• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
also I see some of you guys have posted big $$$ salaries, I've been told you can make that but you have to be will to be basically a "whore". You have to be available to travel and cover several hospitals and the 100K jobs you are a contractor with no benefits, you provide your own. It's kind of like you can make 100K+ as a commuter/regional pilot but you need to pick up open time and work your a$$ to do it.

After 38 years (28 at the same hospital), on a 3 day/week sked, 12 hour days, 36hr paid at 40/week, (considered full time at her hospital) her salary is 65K.
Not true at all.
My wife signed a contract to work weekends only for the next 6 months. She works Sat-Sun only. Her $52/hour was bumped up to $62/hr. Even though she's on the clock for 24 hours that weekend, she still gets paid 40 hours per week. She can pick up open shifts all week long if she wants. She gets full bennies.

When she was a traveling nurse, she was making much more money since they offer out bonuses galore because they're so short staffed.
Traveling nurses make bank as well.

PA44jockey,

I posted this a while back. My wife has been a RN since 1982.

Some things to think about if you want to become a Nurse. Be ready to be puked on, spit on, pissed on, sh!t on, (they all smell real good especially when it comes from a drunk) screamed at, slapped in the face, punched in the face, knocked on your a$$, verbally abused, physically abused, You will get stuck with a dirty needle, you may look down the barrel of a gun, you may have a knife pointed at you. One time you will do mouth to mouth on someone who will have HIV, Hepatitis A,B,or C, Tuberculosis, or MRSA. Someone will try and sue you. You will go to court. You will work 8, 10, 12, or 16 hour shifts. You will work your a$$ off. The pay is not that great. There demand will always be high for RN's because people will always be sick and RN's leave the profession everyday. If we go to a National Health Care Plan the job will suck even more.( God I hope we don't)

701EV

You might be able to do the RN course work online but there will most likely be practical requirements, working an ICU, ER, etc. Usually you have to be sponsored by a program to be able to do these. In the NY program I am familiar with, one of the requirements was you had to do a full anatomy course with a cadaver. I'm sure it differs state to state.

Some very specialized nurses (anesthetists) might earn more than some non specialized, underperforming family practice doctors, but to overgeneralize this to the degree this statement has would be very misleading.

The most generic family practice doctors should be earning at least $120,000 - $140,000/yr. in most markets...though I know of one who lacks ambition who is closer to $85,000/yr. Depending on speciality, doctors with more training can easily exceed $250k/yr. Cardiologists are capable of pulling down well over $500k/yr. - after malpractice insurance.

Notice I said "Right away".

Somewhere out there, is a nurse tired of changing bedpans, cleaning up vomit and blood...

That nurse wants to be a pilot!

Somewhere out there, is a nurse tired of changing bedpans, cleaning up vomit and blood...

That nurse wants to be a pilot!
No. You are wrong. 100% completely wrong.

In Cincinnati look into Gateway in NKY and Galen and Christ Hopsital and Good Sam. Hospital both have Nursing programs - all are 2 year programs. After you get the 2 year program completed and pass the boards you are an RN and can work towards your BSN RN online as you work if you want to.

PA44jockey,

I posted this a while back. My wife has been a RN since 1982.

Some things to think about if you want to become a Nurse. Be ready to be puked on, spit on, pissed on, sh!t on, (they all smell real good especially when it comes from a drunk) screamed at, slapped in the face, punched in the face, knocked on your a$$, verbally abused, physically abused, You will get stuck with a dirty needle, you may look down the barrel of a gun, you may have a knife pointed at you. One time you will do mouth to mouth on someone who will have HIV, Hepatitis A,B,or C, Tuberculosis, or MRSA. Someone will try and sue you. You will go to court. You will work 8, 10, 12, or 16 hour shifts. You will work your a$$ off. The pay is not that great. There demand will always be high for RN's because people will always be sick and RN's leave the profession everyday. If we go to a National Health Care Plan the job will suck even more.( God I hope we don't)

701EV

So what you are saying is that it would be just like working at Comair? Right? (Sarcasms inserted)

Yes I understand this. As well know that lots of people are not cut out for this type of work. I believe that I am up for it though. I am not one of those people that gets sick when they see someone else get sick and I've been somewhat of a medical experiment myself over the years.

So what you are saying is that it would be just like working at Comair? Right? (Sarcasms inserted)

Yes I understand this. As well know that lots of people are not cut out for this type of work. I believe that I am up for it though. I am not one of those people that gets sick when they see someone else get sick and I've been somewhat of a medical experiment myself over the years.
One of the biggest myths of nurses is all they do is change bed pans and all that fun stuff.
There are so many different fields that a nurse can go into and never see that crap.
The area I'm interested in is the psych ward. I've already worked in one as a mental health counselor and you get to see all the interesting stuff.....including watching kids paint their bodies in what we called "War Paint" then when they were done, they would eat the remains of their "war paint".....oh yeah, war paint is thier own feces.

Latest resources

Back