Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlickerFade said:
It Would Not Be A Fu#%&ng Merger!!!!!!!!!!!! It Would Be a Purchase of
the assets of A Bankrupt Company! Like AA Bought TWA.

So you're basically saying the AQ guys will get stapled at the bottom or reinterview, and no AQ debt coming over???

There is no shortage of bad blood between these to pilot groups. It would be very interesting to see how it would work if there were a "merger" or "buy-out".

What I'm saying is this:

As bad as the TWA/AA deal was, even they did not staple all the TWA guys, so no I am not suggesting that radical a thing as in your post Whalerider.

AQ has expanded, borrowed, had no effective business plan, and is now broke.

So I am fully supporting the recall of all HAL furloughees if an acquisition occurs. And a realization that it cannot be considered fair to integrate 1 for 1 or date of hire, just as stapling is not fair. In between these two there is room for negotiation, but it is not equal.

Aloha.

Last edited:
FlickerFade said:
What I'm saying is this:

So I am fully supporting the recall of all HAL furloughees if an acquisition occurs. And a realization that it cannot be considered fair to integrate 1 for 1 or date of hire, just as stapling is not fair. In between these two there is room for negotiation, but it is not equal.

Hey HAL. If you see this, please email me. You got that survey together and I am thinking that you would be a good person to pool us on furlough to get us speaking with one loud voice. We need to be contacting Mr. Dunk and the MEC. I don't think that your current USAir/HP integration is the same as HAL/AQ. As I stated earlier, it seems a lot more like AA/TWA to me.

Aloha.

FF,

Unfortunately from what I've seen in the HP/US merger, I'm guessing that an HA/AQ merger would be very similar. One company in bankruptcy, the other growing - and yet even though it is so close to a 'buyout', management keeps calling it a merger. And since we are both ALPA, the union merger policy comes into effect. With the AA/TWA merger the American union (APA) called the shots, and the TWA ALPA union was left hanging out to dry. What that means for the HA furloughees (as well as the US furloughees) is that no furloughed pilot can replace a working pilot. If HA does 'merge' with AQ, you can bet that just about everyone at AQ and ALPA would be screaming for us furloughees to be put below everyone working at HA AND AQ. In a word, we would be screwed.

But yes, I think we need to make our voice known if this does happen., and speak as one with our union, as well as a furloughee group.

HAL

Isn't Don Carty involved with Hawaiian?

Hello, AA and TWA all over again.

Supposedly Dunkerley in the HNL pilot lounge said if there ever was a deal with Aloha, it would be an acquistion of parts of the airline and not it's debt. In otherwords, not a merger. He also said that he was well aware of the seniority issues and that the HAL furloughees would be taken care of.

I got this second had so I can not vouch for its accuracy. When I asked my source what Dunkerley meant by "taken care of", he said that Dunkerley meant all HAL furloughees would be recalled and any excess pilot would be from the Aloha ranks. He than said Dunkerly stressed that any speculation of a deal with Aloha was just that - speculation. It was just one of many possible scenarios and business opportunities HAL and RC were investigating.

FlickerFade - unfortunately HAL is partially correct. With HAL and AQ both being ALPA, the ALPA merger policy (which also addresses acquisitions) would come into play. Reno pointed this out on Hangar Talk. The good news is that an acquisition does not necessarily mean an acquistion of the whole airline (and hence the whole pilot group). For example, say HAL acquired the AQ interisland gates and cargo operation. With the gates, there are no pilots. With the cargo operation, there are only a limited number of pilots - equal to the crews required to man those cargo aircraft. Now if HAL just acquired the cargo routes/contracts, but did not acquire the aircraft - there once again are no pilots as part of the acquisition. It's really complicated. All I know is that I called the HAL ALPA office and I was assured that they believed any acquistion (not merger) would favor the HAL pilots including the furloughees over the AQ pilots. The merger policy also includes "career expectations" which are great at HAL and not good at AQ. Guess only time will tell....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back