawn-out neophite negotiations years later are complete. Meanwhile, other smaller in-house unions like NPA will go by the wayside. Truly, if we were going for a union, with our size, ALPA would be a better choice-- and look at what they've done for Cactus and the other airlines lately!!!

First of all, COL Beard flew B-52s so you have the wrong guy! Additionally, 35% of the pilots showed interest in JBPA, they did not vote for it, YET. If the economy continues on its pace, I think you'll find that in the end-- JBLU pilots will not vote for JBPA, they'd rather keep their jobs and be hopeful for a more meaningful existence in the future, hopefully, as the economy and our company prospers...

Are you sure it's only 35%?

BTW, where in your profile does it say what you flew in the AF?

Last edited:
How about some facts on how much this JBPA thing is going to cost-- they say 1% of my gross salary/year will be the dues-- crap, if everyone made a combined average of $100,000/year (and thats probably close) that would only generate $1.9 million to run a union... (that's assuming all 1900 will become members) Um, that doesn't even fund the "war chest" the company provides for free now... Nor will it even come close to paying all the lawyers, office fees, or union leaders' lunches... Many years ago when SWA was given money to start a union, wasn't that figure around $10 million 30 years ago?SO, how much are our "special assessments going to be to really start off an in-house union? Is it going to be what I put aside for my daughter's college? Will we in a couple of years, when dissastisfied with JBPA because they couldn't provide anything for us, be in Airtran's shoes-- looking to trade unions... I guess only a Navy guy could understand the humor in this...

Latest resources

Back