Pilatus PC12 vs. King Air200

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimG

As I was pulling into the airport today, I ran into a guy who was leaving, that had a very nice 10 y/o King Air that he'd just traded in (sold) to buy a 3 y/o PC12.

I didn't get the details from him, but the line guys told me he's a fairly low time pilot (500-1000 hours) and had trouble getting insured on the KAir single pilot and they think gave up.

With permission, I crawled up into the front seat and dreamt for a little while as I waited for my 340 to be pulled out of the hangar, and it made me wonder...

Other than the peace of mind that two props out front give some people....this trade "down" made alot of sense to me.

Anyone here with enough time in both to be able to compare?

This isnt the first thread like this...

Do a search there has been a few. More useful load in the 12 and the cruise speed is only about 5-10kts slower. Operating cost is lower expect this plane to be on the rise as the cost of the barrel go up.

The PC-12 will takeoff at 73 kts, cruise at 280, and land at 64 kts (full flaps), and the airplane is idiot-proof. Many of the systems are designed with owner/operators in mind (such as no prop lever). I have been able to out run some of the older king airs, but as far as cost to operate, the PC-12 is only $300/hour. If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying myself a PC-12!

Knob said:
The PC-12 will takeoff at 73 kts, cruise at 280, and land at 64 kts (full flaps), and the airplane is idiot-proof. Many of the systems are designed with owner/operators in mind (such as no prop lever). I have been able to out run some of the older king airs, but as far as cost to operate, the PC-12 is only $300/hour. If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying myself a PC-12!

280??!! You probably want to get your ADC checked, cause if it is showing 280 true you have a problem in your electronics somewhere! :) Either that or you are turning way too much torque or ITT on that Pratt!! ;)

260 to 263 is all I ever saw. KA 200 will out run it.....barely.

Knob said:
The PC-12 will takeoff at 73 kts, cruise at 280, and land at 64 kts (full flaps),...

Holy CRAP! Sounds like a souped up, super cruise, 172 or Cherokee....yikes!

That sounds like a fun plane to fly...I'm jealous now.

-mini

All I've seen is 260-263 in cruise. The PC12 also has a slightly bigger cabin than a 200. It also has awesome short field capability. In the sim, I took it in and out of a 1500 foot strip with a 50 ft obstacle on each end.

KeroseneSnorter said:
280??!! You probably want to get your ADC checked, cause if it is showing 280 true you have a problem in your electronics somewhere! :) Either that or you are turning way too much torque or ITT on that Pratt!! ;)

260 to 263 is all I ever saw. KA 200 will out run it.....barely.

That's why I posed this question. I've read many articles on the PC12, but never flown one to know how bad they fudge the #'s. Most of what I've read states 275 ktas as the cruise speed.

The sad thing is the aviation magazines help them get away with it for ad space in future issues.

Fyi

PC-12 in overall performance blows any King Air away, including the 350

if you want to drink double gas and have an avionics panel that has not changed since (basically) the Queen Air, buy a King Air.

If you want 2000 NM with 260-ish TAS, nonstop, at half the fuel burn (last time I checked Jet-A was not cheap), with a cabin LARGER than a B-200 buy a PC-12.

Latest resources

Back