Piedmont to close all Florida bases.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude,

PDT guys don't whine, first off. In fact CCAir guys are the best example of a strong pilot group standing up to Mesa MGT. They took it from Mesa, stood strong, went down but had the pride of knowing they didn't give one red cent to Jonnie o.

We haven't reached an agreement with management-and since we refuse to work for the corn feed MESA works for-we'll hit the street. Yeah, I'm looking to leave and I'm not gonna whine and say "poor me" 'cause I know how this industry works. If I have to get out of aviation 'cause nobody hires me, well then that's life.

But, it is true we blame Mesa for most of our downfall, in fact in the most recent "Airline Pilot Careers" magazine "Ask the Counselor" section it states: "(At) The US Airways wholly owned sub. growth as been strained and uneven....independent carriers, such as Mesa Airlines, have absorbed much of the growth in US Airways regional network." I bring this up because I did my research before entering the regional market. I looked at Mesa five years ago, saw the low pay, horrible TDY/stand-up overnights, million plus bases, bleak financials and overall poor benifits package. If you went to MESA you knew how bad it was before you got there and therefore should see how much better everyone else has/had it and try to bring your contract up to par-strike if you have too!

We don't own routes, we just sat back and watched everyone else grow and upgrade up from the Dash thinking things would get better for us with the merger, well we all know what happened there.

Anyway, we except our fate-but don't expect us to be all happy go lucky and wave like a retard when a MESA RJ passes us in JAX. Some 150 pilots are having their families, lives, etc displaced 'cause it's cheapier to TDY y'all down there.

It's a crazy industry, I respect all pilots, including MESA, but anyone at MESA Air Group should take our "bashing" as tough love, by understanding the effect your contract had on ALG, PDT and CCAir and fight to make all our lives better.

Peace out

Great post, and well said my friend!

Again, who is US? You are not at a WO. The only airline that I can think of that flys 1900's in the U system is Colgan. I have seen the pay rates at Colgen and they are worse then Mesa's. If not Colgen who? How is Mesa trying to take your flying? -Bean

Hey Beantown

If I'm not mistaken, CC Air, Air Midwest, and Colgan fly the 1900 for US Air...

So if Mesa paid what PDT pays, would this be happening?

There might be a downsize which was already happening in JAX and TPA.

Simple fact is, If people would not work for food to fly for cut throat operations this would not be happening.

I dont make diddly in the grand scheme of things working for PDT as it is, compare my wage to a mainline bag thrower. How much cheaper does it have to be, the WO's are not the problem.

No ethics, pure and simple.

I dont want to bash Mesa, people do what they have to do, we all (regional) pilots work our a$$es off everyday, together.

Good luck fellow PDT's, the writing is on the wall.

My .02

A different perspective...

At my company we "sold out" to get jets on the property, Mesa did the same years ago, and I do believe a WO has now also. While management at Mesa is a different story the real problem are us the pilots.

It is not so much as working for just food or working for a cutthroat operation as it is our own ego's. We all want to fly the BEST equipment, make the most money, have the best schedules, and have a great contract. Not one regional has the whole deal, (well maybe Air Wisc is close) and if one did EVERYONE would want to be there!

If you look at those "all jet" carriers, they by far have had the most growth, which in most cases have yielded to the ego's of the pilots.

Let's be real here... If you had a carrier who offered the same pay for a 1900, dash or a erj, do you thnk everyone would pick the 1900? Heck, the line for the ERJ would be 3-4 times the line for either of the other 2 aircraft, but the pay would be the same! Why is that? It is the pilots, not the company, we can be our own worst enemies!

JO got the people to do what HE wants by offering opportunity. Most of those guys who signed on to the contract that allows him to be a cutthroat are long gone. They got that PIC jet time and bolted. Upgrades at one time were down to 14 months to a jet, when at PDT they still were 2 1/2 years or more and other carriers who had jets were much more than Mesa's upgrade time. Many guys went to Mesa for opportunity which in our industry equates to a better senority number which equates to better opportunities at our carrier of choice. That dude who did the Mesa thing and is now at Jet Blue by shaving off a year or more is not regretting his decision.

It is a cycle that the airlines breed and our ego's encourage.

Don't know the rest of the particulars, but saving $7./hr on the FO pay isn't the difference between making it profitable or not . . . . there are definitely deeper issues than that in play.

Ty is 100% correct.

My poverty earnings at PDT, which by the way is alot better than the 1900 Mesa pilot, has no bearing on the economic situation with the "Florida flying", I dont hear anyone saying anything or even posing the question of WHY PDT has't to be shutdown in the south.

Lets see, we have the oldest Dash's in the fleet operating just Florida, the airplanes have been paid off for years.

Operating costs, give me a break.

Load factors, I say again, give me a break.

And it sure aint my salary that is pushing US over the edge.

Whats the bottom line, Mainline trying to sqeeze blood from a brick.

We can go on and on about this subject, I'm done with it. Im counting the days that I am done at the regionals as well, bring on the box flying!

Good luck everybody, we all need it in this trying times.

Posted on Fri, Aug. 09, 2002

CCAir loses 6 routes to Piedmont
TED REED
Staff Writer

US Airways, in a move to strengthen its commuter operations, said
Thursday it will give subsidiary Piedmont Airlines more routes to
Charlotte.

In November, Piedmont will take over six routes operated by Charlotte-
based CCAir -- a transfer that CCAir President Carter Leake
conceded "tightens the screws" on his struggling airline.

Eventually, Piedmont is expected to take over more Charlotte routes
from other carriers, as US Airways increases the number of small,
regional jets that it operates. Under a contract approved Thursday by
its pilots, US Airways will be able to fly 465 small jets, up from
70. Several small carriers, operating collectively as US Airways
Express, fly about 200 of US Airways' 500 daily Charlotte departures.

Salisbury, Md.-based Piedmont employs 2,400 people, operating a
sprawling system between Maine and Florida. As it moves into
Charlotte, Piedmont will pull out of Florida, giving its routes to
Phoenix-based Mesa Air Group, which owns CCAir.

"The time has come for us to concentrate on more hub flying to
support US Airways with connecting passengers through Charlotte,"
said Piedmont President John Leonard, in a letter to employees.

Leonard said Piedmont has done poorly in Florida -- the market is
dominated by low-fare, leisure flying -- and that its assets "will be
more profitably employed" in Charlotte.

The change indicates that US Airways is shoring up its regional
operation, said David Field, Americas editor for Airline Business
magazine. "It shows that (president) David Siegel will focus on the
regional jets and the feeder airlines," Field said.

He added that Mesa can increase its Florida routes and might make
money where higher-cost Piedmont couldn't.

The switch is a blow to CCAir, which is locked in a battle with the
Air Line Pilots Association. In April, CCAir pilots approved a new
contract, endorsed by ALPA, which allows them to fly small jets. But
national ALPA leaders have since refused to sign the contract, saying
it contains too many concessions.

The future of CCAir, which only flies turboprop planes, now depends
on the outcome of a suit filed against ALPA by CCAir pilots, said
Leake. "If the federal court does not force ALPA to sign a contract
supported by 72 percent of our pilots, we will not be in the running
for new regional jet flying, and we will cease operations

Florida Flying??....

Who did those routes before PDT, Mesa, CCAir etc. flew them?
CLT-GNV,TLH and the MIA to TPA,GNV,TLH,MCO,JAX,DAB,RSW,SRQ,PNS,MLB

A hint: It was called the Florida Shuttle flown with BAE-146's.
back in the early 90's.

The true blood bath will be when U merges the WO lists for MidAtlantic.

Latest resources

Back