PIC on a flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain4242

I'm hoping people will give me their thoughts on this...
Suppose the 135 company I fly for dispatches me for a trip for the next day. I file my flight plans, with my name as the PIC. Then (because we're 135) things change; I'll fly tonight, and another Captain will fly my trip tomorrow. Is it a good idea for me to cancel the flight plans I've already submitted? Should I be a nice guy and save the new Captain the job of filing? Then suppose he does something stupid and the FAA wants to know who flew the plane? Would the FAA believe me if I said "I let him use my flight plans but I wasn't there".
Thoughts and ideas.
Thanks.

Unless you plan to brief the other pilot and review the flight with him, why have him use your flight plan and flight planning? Suppose he wants different routing for weather, NOTAMs, or different altitudes, etc? Let him file and go.

I'd call and get FSS to dump your original flight plan. Now if you run scheduled 135 the question is why don't you have canned flight plans on file?

I would think it is illegal. If your name is on the paperwork you are the "pilot in command" of the aircraft. If another pilot actually flies the trip and the paperwork is not changed then i guess technically there is not a legal flight plan on file. i would even go furthur to say your company would open themselves up to the almighty "command and control" bag of worms....................................

I would think it is illegal. If your name is on the paperwork you are the "pilot in command" of the aircraft. If another pilot actually flies the trip and the paperwork is not changed then i guess technically there is not a legal flight plan on file. i would even go furthur to say your company would open themselves up to the almighty "command and control" bag of worms....................................

Ya I agree, the Feds would be up your ass and your company's ass on a dime. They love nothing more than to nitpick at this kind of stuff as it is ego food for them.

I would think if your name was on the flight plan and you didn't do the trip, then the FAA wouldn't much care that you "clicked" your name on fltplan.com. I can't imagine that if something happened, the feds would prosecute you for having your name on there, even though you didn’t do the trip.

I would think if your name was on the flight plan and you didn't do the trip, then the FAA wouldn't much care that you "clicked" your name on fltplan.com. I can't imagine that if something happened, the feds would prosecute you for having your name on there, even though you didn’t do the trip.

Yes, but I don't think the FAA would mind going after the Captain that's flying the plan without his name on it. What happens if theres a devaition of clearance?

What matters is who has operational control to dispatch the flight. Whoever in your company that dispatched the flight named the PIC. That is the only thing that matters. Who's name that was on the flight plan has been filed is irrelevant.

What matters is who has operational control to dispatch the flight. Whoever in your company that dispatched the flight named the PIC. That is the only thing that matters. Who's name that was on the flight plan has been filed is irrelevant.

Although not everyone has a dispatch.

Latest resources

Back