Pilot gets busted in Atlanta..ouch!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GravityHater said:
The term Jail Bait is out there for a good reason - don't unzip til you see two pieces of photo ID with her age embossed on them. Probably better to have your lawyer along to verify the documents as valid.

Yes there are many, many young girls out there only too happy to offer the goods, then stab you in the back. Some of them see you as a prize to collect. (
("sent that loser to prison") Beware, guys - unless you want to become one of their 'victims'.

Not saying this is what happened in Fla, but I know the above does happen.

Gotta agree. And as a woman, when a guy is wrongfully accused, it makes me madder than hell. You know why? Because it makes it that much harder for the next woman who IS legitimately raped to prove her case. Get enough of those "false claim" cases, and suddenly it's the women who are on trial more than the men who raped them.

Not to mention that I've personally had one good male friend who was wrongfully accused of raping a woman. Later, she admitted that they never even had sex, much less that he raped her. Of course, by then the damage was done to his reputation. How any woman could be so cruel as to put a guy through that type of misery is beyond me. I couldn't do it to my worst enemy.

Having said all that, I doubt we have all the facts here. I'll be interested to see what information comes out in the investigation.

LUVChild said:
Gotta agree. And as a woman, when a guy is wrongfully accused, it makes me madder than hell. You know why? Because it makes it that much harder for the next woman who IS legitimately raped to prove her case. Get enough of those "false claim" cases, and suddenly it's the women who are on trial more than the men who raped them.

Not to mention that I've personally had one good male friend who was wrongfully accused of raping a woman. Later, she admitted that they never even had sex, much less that he raped her. Of course, by then the damage was done to his reputation. How any woman could be so cruel as to put a guy through that type of misery is beyond me. I couldn't do it to my worst enemy.

Having said all that, I doubt we have all the facts here. I'll be interested to see what information comes out in the investigation.

Spoken wisely!

BTW: PM me your photo, age and phone #.:D

Follow up:

Pilot Faces Judge on Rape Charge

8/3/2005 10:23:38 PM

A man charged in the rape of a 16-year-old girl at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport will remain in jail without bond following his first court appearance in Clayton County Wednesday afternoon.

The girl told police that Michael Matthews sexually assaulted her about 2 p.m. Tuesday inside a stairwell that leads from the tarmac to Concourse C. The area is unrestricted, police officials said.

"The stairwell is an open access area out on the concourse. It is not a secured stairwell as (has) been reported whereas you have to have a card or a pass to get in. It's an open area," said Major Darryl Tolleson of the Atlanta police.

The girl told police that Matthews struck up a conversation with her when they boarded the plane in an undisclosed Florida city. By the time they landed in Atlanta, the teen said Matthews invited her to join him in the stairwell for the walk up to the concourse.

Matthews, who is from Daytona Beach, Fla., told Atlanta police that he was on his way to work in Ohio.

He said the sexual incident was consensual. The teenager was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital where officers said her injuries were consistent with a sexual assault.

Matthews is charged with rape and one count of sexual battery. He is not charged with statutory rape because the teenager is above the age of consent in Georgia.

Matthews was arrested by Atlanta police but turned over to Clayton County authorities where the airport is located.

In a four-minute hearing today, Matthews told a skeptical judge he could not afford an attorney despite his occupation as a pilot.

“I know most people think [pilots] make a $100,000 a year, but it's not like that where I work. I make $36,000 a year divided by 12,” Matthews said.

Matthews told a judge he works for Flight Options, a charter operation in Cleveland, Ohio.

A Flight Options spokesman told 11Alive News, “We are unable to confirm that this individual is a Flight Options employee.”

The judge will appoint a lawyer, and Matthews will remain at the Clayton County Jail until his next hearing on August 9.

It's amazing how much power women hold in our society. They say one word, "rape", and your life is torn apart forever. Period-you're done.

Men are always guilty until proven innocent (like being proved innocent makes it all better...). You marry them, they take your money. They divorce you, and they take your kids, house, half your business if you have one, and most of the money you make for a good while after. And its always our fault-even if it hasn't been proven that it is.

