• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piloting career regrets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never heard anyone say that medicine is more challenging...I've heard a lot of other reasons (largely monetary) for being an MD over flying. But it does make sense. It's pleasing to hear that viewpoint, over the strictly mercenary financial one. I've been reading Carl's work for a little while now, and enjoy his commentary.

The jump was one of those stupid-me-could-have-prevented-the-whole-thing events. I remember parts of it, and much of it has been filled in for me over the years by folks who were there. I was missing big chunks of it until last year when I did some jumping with a couple of folks who were on the same skydive with me. I'm grateful to one in particular, because she was one who jumped into the place where I landed, and filled me in on some of the details.

I was two years without a skydive, and returned to make three currency jumps, one of which was a malfunction. I borrowed some gear to attend a meet, in which I didn't intend to jump, but pack. I only went there to make a little money packing.

Before the meet, I had injured my right hand. I was up for two days because of some circumstances. I rode down to the meet on a Cessna 411, and fell asleep on the way. I woke up to some yelling and a blast of cold air and saw the last set of feet going out the door. I went after them and was still getting my helmet on as I went out the door...and really woke up when I hit the slipstream.

It was a long spot: I landed in an area full of cactus and mesquite/sage/saltbush. I had intended to pack, but somehow got talked into doing a 2-way skydive. I do remember the exit, the breakoff, and my opening. I had what started as a spinning malfunction, and became a ball of garbage. We were in some relatively stiff winds, but the upper winds were howling, and it was a long spot in some steep country. Instead of being over the DZ, we were nearly over the nearby higher terrain. I was wearing a round reserve, (this was before the Cypress, and AAD's were considered by many of us to be less than satisfactory).

Facing the choice between trying to clear what I had, and cut away over the terrain (much closer to the ground than had we been over the DZ), plus the round reserve in those winds and the turbulence aloft, I elected to keep the malfunction. Probably not a good choice, but then hindsight is always better. I was able to stabilize the spin, had some collapsed cells (but don't have a clear mental picture of the full nature of the malfunction; I think a certain amount of what I actually remember, I've remembered wrong), and cut steering lines, and suspension lines. I used risers to try to stabilize the parachute, but was close to impact at the time, with a higher descent rate at a higher density altitude under a F111 canopy, and impacted the side of a cliff downwind.

My helmet got split, my arm was torn open to the bone. My neck was twisted, and my ankle got rotated about 180 degrees. The other injuries I don't really remember (and don't want to). To the best of my knowledge, I didn't break anything, but I can't fully attest to that either. There are certain details and certain periods during and after that I have very spotty, or no memory of.

A helicopter was called for transportation, and enroute they enquired about my status. They had a second request. They were notified I was a fatal, and they abandoned the response to my location, and went to pick up the next patient. A jeep patrol was sent to my location, but couldn't get to me. Four or five other jumpers landed in my vicinity, and prevented me from walking off the little landing area where I ended up. Over the next five hours, we walked out (which to this day amazes me), to a point where I was recovered by the Sheriff's jeep patrol, and placed on a stretcher. I was then transported to an ambulance, where I was taken to a hospital, and eventually intensive care.

I remember vaguely waking up at one point with a doctor stitching up my right arm, and the doctor asking if I could feel it. I could, I mumbled something about it, and then passed out again.

Later, someone called my mother. I don't remember, but she said I was talking spanish, and that she couldn't understand me. I had no idea where I was, or for a time who I was.

Tinman, you will know some of the details of this jump. If you haven't guessed already, I'm THAT guy...or at least, I was.

CRAP-O-RAMA!!!!!!! Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!! Nope, no skydiving for me.

Last edited:
If you love to fly, dream to fly, you know it and you never come here to ask!!! It is just like falling in Love with your sweetheart, you will marry her despite all failed marriages ....

So if you have to question it ... maybe Med school is a better option.

Not quite capnmayday!

Your comments are dreamy and idealistic but maybe that's because you have not been around as long (in this game)as others nor experienced some of the heartaches of this industry/passion. I wish it were that easy!

If you have to question it, it may be because the opportunities are simply not there for some - nothing to do with dreams, hard work, paying your dues or whatever.

The real question is what to do if you are excluded from pusuing your passion when you have already done it, have the quals and experience and know you can do it - just the opportunities are not there? You cannot invite yourself to interviews, right?

Rest assured, if I knew then what I know now, I would have DEFINITELY chosen the med career over and above the flying. I'm pretty sure I would not have had to start over 4 times in 12 years! Beat that if you can.......

757 ...

I beg the differ ... I have been in this field for over 6 years ... 3+ lay offs .. never made more than 28K/yr ... still pushing rusty old Navajos ... I have flown in the Arctics, in the south and yelled at by crazy bosses in the middle of Bumble **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** Nowhere ...

When I started , I never had the funky Uniform, 6 figure salary and secure 9-5 job in mind ... I never cared where I lived or how hard I had to work. 3000 hours later and I am still enjoying it very much. I left a 90K engineering job to fly in the 90s and still no regrets ... If you want to fly ... there are jobs out there ...

If I loose interest, I just go do something else that I enjoy ...
would you fly a Navajo on extended time away from home for $28K/yr? If so ... PM me ...

Capt'n MayDay

Tinman, you will know some of the details of this jump. If you haven't guessed already, I'm THAT guy...or at least, I was.
Well Avbug, there are two local skydiving stories from the last 25 some odd years. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I asked the owner, but I'm guessing that you are one of the them(the other person died so it wasn't you, unless all your posts have come from the other side!:D). All I can say is, d@mn that was a bad day.

They say that sometimes you're the windshield, and sometimes the bug. In terms of the tylenol factor, it wasn't a particularly good day. However, right at that moment in my life I was a little conflicted on purpose. I think that the event was sort of a kick in the pants that served to remind me, like some higher power saying, "Hey, you're not dead, yet!"

I looked back on that event as a motivator that suggested there was a reason I wasn't dead. I'm not sure what that reason was or is, but I am certain that once I fulfill whatever it is...I'll be dead.

So in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't such a bad day after all. The only easy day, was yesterday.

Latest resources

Back