Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
satpak77 said:
PC-12 in overall performance blows any King Air away, including the 350

if you want to drink double gas and have an avionics panel that has not changed since (basically) the Queen Air, buy a King Air.

If you want 2000 NM with 260-ish TAS, nonstop, at half the fuel burn (last time I checked Jet-A was not cheap), with a cabin LARGER than a B-200 buy a PC-12.

It is a nice airplane, I flew one for a little over a year. More comfortable than a 200 in my opinion, 2000 NM range is accurate though...........if you do not mind have near zero reserve. Like any turbine, it will suck some serious fuel down low if you get dragged down and held up by ATC or weather. It is a one stop airplane coast to coast if the weather is right and the wind gods are treating you good on the west bound leg. 1800nm is all I would flight plan for......besides, 6.5 hour legs in a single pilot airplane is rough enough on the bladder.

Easy to fly, hauls a good load, fairly cheap to operate.........just make sure you find a not too bright fellow to wash the thing at a flat rate.....Basically it is a big king air nacelle......after 10 hours it needs a bath, after 20 hours it looks like the inside of a chimney, and if after 30 hours if you still have not washed it, you are probably better off just repainting the thing!!!!!

satpak77 said:
PC-12 in overall performance blows any King Air away, including the 350

if you want to drink double gas and have an avionics panel that has not changed since (basically) the Queen Air, buy a King Air.

...you've obviously never flown a 350 with the Pro-Line 21 avionics panel ;)

It's cool to see an interest in the P-12 by forum members. I feel safe in single engine turbines and I think fuel prices are going to have a lot of operators looking at utilizing them.

The piston twin market must be drying up, so eventually operators are going to have to move over to Caravans, PC-12's and whatever else comes to the market.

I hate to use the term never, but I never want to go back to flying recip twins for a living again.

kingairyahoo said:
...you've obviously never flown a 350 with the Pro-Line 21 avionics panel ;)

dude the one I fly now has one

point being, the round dials and audio panel and trim controls are no different (not much) from a Queen Air

later

I just have to ask....

My personal deal with a twin is the ability it affords me to limp to a emergency landing area of my choice (ie: continuing flight to an airport 30 miles away vice 11-12--or whatever the glide is on the single engine plane).

If an engine fails on TO in a King Air you are still going (at least every one I have flown this was not an issue).

SO, other than fuel and maintenance, why would you want to fly a SE plane when given the choice of a ME??? Please enlighten me because I am feeling stupid.

Also, if your argument is the reliability of the PT-6 or whichever turbine is on the Pilatus or other SE turbine plane, don't you think the fact that aircraft manufacturers are producing more of these type of planes will cause the reliability statistics to lean the other way (when you have more of these planes not being maintained properly, etc..)??

Thanks

dhc8fo said:
I just have to ask....

My personal deal with a twin is the ability it affords me to limp to a emergency landing area of my choice (ie: continuing flight to an airport 30 miles away vice 11-12--or whatever the glide is on the single engine plane).

If an engine fails on TO in a King Air you are still going (at least every one I have flown this was not an issue).

SO, other than fuel and maintenance, why would you want to fly a SE plane when given the choice of a ME??? Please enlighten me because I am feeling stupid.

Also, if your argument is the reliability of the PT-6 or whichever turbine is on the Pilatus or other SE turbine plane, don't you think the fact that aircraft manufacturers are producing more of these type of planes will cause the reliability statistics to lean the other way (when you have more of these planes not being maintained properly, etc..)??

Thanks

In my opinion I believe that a multi-turbine is safer (especially one with auto-feather) than the single PT6.
Pilatus markets on the stat that single engine turbine engine loss have had historically a better survivability than multi-turbine losing one engine.

I dont know where they got these stats, but they publicize it on thier brochere.

The weakest part of the PT6 engine is IMHO the FCU, fuel control unit. In the rare instances that PT6 engines have failed it has generally been because of the FCU. I think in all single engine turbines there is some type of MOR, Manual override lever that is a direct linkage to the fuel metering valve, in case of a Py leak.

With that said, I do believe that a single engine turbine is safer than a piston twin. If your flying piston twins for hire, I'd imagine youre at or "very close" to your gross. Just being in a beat up old piston twin having considerably less power than a turbine brings you much closer to a dangerously unfavorable condition. Single engine T/O are much more critical, and the threat of a VMC roll is more ominous.

safest 767, 757, 777, G5, G4, Citation X (High thrust to weight ratio turbojets, unless you are making a water landing, than something other than an underwing engine mount)

Multi-turbine props

Single turbine

Twin Piston

Single Piston

Space Shuttle :D
My prayers are always with them for thier return.

The Natural

dhc8fo said:
I just have to ask....

Thanks

In the PC-12, you can glide about 2 miles for every 1000' of altitude. In most parts of the country, there's an airport within gliding distance. If not, then there's probably a nice road or a field.

Even losing one on takeoff, in the simulator, I made it back to the runway after losing the engine at 800 AGL on takeoff. In the real world, 1000 AGL is more realistic.

Remember the PC-12 that landed on a highway in a city? After all, from the high 20s and low 30s, you can glide a loooooong ways.....

chriskcmo said:
In the PC-12, you can glide about 2 miles for every 1000' of altitude. In most parts of the country, there's an airport within gliding distance. If not, then there's probably a nice road or a field.

Even losing one on takeoff, in the simulator, I made it back to the runway after losing the engine at 800 AGL on takeoff. In the real world, 1000 AGL is more realistic.

Not a big fan of the single thing either, but for the most part the PC-12 could make it to a landing spot. The only times I didn't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling was those 600 to 1000 rvr takeoffs and in heavy ifr.........not many options if it takes a dump on you.

200 1/2 days I would rather be turning two so I can at least have time to shoot an ILS.

Hang two motors on that thing and you have got an airplane that would outsell everything out there!

When the boss hears it go silent he may decide that two is cost justifiable.

Latest resources

Back