Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brilliant!

Skyline said:
Maybe Boeing could still install some placebo yokes and levers to move so that you feel like you have done something.

YES! This is a win/win situation for everyone. The pilots feel like they are serving a purpose and the PX have no clue the pilots aren't flying!

Unfortunetly, I don't think management will fall for this. At least they won't want to pay us to do it.

Are we talking about pilotless aircraft, or unmanned aircraft? I think they are totally different animals, and some people seem to be interchanging them.

Has the military designed a pilotless aircraft yet? The only thing I've seen are unmanned aircraft, like the X-45 series. As I understand it, the X-45 can do some items on its own, but not everything all the time.

mynameisjim said:
Are we talking about pilotless aircraft, or unmanned aircraft? I think they are totally different animals, and some people seem to be interchanging them.

Has the military designed a pilotless aircraft yet? The only thing I've seen are unmanned aircraft, like the X-45 series. As I understand it, the X-45 can do some items on its own, but not everything all the time.

"The Global Hawk is an autonomous, rather than a remotely-piloted vehicle. This means that all missions are pre-planned and loaded into the vehicle’s navigation and mission computers prior to take-off."

http://www.global-defence.com/2002/surv-globalhawk.html

I think Tony brings up a good point. I'll bet a dollar two-ninety-eight that we'll have driverless cars WAY before we have pilotless airplanes. In fact, public acceptance of the cockpitless aircraft can't/won't occur BEFORE driverless cars, IMHO.

If we barely even trust trains (one dimension) to have no operator, imagine the problems involved in operating a driverless car (two dimensions). Add in the third dimension.

What about the transition period, where we need to integrate the pilotless with the piloted aircraft? I mean, with no pilots, I'm envisioning a very inflexible ATC system. Controllers may be needed to sequence the drones to the IAF, but from there the drones can manage their own speeds and altitudes etc to touchdown. The fortunate few pilots who hang on to the end in their antiquated machines will have to work around the drones, giving way etc because of the inherent inflexibilities of the drones. Will the ATC system be less or more efficient with pilotless aircraft? I think there is no doubt it will be less.

20 years huh? No way. But, I only need 18...

Skyline said:
We all know that a car and airplane are diffrent.

RIght, an airplane operates in 3 dimensions instead of just two, and it can't be brought to an immediate halt should something go wrong.

what was your point again?

A Squared said:
RIght, an airplane operates in 3 dimensions instead of just two, and it can't be brought to an immediate halt should something go wrong.

what was your point again?

The number of dimensions has little to do with it. Autopilots have been succesufully steering aircraft in three dimensions since the 40's. A car can be easily equiped with robotic steering and braking, but it operates in an environment where it has many things it has to sense and avoid (other cars, curbs, trees, pedestrians, etc) while an aircraft only has to sense other aircraft and the terrain. Which they can already do (TCAS and EGPWS). Clearly aircraft operations are easier to automate. They've had pilotless "drone" or "UAV" aircraft for decades but only recently developed prototype cars that could succesfully drive themselves around without running into things.

Skyline said:
Tony,

We all know that a car and airplane are diffrent.

Skyline
Well, some of us do, anyway.

So, perhaps you could describe to us the feelings that you encounter when you consider climbing into a driverless car for the morning commute. Does it offend your macho driver-man ego? Why can't you let go of the steering wheel, Skykline? Do you feel threatened? Do you need a placebo steering wheel to make you feel more secure?

The technology exists to deploy driverless cars now - - but unforeseen problems and unexpected malfunctions would only endanger a few people at a time. Won't you volunteer?

If Airbus had it's way, they'd have us all flippin' burgers by now. It's bad enough they degrade our proffession by calling them "-bus"

My favorite clip still remains that of the Airbus trying to do a low pass at an airshow and slamming into the trees. I believe the narrator says something along the lines of "this is the first fully automated plane; flown by a computer"

http://www.airdisaster.com/download/af320.shtml

Latest resources

Back