It sucks because it gives the bad women the power to ruin your trust in all women-even the good ones, which are few and far between these days.

If he hasn't been proven guilty, then he should be treated as innocent. But I bet he already lost his job regardless of whether or not he did it.

NookyBooky said:
But I bet he already lost his job regardless of whether or not he did it.
Not to mention the way his family will look at him now...

English and LUVChild...your posts are like a breath of fresh air. Thankyou.

I would be curious to know what this guy's background is...as in, does he have a previous criminal record? It seems like a big step, going from law abiding to rapist over the course of a plane ride. He clearly has a lot to lose...not only his job, but his career, family, friends, and, well, his life as he knows it.

I hope that the investigation is very thorough. Accusing someone of rape is very serious and she should be interviewed and interrogated (nicely, it's an ugly word) to make sure that this is legitimate. She is a young girl...could she have thought it would be cool to "make it" with a pilot in uniform in the airport, but then, during the activity, or immediately afterwords, get scared and think, "what am I doing?!" Being young and not knowing what else to do, she cries rape afterwords to try and make the problem go away? Now daddy doesn't have to know I had sex (consensual) with him.
OR, it was consensual in the beginning, then she started having second thoughts and tried to stop, but he, ahem, finished. In this case, they are both telling the truth...neither telling the full truth. If this is the case, he went too far and the penalty is having a rap sheet with the word "rape" on it.

Let's hope they get to the bottom of this. Unfortunately, the only person on this guys side is his lawyer. Public opinion, the media, and other people who are involved are on her side.

Get the real story, then let him pick up the pieces of his shattered life OR pick up the soap-on-a-rope.

NookyBooky: "Men are always guilty until proven innocent (like being proved innocent makes it all better...). You marry them, they take your money. They divorce you, and they take your kids, house, half your business if you have one, and most of the money you make for a good while after. And its always our fault-even if it hasn't been proven that it is."

1. Am I the only one amused that a poster using "NookyBooky" is judging the potential adverse impact of intimate encounters?

2. Yes, being a guy has it's downside...but look at it this way:

We don't have that whole menses thing to worrry about (although I worry about it every 28 days in MY house...), and we can pee anywhere, so the World is ouir urinal!

And yes, our external genitals are susceptable to kneecaps and fastballs, but we can still be President in this lifetime.

And we can eat a banana in a hardware store without drawing a crowd.

Biggest bummer: "Women and children first!" (that was NOT thought up by a guy!)

Hmmm.....someone knows a trick to hold a snakes jaws open??? Hmmm... do tell...
Well ... for North American pit vipers ... you can grab them just behind the quadrate bone (where the head begins to form a triangle) and sometimes if you squeeze gently, you'll get a rattler or a cottom mouth to 'gape'. Cotton mouths will do this for no reason at all, in fact.

Not that there is anything inherently sexual in this ... I wouldn't know about that ... or at least I wouldn't admit it.

:(

Minh "Snakum" Thong

"I'll $#^* a snake if you hold the head!"
:D

What's really cool about cases like these, is the real criminal is free to roam the streets while society and the criminal justice system do a nizzle pile on the wrong guy...

After being locked up for 26 years as a wrongfully convicted serial rapist, Luis Diaz strolled through the front doors of Miami-Dade County's justice center on Wednesday with his arms raised in victory. Wearing a tan guayabera shirt instead of the prison jumpsuit he has worn for years, Diaz praised God, and walked to his family a free and innocent man.

Diaz, 67, walked free because of a series of DNA tests by police and the Innocence Project, a nonprofit organization that works to exonerate inmates. After the tests showed that he could not have committed the crimes, Miami-Dade prosecutors moved to vacate five convictions against the man who served a quarter of a century in prison as the "Bird Road Rapist."

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Cristina Pereya-Shuminer ordered Diaz free following a brief but emotional hearing in which prosecutors announced they were dropping the decades-old cases.

