• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot shortage?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not going to read this thread- but when I hear pilot shortage- I hear that movement will begin again, not that airlines will be paying kids to go to flight school out of high school-
There was a shortage in 2000- I saw hundreds of flights cancelled as airlines tried to keep up- but it wasn't so short, every mediocre pilot would get sucked up into te majors-
I see that scenario happening again -
If you want to be average to below average and are looking for the "shortage" that will get you a job at the majors- good luck with that... Probably won't happen. You might want to put in work and get better

I'm not going to read this thread- but when I hear pilot shortage- I hear that movement will begin again, not that airlines will be paying kids to go to flight school out of high school-
There was a shortage in 2000- I saw hundreds of flights cancelled as airlines tried to keep up- but it wasn't so short, every mediocre pilot would get sucked up into te majors-
If you want to be average to below average and are looking for the "shortage" that will get you a job at the majors- good luck with that... Probably won't happen. You might want to put in work and get better

So would you define 7 type ratings with, 6000+ total time with both 121 and 135 PIC and with no failures over 15 years, a 4 year degree in accounting and never fired at a job as as below average?

Still no word from WN, FedEx or anyone else good.

Problem? No strong internal ref. It's "who you know", not quality that gets you "in" these days.

Last edited:
So would you define 7 type ratings with, 6000+ total time with both 121 and 135 PIC and with no failures over 15 years, a 4 year degree in accounting and never fired at a job as as below average?

Problem? No strong internal ref. It's "who you know", not quality that gets you "in" these days.
You're timing is off. Anyone else 'good?' Are you like cousin Eddie's unemployed for 6 years relative holding out for a management position? Even if times are good, not everyone gets on at some place 'good.'

It will get tight for the airlines again. And there will still be guys with degrees, time, and everything else at the wazoo who aren't on someplace 'good.'

Last edited:
You're timing is off. Anyone else 'good?' Are you like cousin Eddie's unemployed for 6 years relative holding out for a management position? Even if times are good, not everyone gets on at some place 'good.'

It will get tight for the airlines again. And there will still be guys with degrees, time, and everything else at the wazoo who aren't on someplace 'good.'

...thus my point about the pilot shortage, or lack thereof.

So with all that time, "types" and world travel, you don't have any connections at the above places??? This aviation industry is a very small world! What is a STRONG internal ref???

What is your definition of "good"?

Sounds like you may be waiting for a while!!!

The US is the only country in the world that requires a pilot to have a 3rd level education. Total waste of time in my opinion. Why spend all that money on an education your never going to use. I'm all for educating myself and have 3 degrees but getting one for the sake of checking a box on an app for a skilled profession...... I still don't understand that one.

Well here we go again with the luck and timing play no part in anyone's career, only hard work from a chosen person is the path to success. I think I got you to admit in that thread, yes they do play a part, but you have to be ready to exploit them.

My story of the guy taking the $400/mo job as a DA-20 F/O, where he paid for his training in the DA-20 using his GI Bill. That job turned into Fedex. Or the guy who jumped from SWA in 2001 for the dream job at DAL, or the guy who jumped from DAL to PamAm in 1969. All that hard work, net working did wonders for those guys. Was it luck, or stupid planning because they did not work hard?

BTW. You guys are using hte "Pilot Shortage" verbiage, I have not used that, I have talked about the hiring boom where there are more jobs and as the markets absorbs the upper end of the pool of available jobseekers. The employers starting down to the lower end of the food chain, like JUS, will redefine competitive minimums in order to fill seat. That will drift up the chain, maybe never reaching the FedEx or SWA level, but it is coming

Last edited:
NEVER!???!!! What if we educated the up and coming pilots to command their righteous earnings. To me, being paid equivalent to a carpet cleaner is not a leveling playing ground. With all due respect to laborers, most pilots have spent money on a 4yr. degree plus flight school and have accumulated student loans only to qualify for food stamps. We CAN do something and SHOULD. I lecture at high schools and warn the bright and eager shiny jet syndrome scholars of their futures. May be that's not enough. I love AVIATION and want to encourage our youth. I am asking all of you to share your thoughts and wisdom in this matter. If we can start from the bottom, we can recreate a well respected aviation community that was lost in our generation.... Any thoughts????

My thoughts...and nothing personal here...you're giving the same worn-out arguments and ideology that everyone else has for the last 15 years...

My story of the guy taking the $400/mo job as a DA-20 F/O, where he paid for his training in the DA-20 using his GI Bill. That job turned into Fedex. Or the guy who jumped from SWA in 2001 for the dream job at DAL, or the guy who jumped from DAL to PamAm in 1969. All that hard work, net working did wonders for those guys. Was it luck, or stupid planning because they did not work hard?

And there is one place where Yip and I have to fully agree...

all you queens who try to paint yourself as somehow above those of us who didn't land the dream gig just because you did, somehow forget that 4/5ths of this industry is dumb luck...

I have a close friend who's a 777 Check Airman at AMR and one of their youngest captains... he was on top of the world for most of his career, and now he faces being junior to some AWA A320 guy...

Be careful how you judge others that ye not be likewise judged.

Latest resources

Back