• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIC on a flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IMO, the flight plan is a legal record of the flight. If the flight plan is intentionally innacurate, I doubt the FAA is going to be very nice about it.

So here is the real question, should you be lazy and not change the flight plan risking legal actions with career ramifications or change the flight plan to be accurate?

It is the responsibilty of the dispatched Captain to comply with the regs. If he chooses to accept an ATC clearance that is associated with a flight plan he did did not file then it's his arse if any deviations occur. The FAA could certainly have a field day with this...

Right, but with the captain flying not the captain that didn't cancel the plan.
No. Whoever was listed as PIC of the flight is responsible. Not who has the controls.

Although not everyone has a dispatch.
It doesn't matter. There are certain personnel listed in your OPSPECS who have the authority to dispatch a flight. Whoever they designate as PIC is the one responsible for the conduct of the flight.

The FAA will call the listed PIC on the flight plan if there is a problem. International trips get really interesting if the PIC is in the crew rest area. Been there,done that..........

Last edited:
No. Whoever was listed as PIC of the flight is responsible. Not who has the controls.

So to be safe from a violation, when I file a flight plan I should just file a different PIC and I can't be violated?

Your comment sounds like it lacks logic(which wouldn't be a stretch for the FAA).

So to be safe from a violation, when I file a flight plan I should just file a different PIC and I can't be violated?

Your comment sounds like it lacks logic(which wouldn't be a stretch for the FAA).
The PIC of the flight is whoever the company you work for says it is. What is filed on the flight plan makes no difference. Why is this such a difficult concept?

The PIC is responsible for the safe operation of the entire flight, regardless of who is operating the controls. He has the authority to take the controls at any time if he feels an unsafe situation exists or if the other person is about to commit a violation. The FAA has been known to go after everyone in the cockpit.

The PIC of the flight is whoever the company you work for says it is. What is filed on the flight plan makes no difference. Why is this such a difficult concept?

The PIC is responsible for the safe operation of the entire flight, regardless of who is operating the controls. He has the authority to take the controls at any time if he feels an unsafe situation exists or if the other person is about to commit a violation. The FAA has been known to go after everyone in the cockpit.

I may have mis-read your previous comment. When you said "listed" I assumed that you meant on the flight plan. My mistake.

No prob. Fly safe brother.

Latest resources

Back