Four hours later, a frail looking Diaz shuffled out of a courtroom and into the arms of family members who applauded, cried and hoisted him into the air.

"I always had faith that my longtime dream would be realized," Diaz said later at a news conference.

In 1979, prosecutors formally charged Diaz in eight separate but similar cases in which the victims were kidnapped, robbed and raped. For almost two years, the crimes caused fear in the Miami-Dade neighborhood of Westchester during the late '70s, while authorities searched in vain for the rapist.

At the time, police thought the rapist was responsible for attacking at least 25 women in the area of U.S. 1 and Bird Road near Coral Gables.

Prosecutors simultaneously tried Diaz on the eight cases in 1980, and largely relied on eyewitness testimony. During the trial, women repeatedly identified Diaz as their attacker. A six-person jury later convicted Diaz on four rapes, three attempted rapes, five kidnappings, and a series of robbery and firearm charges. A Miami-Dade judge sentenced him to 13 terms of life in prison for the rapes, plus 55 years for the other charges.

Since then, two of the victims came forward and recanted their positive identification of Diaz. The recantations were part of the relentless work of Virginia Snyner, a retired private investigator from Delray Beach who took on the Diaz case as a personal crusade.

Witness testimony lands another innocent in prison...

A Lake County man who spent more than 4 years in state prison for rape, only to be cleared by DNA tests after he had served his sentence, was granted a pardon Wednesday by Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

"After all these years, I'm free like a bird," Alejandro Dominguez said after learning that the governor had granted his clemency request.

Dominguez, 31, can now apply to the Illinois Court of Claims to receive financial compensation for his time spent in prison.

Dominguez was 16 when he was charged with the September 1989 home invasion and rape in Waukegan. He was convicted in a 1990 trial, in large part because the victim identified him as her attacker.

Dominguez insisted he was wrongly identified and was innocent.

Sentenced to 9 years in state prison, he served more than 4years, receiving time off for good behavior, before he was released in December 1993.

Even though he was free, Dominguez continued to try to prove his innocence. His conviction required him to register as a sex offender and made it difficult to get a job. He said he also had trouble obtaining financial aid to go to college.

Dominguez persuaded lawyer Jed Stone to seek DNA testing on semen recovered from the victim.

The tests excluded Dominguez as a source of the semen, and they prompted Lake County prosecutors and Stone to ask a judge to vacate the convictions.

Victims got it easy when looking at pictures of suspects...the police just put a big letter in red on your photo and then nudge you to look at the photo some more. Some would call it one thing, others would call it something else...but VAVSO would have you just sign away your rights, after all...what have you got to hide?

PITTSBURGH (AP) - A man who spent nearly 18 years behind bars for a rape he didn't commit was released from prison Monday after new tests of DNA evidence cleared him.

Prosecutors joined defense attorneys on Monday in asking a judge to free Thomas Doswell, 44, after DNA in the case was retested by the nonprofit Innocence Project at the Benjamin N. Cardoza School of Law in New York.

``These tests confirmed what Mr. Doswell has been saying from the moment he was charged, that he was innocent and that this was a misidentification brought about by police officers who may have engaged in misconduct,'' said Colin Starger of the Innocence Project.

Doswell, of Homewood, was convicted in the 1986 rape of a 48-year-old woman at a hospital in Pittsburgh. He was 25 and the father of two young children when he was convicted.

He was sentenced to 13 to 26 years in prison and was denied parole four times because he refused to accept responsibility for the crime.

Prosecutors originally opposed DNA testing for Doswell, but a judge ordered it. When the tests came back last month showing that semen taken from the victim was not from Doswell, prosecutors filed motions to vacate his sentence and have him released.

The victim and another witness had picked out Doswell's photo among a group of eight shown to them by police.

At the time, Pittsburgh police identified mug shots of people charged with rape with the letter ``R.'' Doswell insisted witnesses identified him as the rapist only because the letter ``R'' appeared under his mug shot.

His photo was marked because an ex-girlfriend had accused him of rape, but he was acquitted of that charge

Latest resources

Back