• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PAX complain @ crew line-jumping

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was going through security in terminal F at PHL a few years ago when a USAirways mainline guy cut in front a passenger to get right behind me. The passenger made a very loud complaint about the USAirways guy, to which he replied, in an even louder voice (paraphrasing here):

"Listen, I go through an FBI background check, I am given control of the airplane, I am provided an axe and if I choose, I can carry a gun. It is stupid that I have to go through here to make sure I don't have fingernail clippers, so shut the f@&k up and let me go to work!"

It does not bother me in the least to walk in front of passengers - actually I sort of enjoy it.
It doesn't frustrate me either, but it does frustrate me that pilots have to schlep through bag check. It clearly frustrates the passengers and the more it does, the more likely they'll get CrewPass or an LAS-type setup.

My guess is if it were a uniformed flight crew member who bypassed this whiny d-bag, he wouldn't have been complaining like a little girl.
No they don't (usually) but they're just as upset nevertheless. And the more upset they are, the more likely some airports/airlines will start pushing for CrewPass or something like it.

I like it when a crewmember steps in front of passengers to get thru security, seemingly in a hurry, then a bit later the passenger he stepped in front of goes to the CNBC magazine/bookstore place and sees the same crerwmember very casually leafing thru magazines.

I like it when a crewmember steps in front of passengers to get thru security, seemingly in a hurry, then a bit later the passenger he stepped in front of goes to the CNBC magazine/bookstore place and sees the same crerwmember very casually leafing thru magazines.

Maybe the flights delayed? It dosent matter. Its one of the perks that we still have. Besides, these people pay nothing for their seats. They don't care about our pay or work rules, all they care about its getting from A - B as cheaply as possible, while expecting prime rib but paying for peanuts. Who gives a $^)# what they think?

MCO has designated Crew lines, shared with wheel chair pax.. I would think the airlines would require this at the airports they service, after all it is in their best interest to get the crews to work on time to prep the flight.. I don't get it.. why would this even be a ALPA concern in the first place... seems common sense to me.. Never said the airlines were smart..The TSA is a total feel good joke anyway

My company makes it the crews' problem to deal with getting through security on thier own. We are "at rest" until and required to be at the departure gate 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, so we have to judge the time (while on rest) it will take to get from the hotel and through security to make the 30 minute time. Not much of a problem for the Saab as most stations allow bypass but on the jet most don't and of course it's mostly large airports with long lines. Nothing like leaving the hotel 1 hour before starting on duty for the day to deal with set van times, long drives, and then long lines (think DEN)

Get this. At GoJet airlines they make the report time :45 prior to departure at the gate. This means, every time you see a GoJet crewmember hustling it through the security point they are on REST. They are so scared of being late they will climb over anything and everybody.

Sucks! It's the same at two airlines I've worked at. I'd be curious to know who has which policy, gate or airport.

lots of crews think they're unconditionally entitled to the front of a security line. While true in theory, this is where consideration can come into place.

After my ID gets checked, I look at my watch. If the line is 7 minutes long but the van got us here 20 minutes early, then I don't cut. If the line is 5 minutes long and I have 4 minutes to get to the plane, then yeah, I need to cut.

But to always cut and then go to the bookstore for 10 minutes to kill time, thats wrong.

lots of crews think they're unconditionally entitled to the front of a security line. While true in theory, this is where consideration can come into place.

After my ID gets checked, I look at my watch. If the line is 7 minutes long but the van got us here 20 minutes early, then I don't cut. If the line is 5 minutes long and I have 4 minutes to get to the plane, then yeah, I need to cut.

But to always cut and then go to the bookstore for 10 minutes to kill time, thats wrong.
No, it is wrong that we have to go through security at all. I'll cut every time and do as little of this circus act as possible because I shouldn't have to do it in the first place.

No, it is wrong that we have to go through security at all. I'll cut every time and do as little of this circus act as possible because I shouldn't have to do it in the first place.
Pilots don't have to be rude about it, but I agree, if everyone cuts in front it might accelerate the end of this charade and get CrewPass implemented sooner.

I think it will be one airport at a time, generally, but I could also envision an airline deciding that they were going to implement an LAS-type setup at all their hubs and spin it to their elite/first class as a benefit.

Latest resources

Back