• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

************************* Pilot Rock!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most TWA guys are very cool and level headed. But 10% will point the finger at anyone and everyone that TWA would have lasted, they all got screwed and everyone is to blame. It's a shame because that other 90% just doesn't deserve to be grouped with them.

Where is a 1200 hr. CFI supposed to go to work?

Are you kidding? When I had 1200 hours, I barely qualified to go to work flying a C310 on IFR part 135 flights........That is what a 1200 hr. CFI should do. Then when you have 2500 hours, you could go to a commuter and fly a turboprop that went 200 knots tops. Then you upgraded on a turboprop and hopefully went on to the majors.

Today, the whole damn world is/has been turned upside down. Now we have 300 hour (never been a CFI) pilots going right into a jet and upgrading at 2000 hours. Can they do it? Yes, I think the record bears it out. However, now we have people who think they are entitled to things that noone is.

You went to work for a regional....and through the process the regional is no longer a stepping stone. Management knows it, knows you know it, and is acting accordingly. ALPA has stood there mute and has allowed the siege to happen because they trying to represent two distinct groups or pilots. Until this is worked out....figure the same playbook from management, and the same reaction from pilots.

A350

A350 said:
Where is a 1200 hr. CFI supposed to go to work?

Are you kidding? When I had 1200 hours, I barely qualified to go to work flying a C310 on IFR part 135 flights........That is what a 1200 hr. CFI should do. Then when you have 2500 hours, you could go to a commuter and fly a turboprop that went 200 knots tops. Then you upgraded on a turboprop and hopefully went on to the majors.

Today, the whole dang world is/has been turned upside down. Now we have 300 hour (never been a CFI) pilots going right into a jet and upgrading at 2000 hours. Can they do it? Yes, I think the record bears it out. However, now we have people who think they are entitled to things that noone is.

You went to work for a regional....and through the process the regional is no longer a stepping stone. Management knows it, knows you know it, and is acting accordingly. ALPA has stood there mute and has allowed the siege to happen because they trying to represent two distinct groups or pilots. Until this is worked out....figure the same playbook from management, and the same reaction from pilots.

A350

While things have indeed changed, you need to keep in mind that there aren't as many freight companies now due to the new checking rule the government passed, and there are a lot less turboprops now. Jetstreams are almost all dodo birds now, and they have been replaced with CRJ200s and EMB145s.

Also, that 300 hour pilot flying a jet is a thorn in the side of us all, and luckily an exception to the rule. If you search www.aviationinterviews.com you'll find the average regional newhire is around 1500 hours. Still not the numbers you wanted, but much different than saying everyone has 300 hours. In fact, the majority of newhire regional jet guys I've met have flown their fare share of IMC, weather, and icing before they applied. Saying that all regionals guys are low time hires is about as well researched as someone piping in that all pilots are overpaid and underworked.

labbats:

Don't misunderstand the message....the problem is not the 300 hour pilots.

You are correct that things ARE different now. However, this rapid growth in the regional airlines is coming to a gross halt right now. This is just the beginning. When the economics of the 145 and CRJ200 can no longer be supported, several things will happen. The mainline pilots have basically had their arses handed to them. The regional pilots received their windfall in the form of lots of growth/upgrades...etc. Now the mainline pilots are saying that the 90 seater and in some cases the 70 seaters are theirs to fly. (I am not offering an opinion other than to say that the 90 seater is not an RJ)

Management used the RJ as a tool to decimate not only the pay of the mainline pilots, but they used it to rid themselves of lots of "overpaid" ground workers that the mainline used to employ. Now in the past, the regional pilots have fought to close the gap between their pay and the pay of their counterparts. They took the step to get the pay upwards of $90/hr for a 50 seat jet. Do the math. That means a 100 seater should pay $180/hr and you can see where the whale should pay $500/hr. These economics are not supported in today's environment, and probably will never be.

Sooner or later, the mainline pilots will put a pay rate on the table (ala the USAirways guys) that makes sense for the mainline to keep the 90 seat jets on their property. When that happens, we will see a large loss of jobs at the regionals. That is when all hell will break loose. IMO, lots of 50 seaters will be freight haulers within the next 5 years.

A350

A350 said:
labbats:

Don't misunderstand the message....the problem is not the 300 hour pilots.

You are correct that things ARE different now. However, this rapid growth in the regional airlines is coming to a gross halt right now. This is just the beginning. When the economics of the 145 and CRJ200 can no longer be supported, several things will happen. The mainline pilots have basically had their arses handed to them. The regional pilots received their windfall in the form of lots of growth/upgrades...etc. Now the mainline pilots are saying that the 90 seater and in some cases the 70 seaters are theirs to fly. (I am not offering an opinion other than to say that the 90 seater is not an RJ)

Management used the RJ as a tool to decimate not only the pay of the mainline pilots, but they used it to rid themselves of lots of "overpaid" ground workers that the mainline used to employ. Now in the past, the regional pilots have fought to close the gap between their pay and the pay of their counterparts. They took the step to get the pay upwards of $90/hr for a 50 seat jet. Do the math. That means a 100 seater should pay $180/hr and you can see where the whale should pay $500/hr. These economics are not supported in today's environment, and probably will never be.

Sooner or later, the mainline pilots will put a pay rate on the table (ala the USAirways guys) that makes sense for the mainline to keep the 90 seat jets on their property. When that happens, we will see a large loss of jobs at the regionals. That is when all hell will break loose. IMO, lots of 50 seaters will be freight haulers within the next 5 years.

A350

I couldn't agree more. And I wish all hell would break loose. But, let's face it. It won't. The EMB190 just illustrates the B scale of our generation.

I am not the only one that wants those at mainline. Give me something to work towards. I'm not looking for instant gratification, rather some comfy duty rigs and proper staffing. That's not going to happen at the regional level, it's up to you all at mainline. Don't let me down.

STINKER said:
So TSA guys bumped you intentionally....? Explain.....? Maybe they realized who you were turd! Why do we poor RJ pilots deserve an awakening...? KNGDIPSH#T I read some of your other post...you're a loser......Go hang yourself with your underwear!!

Stinker
Ex Waterskiier/Current Jetlinker

Shut up!!! I bet you don't even have a real degree!!

Someone tell me about *************************s interview I am going to be joing the force so Stick up your Pipe ALPA..........

Latest resources

Back