Piloting career regrets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was smarter than my parents and grandparents, tired of school

Oh, yes. I recall those feelings. I pictured myself as a doc, reaching into a retired colonel's fat gut and said "none for me, thanks".

I wish now that I had been able to think about my future instead of an old man's hernia.

Avbug,

I like your posts, I find them to be a great read...

but man...ya gotta lay off a bit..

sleeping in planes, under wings, changing engines in hurricanes, getting bashed by nuclear thunderstorms...???

pretty interesting.

88_MALIBU said:
Get a good paying job and buy your own airplane, then you'll really look forward to the drive to the airport.
...all week long. And for two or three weeks if the weather's bad or you have things that keep you from the airport.

Having your own equipment is very satisfying and a lot of fun. But 1-2 hrs every couple of weeks isn't enough to offset enduring bull$#!t 8-10 hrs a day, M-F, IMVHO.

One thing for sure - the grass is always greener on the other side.

If you have any doubts now, don't do it. Honestly, if I had to do it again, I'm not sure I would, and I'm one of the lucky ones. I was furloughed by a major airline and hired again by another major post 9/11. I'll share with you an observation I received years ago. It is the best, most accurate summation of flying for a living I've ever heard, it goes like this

"it's a great job but a shi**y career

I'll leave it up to you to interpret that.

Hawkins and Powers

You guys obviously have not flown or worked for Hawkins and Powers Aviation. I believe everything AvBug has said and have been there with the guys and observed it all. The only thing I don't buy is seeing the top of a TRW with a C-119, I assume that was with some other outfit flying LR-23's. Carry on.

this is what i love to do. follow your passion, i think that's your best shot at being happy. if, after 10 years, you hate what you're doing, do something else!!

still, the question is a little silly. do we have regrets over what has actually happened in our careers versus what we imagine might have happened if we'd become doctors, lawyers, professional athletes? sure. do we have a realistic view of those other careers? i doubt it.

Doctors - every friend of mine in medicine has close to $200k in debt after 8-10 years of training. some are lined up for lucrative tracks - radiology, dermatology - some aren't. they work lots of weekends/holidays/graveyard shifts when they're getting started. some will make hundreds of thousands a year, most will probably make $60,000 - $80,000. with managed care, most salaries have dropped at least 30%. you think aviation is a messed up industry? what, like health care is some beacon of efficiency and aptitude? and hey, if your landing doesn't come out quite the way you planned, at least you don't get sued to have your license taken away...

Lawyers - also takes many years/$$$ to become one. Average salary? less than $40k/year. still, i know a guy who got on with a prestigious firm in Chicago. makes close to $100k after 3 years with the firm. works at least 80/hours a week. only goes out with people from work - has no time to meet anyone else. gained 30 pounds in last two years, doesn't have time/energy to work out. desperately wants to find someone and get married but is depressed about rate of divorce among colleagues. wants to transfer to smaller city/smaller firm but can't afford it until loans are paid off in 15 years. works mostly for big corporations defending their more than questionable actions.

i can tell you about others who are doing great, really living the dream, but we're focusing on regrets. so why do some stay with it? it's in their blood, they don't know how to do anything else, they don't want to do anything else, they're too afraid to do anything else? depends on the person.

you want to work 9 to 5? there are jobs out there. Want to spend more time with the family? ok, then do it. What's stopping you? You think your kid really cares if you're a pilot vs. a garbageman? more likely, it's you that cares more.

every year or so i'll find an article about a school janitor who leaves $2 million to the school district after he passes away. usually the guy worked there most of his life, lived simply, invested what he earned, sent his kids off to colleges he could never afford, then gave back to the place where he saw so many dreams, so much potential.

Choices, choices, choices. all you have to do is make them.

good post..

but I think your lawyer salary is a little out of wack...

having 3 friends (2 male 1 female) who are lawyers in thier late 20's early 30's - I can tell you that YES they had big student loan debt. 2 of 3 had that paid off instantly the day they joined a good firm. All make EASY six figure incomes. They do work long hours, but they also golf quite a bit (part of work)..they party quite a bit...

none went to ivy league law schools (2 were ivy undergrads).

Show me a lawyer who starts at less than 40K and I say he/she is a fool.

At least you are asking the right questions and already know there is a downside.

Flying for a living is more a lifestyle and much, much more than a job. However, if I had my time again, I would run a mile. Too many problems nowadays, it's no longer fun. Pay piss poor, poor CEOs, not enough job security (did it ever have any, I don't think so), to mention just a few.

It's OK if you are a 20-something CRJ driver currently in work but if you are 40+, furloughed or laid off for the next 4 years with no prospects, it ain't the career you want. Don't get me wrong, I used to love it, maybe still do. But the heartaches are not worth it in the long run. FYI, I have 3 ICAO licenses, a string of type ratings, 5 layoffs over 12 years (each time starting over) plenty of hours both international and domestic but no hits in over a year. What other profession would even put up with that kind of thing, not once but several times over. With due respects to my younger colleagues, you haven't even begun to live until you have seen/been what I have.

As for Mr. Kit Darby, his main job is to get your hard earned cash and for that, he will spin whatever story he needs so you will buy it. Seen it before. When the economy is down, he and other like companies will go on the rampage to recruit members. Great if you are a wannabe and don't know Jack about 135/121 airlines - otherwise, it's all hype. As a UAL pilot, he is probably furloughed himself or about to be. So go figure, Air Inc is likely his only source of income. All I'm saying is his organization is like a Costco/Sam's Club warehouse where you can buy general info in bulk. I've seen better info on this borad and elsewhere on the internet and without paying for flights and hotels you can ill-afford. Whether it will work for you in the end is merely a crap shoot! Then again, you might not worry about spending your cash to be told that SWA, ATA, ACA or whoever are going to be at the next seminar. It really makes no difference unless you are already in cahoots with the HR director or Chief Pilot. That's how the real world works.
Glad it works out for some but newcomers REALLY need to have their eyes fully open before embarking on this "career" and know something of negatives which are far more prevalent than almost any other industry.
Just my two cents worth!

Whatever you do try to do something you can enjoy and hopefully the money will be there or will get there.
I'm in operational management. The only thing I "enjoy" about my current job is that it is fairly "easy", an "easy" schedule, and I get paid "well" for what I do. Don't know how long that will last though. Otherwise, it is boring as can be and offers minimal satisfaction. Like some of the posters have said either go for a flying job and hope the pay and satisfaction are there or go for a job where you can afford plenty of flight time outside of work. I cringe at the thought of having approximately another 20 years (assuming no layoffs, etc.) of this in front of me :confused: .
At the same time, if it wasn't for my job I wouldn't be flying today. Bittersweet.

Last edited:
I regret that I didn't start flying sooner. I got all my ratings in college. I regret that I went into debt to finance my ratings. Now I am paying for it. I would have been better off paying as I went.

However I would probably live somewhere else and wouldn't be married to my lovely wife and have the wonderful boy I do now so in reality, my life isn't perfect but I don't have any serious regrets.

I regret not studying harder in flight school. I regret saying some things to another instructor in the heat of the moment. I regret not giving some of my students better instruction.

Like I said, I'm not perfect. I have learned from my mistakes and hopefully a better person now than I was.

Flying is a very rewarding career in some ways but also one that requires sacrifice, persistance, and dedication. I would reiterate the suggestion to stay single if you need to. It's hard to start out in the aviation business being married.

Latest resources

Back