Piloting career regrets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is your answer:
When you go to work, do you view it (and think of it) as work?
When I go to "work," I don't look at it as such. I'm not sure what it is...I have yet to put words to it. I do know that I have alot of fun and that I couldn't be happier. My day could consist of having to divert around a line of T-storms, holding for an hour, and then diverting to the alternate for fuel and to wait out the storms and I STILL have the same smile on my face that I did when I soloed for the first time. Sure there are times when I grumble, like I did tonight facing a 107kt headwind but on the plus side I got to see an incredible sunset and the stars put on a great show.
When you go to "work" and you don't daydream about being anyplace else or look longingly <sp?> to the sky, then you know you're in the right spot doing the right thing.

My 1st cousin is a Radiologist and pulls in around 350K per year...He HATES his job.

I am a 6 year Regional FO pulling in around 40K per year...I LOVE mine.

Only you can decide.

Although my cousin does get 12 weeks vacation per year....Maybe I do hate my job :confused: :confused: :confused:

:) :) :)

Flying used to be a good job. In the last couple of years, however, it's in a very steep descent with no pull out in sight. Expect more compensation cuts, more workdays, and more cut throat competition.

I'd quit, except I'm too close to retirement and my other managerial credentials have gone too stale to be marketable. I used to like going to work, flying, meeting passengers, etc. Now I get p.o'd just walking into an airport.

If you can live with a typical regional compensation and work rule package for the rest of your life, then be my guest.

Go to med school and forget about it!!!!!!!
This career can be brutal and don't event think about spending thanksgiving with your family for the first few years!
Without Pappa, don't even think about owning new, nice stuff.
Managemets usually hate you, they don't value you!!
It could take ten years for you to make what you'd make first or second year out of med school, considering today's enviroment that is.
Sorry dude, it can be that brutal.

On my last medical examination the doc told me not to go to med school. I don't know why he considered it important to share this piece of wisdom with me as I have never had such inspirations. He also mentioned that he made sure none of his sons will ever attend med school. He explained this with the high liability insurance and all the administrative paperwork that comes with it. I got a complete lecture on it while he barely paid attention to what he was doing (of course who am I to tell). He also said that one of his sons has his own jet operation out of Boca Raton, FL and struggles while competing with shady charters that are very common around the area. Then he lost his interest in the conversation when I told him the largest airplane I have ever flown was a 172.

I guess his son will tell to his kids that they should forget about becoming a, doctors or b, anything aviation related... whatever but I am not going back behind an office desk to stare at a screen for the rest of my life. Screw that.

I would really appreciate people who could share their stories--more imprtantly regrets, bad stories, etc.--on piloting that would allow us to know what to expect in this kind of career.

OK, I think about this on a daily basis, and saw it again this morning. I'm flying into ATL from an outstation on the return leg of a nap. It is still dark out, and I look down, and what do I see?

Nothing but friggin' brake lights of cars belonging to the poor souls that have to spend the rest of their lives doing 9-to-5.

The pay sucks sometimes, the hours suck sometimes....but I wouldn't trade it in to sit in commutter traffic M-F twice a day.

Good luck with your decision.

Remember, nobody looks back on their life and says, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time at the office."

Typhoon1244 said:
My low point came when I ran afoul of a FlightSafety/Vero Beach check airman who found fault with everything I did. I had never failed a stage check until he came along. I suppose it was just a personality conflict...I wasn't one of those aggressive golfing, beer-drinking types. After a couple of flights, this guy had me convinced that I couldn't fly.

(I don't want to mention his name, but his initials are "Kevin Pence.")

I heard through the alumni grapevine that he was fired several months ago, something about getting cought cheating on his wife with one of the girls in flight ops.

I also had the bad luck of getting the same check airman for three stage-checks. Not that i have a problem with gays, but.........well you know.

Those brake lights you saw are operated by those who will hopefully continue to do thier jobs, since they are the ones that cause airplanes to fly, in the larger sense of this.

I have commuted into NYC several times over the last several months. No big deal, I drove cab there in college. I don't have to do it every day, or even every week. Every job I get takes me to a different place with friendly people and a very satisfying check for an hour or two's worth of work.

So to suggest that every job outside of aviation that is worth having is either in front of a screen in a cubicle or requiring a boring commute every day is incorrect. Many of the people that you see as you fly are the people that keep GA alive. They have good jobs, and they are enjoying life. Hopefully, they charter a jet once in a while, or become fractional owners.

We should be thankful that they are there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back