• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIC on a flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just cancel your flight plan that you have filed. Easy enough. However, if the company or the other pilot decide to use your flight plan with your name on it I would review USC Title 18 sec. 1001.

For those that don't know what that is......"Any person who makes a false statement, verbally or in writing, to any Federal official is subject to 5 years in jail or a $25,000 fine or both". That should answer the question.

Just cancel your flight plan that you have filed. Easy enough. However, if the company or the other pilot decide to use your flight plan with your name on it I would review USC Title 18 sec. 1001.

For those that don't know what that is......"Any person who makes a false statement, verbally or in writing, to any Federal official is subject to 5 years in jail or a $25,000 fine or both". That should answer the question.

I think this is the same warning that is on my mattress, and, oh yeah, the one that appears before I watch a movie!

If you are operating part 135 then your company's opspecs outline who has operational control to dispatch a flight. Therefore whoever dispatched the flight assigned the PIC. Regardless of what the flight plan says the PIC assigned by the company is the ONLY one with the final authority and command over the aircraft.

Regardless of what the flight plan says the PIC assigned by the company is the ONLY one with the final authority and command over the aircraft.

Under 135.109 that is my understanding of a requirement. I don't think though that alleviates the need for that designated person to match the PIC on the flight plan. When the flight plan is filed who is designated needs to also be on that flight plan. What am I missing?

You are right that it should. But if the designated PIC did not ensure that he was the name on the flight plan it would probably result in another slap on the wrist or an additional fine. But if something happens, and the flight plan was filed incorrectly, the FAA doesn't care whose name is on the flt plan. They care about who was assigned by the company as the PIC. He is the one who has the authority for the safe conduct of the flight.

Latest resources

Back