• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Concessions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is AirTran. AirTran. There is no freaking 's' in AirTran. Do you know how tired you get of people saying 'who do you fly for? AirTrans' No AirTran. AirTrans, hmm never heard of em. youse guys fly dem litte planes. AirTrans. hmm.'

No freaking 's'.

Maybe if we had NATIONALS section in this forum, people wouldn't get so confused.

Continental pilots haven't given anything back... Gordon Bethune is lauding the fact that our employee groups are still getting paid the same as before. Who'd've thought the bottom would come up to meet us? We were always the ones on the bottom of the pay scale.

That said, we have 400 or so mainline guys on furlough... three years ago here in CLE, we had 320 FO's - it's down to 120 for November 2003.

The article that said that Delta pilots were the only ones not taking cuts was probably the "Atlanta Constitution" and in Leo Mullin's back pocket.

Although not quite a major yet, projection is for next year-- JetBlue pilots went to 70 hour minimum schedules post 9-11 and then back to normal hours a month later. Additionally, the airline held back a promised raise but reinstated the 32% pay hike in Nov 2001, AND paid it retroactively. All these decisions were made by management with little or no pilot input... The key here is the flexibility of a non-union group of workers and the management philosophy of taking care of their employees-- to date, about 500 pilots have been added to the seniority list since 9-11.

Juat a thought about unions...

Im not trying to stir the pot, but I take it by your comments that you are promoting a non union pilot work force as the reason that JB and the gang are so successful. Am I on the right track???

Well, I think its surely short sidedness on your part to think that all the answers of an airlines success and company/pilot relations can be fixed by using the JB model (non union). You guys have been around for how long, 1-3 years (not sure how long). Yes, things are going great up to now, Most the company is happy that things are turning in their favor, and as far as the pilots, well, I cant speak directly for them since I don’t work there but Im sure most of you are just happy to have a job flying (like me).

Its been proven through the years that the advances in aviation and the successes of most pilot groups have been through collective bargaining by a united work force through their Union reps, were it not for that, we'd all still be in the ice ages, and Im not just talking about pay and bennies, there’s also safety, work, scope, rest issues to name just a few.

Don’t get me wrong, Im not a fanatic Union flag waver, I was Military for a large part of my career, and Unions did not sit very well with me, but I do know that Im card holder now and I understand they are necessary in this business.

Your philosophy of letting management determine your future based on the betterment of the company sounds great, everyone is happy.. FOR NOW... Try allowing a company like UPS, AA, FedEx, DAL, UAL, SWA, we'll any of the carriers that have been around long enough to have a past, determine your future and every pilot would be a reserve line holder with an unlimited call out period, working 22 days a month, flying all night long (or day) for 60 bucks an hour (as a Capt) with no retirement...

You guys act like you've re-invented the wheel, your closest model of success is SWA and even they have union reps on the property. Use the tools you have to move forward. A wheel is a wheel, any way you roll it. The day will come when your pilot group will want more and your company will want to give you less, your position will change, and you'll all be looking for a union to rep you...

For now, enjoy the honeymoon

Fraternally
100% united

calfo said:
Continental pilots haven't given anything back... Gordon Bethune is lauding the fact that our employee groups are still getting paid the same as before. Who'd've thought the bottom would come up to meet us? We were always the ones on the bottom of the pay scale.

That said, we have 400 or so mainline guys on furlough... three years ago here in CLE, we had 320 FO's - it's down to 120 for November 2003.

The article that said that Delta pilots were the only ones not taking cuts was probably the "Atlanta Constitution" and in Leo Mullin's back pocket.

Actually, there are 637 CAL Pilots on furlough.

Other airlines:

AA: 2243
UAL: 1863
USAir: 1839
Delta: 1265
NWA: 918

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back