Pilotless Cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Today

To those of you you love flying. Even now there are few joys in the flight deck of a modern airliner. Most company manuals require that the crew use "maximum Automation". Even simple airspeed and heading changes are accomplished through the computer or auto pilot. Very soon after take off (1000') the auto pilot goes on and from then on until short final you don't hand fly the plane. I enjoyed flying the best back when I flew the plane during the entire trip. Ever since I made it to the bigger stuff it has been a huge boring drag. Welcome to the future of aviation. It isn't for pilots anymore but computer geeks.

I say that even today modern airliners are flown by human computers. We are not allowed to think for ourselves to even the slightest degree. We do what we are told by manuals, repetitive training and checklists.

To a pilot who loves to fly and have input. It is no fun at all.

Skyline

TonyC said:
One must consider the consequences of a catastrophic failure of those automated systems. What happens when the cockpit goes completely dark?

Another plane will sent to intercept the aircraft and transfer human pilots. I believe they did that in one of the Airport movies.

Superunknown said:
Commercial aircraft being flown without pilots will happen. When, is the question. An educated guess would put it right around 20 years or so for the technology to be sufficient. By then computerization will be monitoring OUR actions not vice-versa.

I actually think in the next 100 yrs we have a better chance of having a manned mission to Pluto than of this happening! If I'm betting in Vegas I say we have less than a 2% chance of pilotless airliners in the next century. The public simply will not stand for it, espically after the recent JB incident.

Oh and BTW we must do our part not to allow this to happen in terms of voicing our stance to the FAA like we are now with the ADIZ. We as pilots will have to stand as one and not allow it to happen and for management to rape us more than they already do. We will have to start a campaign with the public and use scare tactics with them so incidents like JB are fresh in their mind. We CAN stop this from happening, IF we all stand together as one and speak with one unambigious loud voice.

PAPA FOX! said:
Is FN FAL Tony C's alter ego?
No, but there was an autonoumous joke punch line secreted in the MS Word post. :laugh:

Last edited:
What?

PAPA FOX! said:
We will have to start a campaign with the public and use scare tactics with them so incidents like JB are fresh in their mind. We CAN stop this from happening, IF we all stand together as one and speak with one unambigious loud voice.

"Unambigious loud voice" of lies and trickery? Yeah, this is the way to win the public's trust!

PAPA FOX! said:
I actually think in the next 100 yrs we have a better chance of having a manned mission to Pluto than of this happening! If I'm betting in Vegas I say we have less than a 2% chance of pilotless airliners in the next century. The public simply will not stand for it, espically after the recent JB incident.

If you're so sure about your opinion why then must we use "scare tactics" on the public? Most of the flying public you're "scaring" will be long gone by the time airliners are automated and you'll have just wasted your efforts. IF, and that's a big red if, automation in aircraft can be safer than human pilots wouldn't that be best for the public?

I'm all about real pilots flying airplanes, but I don't think that we need to "scare" the public into allowing us to fly the planes.

Last edited:
Superunknown said:
When Airbus made a GIANT leap and decided that the technology was sufficient for NO actual mechanical connection to the flight controls, and it gave the aircraft the ability to over-ride a pilot's inputs to preserve itself, it marked the beginning of the end for a Human piloted aircraft.
... and created the world's fastest chainsaw.

Latest resources

Back