Pilot shortage Myth. 7000 apps for 600 slots at DL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Redtailer

Looks like Delta will be hiring more than the advertised 300 pilots. They are now saying 600 for next year.

However, there are 7000 apps currently on file.

There is not a pilot shortage, only a shortage of pilots willing to fly for insultingly low wages and lifestyle.

Looks like Delta will be hiring more than the advertised 300 pilots. They are now saying 600 for next year.

There is not a pilot shortage, only a shortage of pilots willing to fly for insultingly low wages and lifestyle.

Yep and most of those guys have applications on file at FedEx, Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin America, American, United, US Airways, etc. etc. Everyone of these places has the same 7 or 10 thousand applications on file.

Not saying there is a shortage, but trying to use the number of applications on file is a red herring because people are applying to all of these places and they have many of the same applications on file.

Prove it....

Probably 600 per year, for the next decade. Throw in AA and UAL, and that means 15,000 retirements over the next decade, just for the big three alone. The Cargo companies also have plenty of over age 60 pilots ready to go. The pilot shortage will really show itself when the Regionals can't find enough pilots with 1500 hours (or 800 from an accredited Univ). The UNIV programs are pretty expensive, and I doubt they are churning out as many pilots as they did before. The Regionals will see the shortage first.

Bye Bye---General Lee

7000 minus the 300 or so from Emirates who have no chance thats 6700

recruiters are watching

ps
FT3

Hey Sniper. Did your wife dump you for an Emirates Pilot? I must admit I am starting to be fascinated by your pathological obsession with all thing Emirates.
Feel free to respond with your usual elevated level of discourse. However please don't take offense if I don't reply, as I will be out drinking my Rum with Kool-Aid and enjoying the nightlife of Dubai.

Hey Sniper. Did your wife dump you for an Emirates Pilot? I must admit I am starting to be fascinated by your pathological obsession with all thing Emirates.
Feel free to respond with your usual elevated level of discourse. However please don't take offense if I don't reply, as I will be out drinking my Rum with Kool-Aid and enjoying the nightlife of Dubai.

have fun . no never been married... single and 51

I will enjoy Michigan

From ASA to ATA then Emirates , not bad not bad.

PS
FT3

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back